MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
boister
Registered Member

Unhappy help, whining sound on new 99 stang

I just bought my 99 mustang gt yesterday. Its an mtx, and drives and sounds perfect with only 45K on it. I have one problem with it though, when im driving it and its reving at about 2-3000rpm I hear a whining soung coming either from the motor or tranny. When I look under the hood and i rev it up I cant really hear the sound but when Im in the car I can hear it. The guy at the dealership told me all 5-speed 4.6liter mustangs sound like that. My friend has a ATX stang same year and his dosent make it. I think the guy at the dealer is lying to me. What could this problem be or is it true all 4.6 MTX mustangs whine like that. It almost sounds like a bad ground whine coming through the speakers except thats not the problem..........
boister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:56 PM   #2
beerman1378
Registered Member

If you have an aftermarket shifter such as Steeda or Pro 5.0 it doesnt come with anti-vibration bushings and so forth. So that might be a little bit of "gear whine" that you're experiencing. That is the only thing that comes to mind.
beerman1378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I second beerman, mostly because his handle has the word "beer" in it. But seriously, as I was reading your thread, that's the first thing I thought off too. If we could hear it ourselves, we could tell you for sure if that was it.

Can you check to see if the shifter was replaced? We can tell you how to do this if needed.

Are you sure it is comming from the transmission? And not a bearing under the hood? If it is the tranny, it could be after market gears. Do you know if the car had the gears replaced? Some make noise. Tell us what rpms the car is going in 5th gear at 70 mph and we can tell you. But this assumes that the speedo was corrected. Some guys don't bother with this.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
boister
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
I second beerman, mostly because his handle has the word "beer" in it. But seriously, as I was reading your thread, that's the first thing I thought off too. If we could hear it ourselves, we could tell you for sure if that was it.

Can you check to see if the shifter was replaced? We can tell you how to do this if needed.

Are you sure it is comming from the transmission? And not a bearing under the hood? If it is the tranny, it could be after market gears. Do you know if the car had the gears replaced? Some make noise. Tell us what rpms the car is going in 5th gear at 70 mph and we can tell you. But this assumes that the speedo was corrected. Some guys don't bother with this.
I dont believe anything has been replaced and I'm not sure its coming from the transmision. When the car is in nutrual and i rev it to about 2-3000rpm it makes the whining noise any higher and it goes away. Dosent really sound like a gear whine. What if it was a bearing under the hood? How would that sound and react? The car drives perfect. I believe at 5th gear at 70mph its taching around 2000rpm
Old 03-21-2004, 08:17 PM   #5
beerman1378
Registered Member

In my car..an 03 GT...I hear a whistling noise, similar to a supercharger but on a quieter level, through the rpm range. Its not annoying, it actaully sounds kinda good! Its to the point where I can barely hear it. If anyone could tell me what this is I'd appreciate it!
beerman1378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:31 PM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Beer:

If you had a vert and a blonde sitting next to you, I would say it's the wind blowing through her ears (lol).

If it's a bearing, it will be a high pitch whine that will get higher as the rpm rev and then will go away as the pitch gets too high to hear. If it is a noisy bearing, it will eventually crap out. Most likely the alternator bearing if any.

Here is what you can do. Get a long, flat-head screw driver. With the motor running, place the flat head end on any of the bearings in question one at a time. Put your ear directly on the handle of the screw driver and listen. This will help isolate the sound to each bearing and amplify it. Then, have someone rev the motor. You will know it when you hear it.

Also, does it make the sound ONLY when your foot is off the clutch? Try pressing the clutch in and out. Does this make the noise stop? If so, then it is most likely your throw-out (TO) bearing. Most people describe a noisy throw-out bearing as sounding like a cricket.

If it is the TO bearing, then you are fine. Part costs pennies but $500 to replace. I would say let it go until you need a new clutch. However, you might be able to get it replaced by the dealer who sold the car to you if you get on it right away.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
boister
Registered Member

Default the answer!

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
Beer:

If you had a vert and a blonde sitting next to you, I would say it's the wind blowing through her ears (lol).

If it's a bearing, it will be a high pitch whine that will get higher as the rpm rev and then will go away as the pitch gets too high to hear. If it is a noisy bearing, it will eventually crap out. Most likely the alternator bearing if any.

Here is what you can do. Get a long, flat-head screw driver. With the motor running, place the flat head end on any of the bearings in question one at a time. Put your ear directly on the handle of the screw driver and listen. This will help isolate the sound to each bearing and amplify it. Then, have someone rev the motor. You will know it when you hear it.

Also, does it make the sound ONLY when your foot is off the clutch? Try pressing the clutch in and out. Does this make the noise stop? If so, then it is most likely your throw-out (TO) bearing. Most people describe a noisy throw-out bearing as sounding like a cricket.

If it is the TO bearing, then you are fine. Part costs pennies but $500 to replace. I would say let it go until you need a new clutch. However, you might be able to get it replaced by the dealer who sold the car to you if you get on it right away.
I took the car to the shop and its something to do with the heater core. Thats why I hear the noise coming through the vents. It does sound like a supercharger at 2000rpm. They are going to replace the hoses and the heater core for me. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks for all of your help!