MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-29-2004, 09:28 PM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Question Rev Limiter?

Can someone tell where the rev limiter is set on my car from the factory? What is a safe point to have it raised? And, when racing, where do you shift?

Thanks guys!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Your rev limiter should be at 6250rpm. With the stock internals I wouldn't go much above that.
When I race I shift at redline in 1st and 2nd and at about 5500 from 3-4 (5-speed).
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Thanks! That's actually about how I play it. I was not sure if 5500 was too low and if I was leaving too much speed on the table...so to speak. I used an engine analyzer program a while back, and I think it recomended 5800 rpms, but I am more comfortable with 5500.

I have never hit the rev limiter on this car and I hope to keep it that way.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 04-01-2004, 12:09 AM   #4
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Well I have hit the rev limiter once (missed 2-3 shift, ouch)... and it kicked in before 6250 on my car!... It was at about 6000

Was the rev limiter changed on different year models??

blake... whats that front bumper you got?? I like that a lot!

blue... I just noticed that you are from Sebastopol... same here man! What a small world We'll have to meet up sometime, when mines a little more built of coarse.. haha!
BBK long tubes, BBK h-pipe, MAC mufflers, K&N w/ silencer trimmed, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L plenum, Mobil1 synthetic fluids, FRPP aluminum drive shaft, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, FRPP 4.10's, 18x9 & 18x10 Saleens with Dunlop SP Super Sport Race rubber, Mach1 grill (GT delete), & Mach1 bumper chin!
Click here for pictures & more info!

If you are in Northern California, check out North Bay Mustang Club for local meets and cruises!
JBeryleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:29 AM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Not sure on the rev limiter question, but I don't know if those needles are real accurate. There is a way to get your odometer to display digital rpms. I will find the instructions. There was an old thread a few months ago too. Every once in a while, this question comes up.

I made two changes to the front of my car. One was to delete the stock grill and the other was to add a chin spoiler. There are lots of places that sell these. The grill deletes run $45 - $90 and the chin spoilers are $60 - $90 from I can remember. www.mustangtuning.com is where I got mine...they had the best prices that I could find and include shipping. This is essentially what the front-end of a Mach 1 looks like minus the shaker-hood of course.

I keep my stock parts in case I need to sell the car and make it original. I have a friend with an '03 Vette. Believe it or not, the rear window (which was classic only to '03) was considered ugly by many back then. Many guys put in the '04 windows in their '03's and the cars have lost much value now unless you find an original '03 window. My stang will probably NEVER be that vintage, but I always remember that example and therefore keep my stock parts.

My Stang:
Old 04-01-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Cool thanks!

I'm gonna check that site out
BBK long tubes, BBK h-pipe, MAC mufflers, K&N w/ silencer trimmed, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L plenum, Mobil1 synthetic fluids, FRPP aluminum drive shaft, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, FRPP 4.10's, 18x9 & 18x10 Saleens with Dunlop SP Super Sport Race rubber, Mach1 grill (GT delete), & Mach1 bumper chin!

If you are in Northern California, check out North Bay Mustang Club for local meets and cruises!
Old 04-01-2004, 03:17 PM   #7
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

JBeryleC - We're having a meet on April 24th for the North Bay Mustang Club at Mt. Tamalpais. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you the info. It's usually a good time. We barbecue and do a cruise.
As for the rev limiter I believe someone told me that they reduced the rev limit to 6000 on '02+, but I'm not positive.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
JBeryleC
Registered Member

blue.. yes please.. will you email me the details?
Thanks man

I still can't believe we're in the same small town.. ha!

Old 04-01-2004, 07:04 PM   #9
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Yeah, small world. There is also a guy named Rob that I've seen on the message boards with a gold 2000GT with 524rwhp that lived in Sebastopol (I think he may have moved recently).