MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-08-2002, 07:19 PM   #1
czstang1701
Registered Member

Default products i should buy for takin care of my mustang???

Anyone want to help me out, making a shopping list for me? I just got the 2002 GT, and i want to make sure I keep this car as clean as i can. I used to use Armor All Interior for the dash and door side covers, etc.. Armor All Original Shine for the tires.. then i would just wash my car with some mild detergent.. My new mustang also has leather, so thats something i need help on.. what products should i buy to take care of the interior, and exterior? what wax/polish? I heard Zymol polish is pretty sweet, but that takes some ordering, etc etc.. Which might be done, but if i could go to the local kragen or pepboys..that would be better

any help would be great!

Brand new! w00 h00! :-D
czstang1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:24 AM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

CZ,

Make sure to clean the interior plastic with a mild cleaner periodicaly to remove the old armor all buildup. You'll notice that dust will start to stick to the dash as you get to many layers of it built up. Some people won't even use armor all, saying it will ruin the plastic eventually. As far as waxes go just use your head. Don't buy a $40 dollar bottle of wax for a car you drive every day. Use a good car wash and the soft cloth wash rags. Use a good quaility wax and you'll be fine. I use Mothers products and they seem to work well, They have, Wash, wax and a great leather cleaner/protector. STAY AWAY FROM THE GIMMICKY CRAP!

good luck
Old 04-09-2002, 08:57 AM   #3
czstang1701
Registered Member

Yah, friends of mine have told me that mothers seems do be one of the better companies for the job.

Old 04-09-2002, 09:08 AM   #4
SLOW 97
Registered Member

One thing I use periodically is the Mother's clay bar. It's kinda expensive ($20) but it works great. You won't believe how smooth the paint looks and feels after using it. The only other downside is that it takes a few hours to do your whole car but if your car is your life like me it's definitley worth it. Just use it before you wax your car and it will help the wax to stick to the paint. As for interior stuff, I use Armor All. Some people say it sucks but it does a good job. The only downside with it is that it attracts dust. But you can get a California Duster and dust the dash when it's dusty. The dusters sound gimmicky but it's the best $12 I've spent on my car. You can make your car look freshly washed in 2 minutes if it's only a little dustly instead of washing it. Make sure you use leather conditioner very early in your car's life to delay cracking a little bit. For rims, exhaust tips, chrome get Eagle One Never Dull (In a silver can) because the can lasts quite long and it will remove any crap from polished surfaces. For tires, the best stuff I've found is Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel. Lasts a couple weeks and looks good and no runs or drips on your tires. As for wax, Zymol is good (Pep Boys does carry it $12) and you shouldn't have to order it (You might be thinking of Zaino which does have to be ordered) if they don't have it, Mother's or Meguiar's is ok.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 11:27 AM   #5
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

A friend of mine, The Sandman, introduced me to Zaino. The crap is awesome, thats all I got to say. Its durable, makes your car super shiny, and easy, I mean easy to apply, and buff (No buffing really neccassary).

Plus the more coats you put on, the deeper the paint looks. Honest, I was so impressed. Its expensive, but well worth it.

Speaking of which...I still owe Tim C 20 dollars...Opps...Hey Tim...You'll get your money soon.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:44 PM   #6
czstang1701
Registered Member

I put on some Meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner.. the spray on stuff is cool i guess, but hard to not get a perfect look, all spotty lookn some places.. end up sprayin every lil area.. didnt enjoy that too much..... looks pretty good tho, didnt expect it to be so shiny lookin..

Last edited by czstang1701; 04-09-2002 at 10:10 PM..
Old 04-10-2002, 09:01 AM   #7
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Don't use spray on stuff. It sucks and it's lazy people. The Zaino is the best stuff out there. The only reason I don't use it is because it has to be ordered direct from Zaino. If you want to get some go to www.zaino.com.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 11:37 AM   #8
czstang1701
Registered Member

Zaino's Leather in a Bottle would be a good idea to buy then? I think this weekend ill order a few products from them.

Old 04-10-2002, 02:24 PM   #9
wally6761
Registered Member

Default armor all

i've had a few cars with leather interior. every couple months i'd coat the seats liberaly in leather conditioner (look at the ingredients, most are pretty much the same) for about 10-15 minutes. it keeps them nice and soft. use a rag to wipe off the excess and get down in the corners to wipe out dirt. make sure to get the dirt buildup out of the corners.

i've never used armor all so i can't reall comment on it. however i've heard from other guys with expensive bikes and cars that armor all will ruin some kinds of leather in one coat. a good coat of leather conditioner works good on all types of leather, so i'd stick with that unless you've got 2500 to drop on replacing leather if it goes bad b/c of armor all.
wally6761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 09:40 PM   #10
DrunkFireman
Registered Member

www.zainobros.com the stuff is amazing from what I hear. AND OMG BRIAN FINALLY ADMITTED ITS THE BEST
Old 04-12-2002, 09:22 AM   #11
wade73
Registered Member

Default eagle one

i have been using eagle one products for about 12 years now and have been really happy with it. never owned a car with leather (too hot here in Mobile, Alabama, not too mention the 90 lb wundermutt that likes to go for rides with me), so i couldnt offer any advice on leather. when it comes down to it, the eagle one, maguiers, and mothers are all about the same. i used zymol once, and thought it was overpriced. whatever you do, resist the idea of using a buffer, even an orbital one, for waxing. there is nothing more satisfying than a hand waxed automobile. but if you have to use one, practice on your wifes car first
wade73 is offline   Reply With Quote