MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2002, 01:27 AM   #1
Slim-Jim
Registered Member

Arrow Looking for 500HP!!!

Hello to everybody! I have a stock 2001 GT with a few mods. I'm looking for a way to reach my goal of 500HP! I will pretty much do anything to get there so any advice would be helpful. Other than supercharging, using nitrous, and strengthening my suspension, what other mods should I invest in?

Thanks!
Slim-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:27 AM   #2
FoxBuilder
Registered Member

Thumbs up

A better posi unit and gear. Might want to think about upgrading your transmission. Ol' yes, a good set of slicks.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0L w/T-5:
BOSS, TFSTW, Vic. Jr., BG, trick stick.
FoxBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 03:33 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

This is lifted from a previous thread...

"I know of a few turboed modular GTs...

A couple things....
Overall, the turbo kits will run a little more in parts cost compared to the blowers with around the same gains...
and if you're not putting it in yourself, the turbos will run more cost in installation...

The stage I TDC kit costs a bit more than my Procharger unit with less power output....

The stage II puts out some good #s but costs much more than comparable blower kits (parts cost)...

One last thing...
the high powered TDC kits may be good for 600 horse, but don't expect to strap a turbo kit on a stock engine (or any other kit for that matter) and expect to see that kind of performance improvement.

The stock engine internals just weren't made to handle it, or the stock fuel system, nor is the stock transmission, or the frame....
You just can't keep dialing up the boost until the desired rwhp number comes up on the dyno...

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against turbo setups, but it seems that the turbo is this year's "thing" and everyone seems to be caught up in the hype.

In my opinion, if you're serious about a reliable 500 rwhp GT, start with the engine...
298 ci stroker kit with forged internals
ported\polished heads and after-market intake (preferably Ford Motorsport)
upgraded fuel system (maybe an aeromotive pump and some big injectors)
upgraded ignition (maybe an MSD unit)
full performance exhaust swap
a forced induction unit with a "sane" amount of boost (blower, turbo, or nitrous)
custom programmed and "tuned" chip

the above combo should net at least 500rwhp with a nice powerband. Remember that the higher you pump up the boost, the harder it becomes to tune the car for reliability....

Run the above like a banshee until the tranny\rear end dies and get yourself a world class T5 and 9 inch rear...

I'm not even going to get into the frame and suspension mods to get that power to the ground...

Just be safe out there and have a good time..."

Hope this helps...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 10:03 PM   #4
Slim-Jim
Registered Member

Thanks! I know I have a lot of drivetrain and suspension issues to take care of before I even get into the engine. I plan to take my time and make sure I do everything right to insure that my stang stays in tip-top shape!
Slim-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 05:00 PM   #5
Snakeman
Registered Member

Default i was reading an article

that was talking about reliable 700 HP numbers being attainable with the 4.6l 4v!

with STOCK internals!
they mentioned that the stock fuel lines were a bottleneck, but the stock fuel rails were retained. intake was ported, heads ported, beefed transmission, 14 lb boost, running 11.0x @ 127 mph!

woo hoo!

with the 2v, there is a great article in MM+FF about using the bullitt intake in conjunction with a blower for a 45 hp increase (if i recall correctly) over the stock 2v intake with the same blower.

not a bad mod!

good luck!
Old 01-11-2002, 09:37 PM   #6
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

I often read about how expensive the TDC kits are and laugh. I had a V2 S-trim @ 12 psi, Spearco Intercooler, Longtubes, Cat-H pipe and other mods and my Turbo system at 12 psi would beat my previous setup by over a second, easily. The kit comes with so many parts that unless you have seen it with your own eyes, you have no idea. Also the HP ratings that TDC is using is more limited by fuel demands and not by the turbo. A 60-1 @ 8 psi would probably beat most blowers you could put on at the same boost levels because you would see full boost about 3000+ rpms sooner. The kit with the T66 would definitely beat most blowers you could put on at the same boost levels. The Stage 2XX with the T-76 is no contest. I have been running the T-76 for 5 months now and the power at 10 psi is awesome. At 15 psi, the Nitto D/Rs spin at 60 mph. Basically, it will cost you as much if not more to make the blower setup as fast. I'm speaking from the experience of having both poweradders on the exact same car which few could say. Also my car was tuned in the street and not on a dyno so the driveability is unreal. My car should be in 4/02 MM&FF and remember that this is a daily driver tuned on pump gas, with an auto, bone stock longblock, & stock rear suspension when you read how fast my car runs.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 01:20 AM   #7
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wow Turbo, I think its great that you're getting the kind of numbers that you are from your setup. I'm sure you'll do our Mustangs proud...

BUT,
I think I need to re-iterate my points here:

I am speaking about near-stock Mustangs here. Many folks don't have the opportunity or money to totally build up their cars, and to be honest, other than the long block using stock internals, your beast is FAR from stock...

I've seen the prices of the TDC units and seen them run on the dyno.
The stage one kit costs more than most supercharger units with less gain on most near stock Mustangs. Many stang enthusiasts who are interested in forced induction cannot do their own work, and the TDC kits, while comprehensive, will take some man-hours (cash) to install.

The stage 2 kit costs even MORE. While I admit that the gains of a unit on a near stock mustang will be a bit more than a supercharger setup, you're definately going to pay for it....

You're right Turbo, throw some money at that setup and it will fly. Its just some of us have to do it a bit at a time...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote