MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-05-2001, 10:08 AM   #1
yellsteeda
Registered Member

Question exhaust systems

I just got a 98 GT and was wondering what kind of exhasut system I should get. What is the difference between X and H pipe. Should I go with a Cat back system ot just a X/H pipe, and mufflers? I could use all the info needed ! thanks
yellsteeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 10:36 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Congrats on gettin' a new Stang. First, it depends on what you want your Stang to sound like. A catback alone is only going to net you 1-2 hp if that. It's basically only a sound mod. It's all part of the mods you want to do though when opening up the whole system. In essence an Hpipe will give you more torque and an Xpipe more topend (in essence). So it depends on what your ultimate demands for the car will include. If you are considereing pipes without cats altogether you will need MIL eliminators (message indicator light) so your computer won't have fits. Most people don't fool with headers on the 4.6's as they are a b*tch to install and unless you're planning on gobs of hp from other mods the gains can be had from other boltons.

Others will chime in but I hope this sheds a little light.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 10:42 AM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Most of your exhaust restriction is in the cats\h-pipe. I'd replace the stocker with an aftermarket x\h pipe. (It will depend on your local laws whether you will need to get a kit with cats or not)
MAC makes a good h pipe, and Bassani makes a good x-pipe. They both give comparable gains also....

The catback doesn't do anything for performance, it'll just change the exhaust sound...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 11:30 AM   #4
King Snake
Registered Member

Hammer speaks the truth. I would recommend installing a 2.5" H- or X-pipe with high flow cats. This should give you an extra 8-10 HP and a more aggressive tone. If you are also considering HP mufflers, wait until you install the pipe and see what it is going to sound like. I can tell you from experience that an offroad (no cats) pipe makes the exhaust very loud even with factory mufflers!

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats (Coming Soon!!)
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 01:11 PM   #5
yellsteeda
Registered Member

What about the SVO side exhaust, do you think that is a good system?
Old 04-05-2001, 04:10 PM   #6
Stefan
Registered Member

I believe the SVO kit is the exact same as the Borla kit that I have. My Borla kit even has the SVO molded into the side skirts. I still have my stock Hpipe on so I have no idea yet how aggressive the sound will be until that is swapped out. Right now the sound is mellow and throaty and not loud at all. Check the pics and sound file in my sig. it should give you an idea. This kit doesn't allow the use of subframe connectors so that might be an issue. I also wouldn't consider lowering the car any with this kit as the skirts would rub on curbs and speed bumps. I have had no issues with anything as of yet.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 04-06-2001, 08:44 AM   #7
King Snake
Registered Member

Side-exit exhausts are for looks only; there is no performance gain, and maybe even some loss due to all the funky pipe bends. They do look good though...
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 11:07 PM   #8
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Speaking of exhaust systems, I ordered the side exit kit from Classic Design Concepts through a group purchase. I think I am gonna be very happy with it! Of course, after I get it in, I will buy a H-pipe and probably a cold air intake. Thanks Stefan for getting the sound files!!

------------------
1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter V8, Black
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 03:07 PM   #9
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

98'MustangGT,
Turn about is fair play so I expect some pics and sound files when you get everything installed Can I ask what you paid with your group discount? Was it just a discount on the exhaust? I've been wanting to eventually get a lightbar and hard tonneau cover from them but I want to get some go-fast goodies first.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 04-08-2001, 03:42 PM   #10
yellsteeda
Registered Member

I have decied to get the MAC Cat-Back 3 inch exhasut system, and the bassani X pipe, you guys think this is a good combonation?
Old 04-08-2001, 05:42 PM   #11
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Stefan: I paid $560 in all for the side exit exhaust. I went through DJ off of mustangworld.com's message board. I also need some go fast goodies but I father won't let me get some things to make it go faster cause' quote " if Ford thought it needed different parts such as gears, they would of put them on at the factory! " Ok, dad! Well, anyway, I will post plenty of pics and a sound file when it is done!
Yellsteeda: That sounds like a sexy combination!

------------------
1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter V8, Black
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 06:17 PM   #12
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Good choice in my opinion but is the 3 inch gonna be to big? I always thought that under 400 or so hp the largest you wanted to go was 2 and a half. Without a certain amount of back pressure you're gonna lose some torque - especially when combined with an Xpipe. MAC sounds mean though.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 04-09-2001, 10:25 AM   #13
yellsteeda
Registered Member

Hey i think your right about the 3 inch, 21/2 sounds good, has anyone had to cut there X pipe to fit the headers? And does any one know how th Roush side exit exhasut is set up?