MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-20-2003, 04:28 AM   #1
acidskie
Registered Member

Default Playing in the snow

Well it seems I have driven to work and after 12 hours, there is 2-4 inches on the ground and roads. I am going to hit the parking lot before going home and play a little. I am not looking forward to trying to drive home. I figure playing around some will get me a little more used to the car since I've never had a RWD and I've yet to even do a donut in this one. Wish me luck all!
acidskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
acidskie
Registered Member

Its official.... Mustanges blow in the snow LOL. *unless your just playing around* It was fun though I will admit. The rear is just so light that just a inch of snow made for a sideways ride. My last car was FWD and it never got sideways... it either went... or it spun. Last night I would move forward but I was doing it sideways just about the whole time. I tried pulling out in 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd at one point. Just at idle the car would spin out and turn sideways. While I was in the parking lot it was a blast. The roads were clear so I had no problems getting home but I couldn't make it up the drive so I had to park at the bottom of the hill. I don't think a 4WD would have made it up the drive though... not with it being a solid sheet of ice and the speed bumps.

I think that with a few bags of sand in the trunk that the car will do much better though. I have the stock Goodyear 245/45-17 tires on it. Anyone have any comments about these tires winter weather abliity?
Old 12-20-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
Titan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acidskie
I have the stock Goodyear 245/45-17 tires on it. Anyone have any comments about these tires winter weather abliity? [/B]
Ya, they suck...I had them for a few months. Although there's no snow (usually) down here, they were horrible for all other applications. They hydro-plane worse than a boat...have fun burning them off, then check out tirerack.com and find a pair more suited for your applications.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:53 AM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Hey, acidskie, sounds like you had fun. Yeah, it's good to test the car and see how it reacts under different conditions. Makes you more prepared if stuff catches you off guard. What state are you in? I don't usually have to worry about that kind of snow here in GA.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:54 PM   #5
acidskie
Registered Member

I'm in Tn. Upper East TN to be exact. I'm sure a lot of folks have heard of Bristol...... they have something to do with NASCAR I think I'm in the general area.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
SOHCGT96
Registered Member

I drove mine all through last winter, never had any trouble.

On the other hand, I cheated, I have a set of blizzaks on a set of extra wheels that I run in the winter, and 2 60 pound sandbags.
SOHCGT96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:26 AM   #7
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

If you need a great all-season tire for you Mustang in your size, try Continental "ContiExtreme Contact". About $114 from Tire Rack. If it snows a lot where you live, go with Blizzaks.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:40 AM   #8
acidskie
Registered Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I will check both kinds of tires. I have hear a lot of good things about the Continentals. I will look into them. I'm sitting around 21k and still on the goodyears with good tread still. So It might be a little bit, but its good to know ahead of time about thats available.