MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-15-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
acidskie
Registered Member

Default HP v/s MPG

Hey all,
I get around 24 MPG hwy driving very boring. *see low rpm shift*
I have been thinking of trying to get some more horsepower seeing as how I'm around 260-270 hp right now with the K&N Filter and Mac Cat-back exaust. I would like to be sitting around 350 HP, Maybe even 400, but thats neither here nor there...

The question I have is
What is your HP and what is your MPG Driving very nice. This will give me a Idea of where I would like to be when all is said and done. Mine is a daily driver and MPG is very important to me.
acidskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 04:25 PM   #2
96_4.6
Registered Member

First what kind of car do you have and second if its a 99+ GT which is what I take it as cause you said your at 260 but your not thats engine horsepower so subtract I beleive 15% for drivetrain loss and you get rearwheel horse

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:33 AM   #3
acidskie
Registered Member

yeah I figured that wasn't rear HP. Thanks for the info. I didn't say what my car was cause I was asking everyone to list their HP and what they get in MPG. LOL what my car is doesn't really factor in to that question.. but I have a 02 GT.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:21 PM   #4
Snakeman
Registered Member

I don't drive nicely...as you put it.

450 rwhp/380 rwtq

18 mpg highway (avg velocity 90 mph) in my cobra.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:25 PM   #5
acidskie
Registered Member

so your getting more or less 18 mpg @ 450 HP? Thats not too bad I guess. Can anyone else leave some input on this?
Thanks
Old 10-25-2003, 10:39 AM   #6
ac97gt
Registered Member

i dont think that HP and MPG are DIRECTLY related... for example my cousin's 2000 camaro SS is putting out 330 or 340hp and he gets 26mpg highway. i know its a different motor entirely but it sorta proves that they are not quite as related as you think. im willing to bet that if everyone answered this you would find that plenty of people with the exact same hp are getting mpg that vary as much as 6 or 7mpg (even within modular mustangs). theres other factors here besides HP, like gears, probably tire size... im not an expert anyway, these guys could tell you for sure.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 09:25 PM   #7
acidskie
Registered Member

Very true... didn't think about the gearing and tire size issue, was just thinking along the lines of trying to figure out how many mpg I'll drop after i raise the hp some. And you could be very right... i might bump up to 350-400hp and still drive "nice" and get 24 mpg hwy.

By drive nice.. I'm talking shifting @ 2-3 grand, easy acceleration and interstate speeds of 70-80mph.

Edit: for the record.. interstate speed limit is 70mph here and 80 is still only 10 over. Just wanted to make that clear before I caught the "wrath of god" from some....

Last edited by acidskie; 10-26-2003 at 03:56 AM..
Old 10-26-2003, 02:25 AM   #8
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Hp number in sig.

MPG 21-23 in city

MPG 26-29 on the highway

ac97gt brings up some very valid points. HP doesn't evenly equate to MPG.
There are several other factors.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 03:51 AM   #9
acidskie
Registered Member

ok so are we saying that a person can for the most part bump up their horse power, not touch the gearing or the tires/wheels, and still get around the same MPG driving like they normaly did prior to the bump. I just can't see someone with thier foot to the floor getting the same mpg @ say 350hp as when they were stock @ 260hp. Its gotta suck up more gas doesn't it?

But what I'm really tring for here is if I bump hp, and continue to drive in a reasonable manner... does gas mileage suffer and around how much does it suffer. Not really looking for pinpoint data... just for those who are still running stock gears and orig tire size to let me know if they have suffered loss in MPG due to the added HP. I am very thankful for all info though.....