MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-29-2000, 12:24 AM   #1
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Post Modular question from 5.0 guy

I have a 5.0 and am not familiar with the 4.6 What exactly do they mean by modular engine? Pardon my ignorance. Thanks guys.

::Bows down to the massive horsepower of a DOHC engine!!!::

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 12:42 AM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Modular refers to the engine design. Basically the 4.6 SOHC, 4.6 DOHC, 5.4 SOHC (F series trucks), 5.4 DOHC (Cobra R and Navagator), 6.8 (V10) SOHC (Excursion and some F series trucks), and theoretically a V6, a V12, or a Quad 4, are based on the same design.

The 4.6s, 5.4s, and 6.8 all have the same bore. The 5.4s and the 6.8 have a longer stroke. Basically it give Ford the ability to design new engines for very different applications (big *** truck (F250), sports car (Cobra), old lady car(Crown Vic)) without have to start from stratch. Makes them quicker and cheaper to develop, easier to test, gives them better tolerences.

Basically there is a standard front end (modified for the application), some number of cylinders, and a standard back end (modified for the application).

The devil is in the details, but that's the basic idea.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 12:47 AM   #3
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

So, as opposed to the 289, 302, and 351 where there is a different bore and stroke (I think, not sure) And different pistons and different heads, and all that. The modulars have the same say pistons, head design, that sort of thing? Am I grasping it?

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma
Old 07-29-2000, 12:59 AM   #4
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Sort of. The 289 and 302 vary only in stroke. The 351 is similiar, but has a longer stroke and larger bore. But if ford were to make a V10 Windsor, it would take a lot of work. A V12 modular is half way designed from the start.

There are differences in the blocks from car to car to truck to whatever. The Cobras have 6 bolt alum blocks. The GTs have 4 bolt Iron blocks. But Cobra heads will fit on a GT block, if you replace a bunch of other stuff. The Cobras have 4 valves per cylinder. The exhaulst valves are connected to the crank by a chain, and the intake valves are driven by a second chain from the exhaulst sproket to the intake sproket. The GTs just have a chain from the crank to a single sproket. The valve train gear varies accordingly. Cobras also have different rods (stronger), pistons(stronger and higher compression), and crank (Forged steel vs. nodular iron) then the GTs. But they are interchangable in groups.

I'm sure there are many more differences between the mustangs and the trucks, Navigators, ect.

The similiarities are in design. Matrails and details vary from application to application.

[This message has been edited by 97snakedriver (edited 07-29-2000).]
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 01:23 AM   #5
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

So it's more from a design standpoint instead of physically using the same part in different engines? Like if they were to design a new V12 block or something, they would take the design for the V8 on their computer and just add on a few cylinders? Using the same bolt patterns and all that stuff? Kinda getting it? I think I understand.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma
Old 07-29-2000, 02:30 AM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Yeah. That's basically it.

------------
Darn typos:

[This message has been edited by 97snakedriver (edited 07-29-2000).]