MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-03-2001, 05:59 PM   #1
32V SVT
Registered Member

Question DOHC, Tune UPs??? - First Posting...

Hey,
I'm used to doing all of my own work since I used to own an 89 LX 5.0... Now I have a 99 SVT, and think the plugs need replacing... Does any one have any suggestions for tackeling this, and a Fuel Filter change?

The reason, is I feel a surgeing when rolling on the throttle, and think maybe bad gas fouled a plug, or suspect a blocked fuel filter... A friend working at a dealership made these suggestions to back up what I already suspected...
32V SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 07:58 AM   #2
98SNAKE
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Sounds like a good place to start. The fuel filter is in the same spot as in your older mustang, just make sure you buy double platinum plugs. When I changed mine thats what the 32v called for.

Later Will

------------------
98Cobra
off road x-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73 rear end(4.30's soon),Mac Cold Air,Ripper Shifter, Nitto Drag Radials
98SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 07:20 PM   #3
King Snake
Registered Member

I changed my plugs not too long ago, and I used NGK copper plugs. I have not had any problems, but I wonder if it would run better with the double-platinums. When I was changing them, I noticed that the plugs on one side of the engine were different from the ones on the other side. Does anyone know why??? Also, what types of plugs are you other Cobra owners running? BTW, if you buy the Motorcraft platinums, expect to pay around $80 for a set.

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 09:36 PM   #4
98SNAKE
Registered Member

I used Autolite double platinum and paid about $40.00 dollars for them.

------------------
98Cobra
off road x-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73 rear end(4.30's soon),Mac Cold Air,Ripper Shifter, Nitto Drag Radials
98SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 11:37 AM   #5
32V SVT
Registered Member

Talking

Okay, well I managed to change out the plugs pretty easily... There was a trick involved in getting the spark plug socket out, after tightening the new plugs, but all in all it went well... I used Motorcraft double platinums as suggested through a LaserCat parts system(P/N: AWSF32EE) but didn't have the space to get at the Fuel filter... (I have a slanted Driveway... Not good for using jack stands...) I did notice an improvement in performance, but I still feel a hesitation at half throttle... I don't think it's drivetrain runout, or back lash... Anyway, the fuel filter's next on the list, and I'll see what happens as far as performance goes... BTW: The Motorcraft plugs cost $5.30 ea. plus tax, and should last over 60k miles...
32V SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 07:54 AM   #6
King Snake
Registered Member

I always tape my spark plug socket to the extension with electrical tape. This prevents your socket from falling off any staying in the head! Works like a charm.

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote