MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-03-2001, 04:25 AM   #1
300hp99GT
Registered Member

Post turbo or supercharger

if everything works out i should have plenty of money to spend on some mods in a month or so. im going to take everything off the car i have now because its a lease and trade it for a yellow 99 GT. im going to pay cash for it. anyway.. im debating on if i want to spend @ 7k on the TDC stage 2 turbo kit or @ 4,500 on a procharger. im figuring labor and dyno tuning in with those figures. they claim at 5 psi with the turbo kit it makes 450rwhp and they ran a 12.04 with it set at 4.5 psi with slicks in a 2000 GT with an automatic. it has an in-car boost controller and can be turned up to 40psi. they said the stock block can handle 10 - 12psi. but i also want to get a PA C-4 put in it and a built bottom end in the motor. preferably a SHM 300ci stroker kit. what do you guys think ? is it worth that much extra for the turbo ?
300hp99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 12:18 PM   #2
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Well I'm intrigued by the turbo's potential and output.

I'd consider the turbo option but there have been a lot of talk about the TDC kit not being delivered complete and delayed. Aside from that .... I'd really consider the TDC kit becasue I like the boost characteristics better than a centri S/C.

Sounds like you're building a serious racer. I think, based on what you've stated thus far the turbo is really the way to go. The tune is the key. Turbo99GT should be able to shed some light since he's the only guy I know that has the TDC kit installed.

------------------
K!
Personalized Black 98 SVO Blown DVD/TV equipped daily driver Stage II ROUSH
without the side exhaust

Dyno 303rwhp 338rwtrq
Still working out the kinks!!!

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 05:48 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Couple questions\comments on this...

If you've got that much cash to put down on making this thing go. The best thing is to get your engine and frame ready to handle the amount of horsepower you plan on putting in it...
Especially if the turbo numbers are correct... 450 rwhp is well over 500 hp at the crank. To be honest, the stock bottom end and transmission just weren't designed to take that much power...
(My synchs and tranny are already having issues at 450 hp...)

Get yourself a stroker kit from SHM and get the internals ready for the amount of abuse you're about to throw on them. Port and polish the heads and get yourself a bullit intake. The more you put into your engine now, the more you'll get out of it when its under boost. (and it just might last longer)

A good set of weld-in subframes will be a must also...

You may have to wait for the forced induction this way, but at least you know that she'll be ready for it when the cash comes along...

If you're really serious about high horsepower applications (over 500 hp at the crank), it will take more than just a good tune... It will take thought, patience, and cash...

By the way, will this be your daily driver\only car?
While the thought of driving a street monster to work every day may be cool now, heat, traffic, and mileage has been the undoing of many an unprepared gearhead...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
381.8 rwhp 377.6 rwtq

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 08:22 PM   #4
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Hammer brings up some very good points. I wish I had built the motor before we added all of these upgrades. We feel we can get more power out of the stock 4.6 then most because detonation will not be a problem with an Aeromotive fuel system and tuned DFI. Eventually, I will put in a built motor to really see what this turbo can do. With a very safe tune on a crappy day at Atco, we made 388 rwhp & 427 rwtq with just under 6 psi through my auto and 3,000 stall converter so you can see the potential. I can't wait until the end of this week because it should be done. We ran into a problem with the MSD because we need an EDIS-8 module & 12 pin connector, but that is another story. Definately go the turbo route because the car drives like stock not in boost due to no parasitic loss and hits like NOS when full boost arrives.

------------------
99 Silver GT Auto
TDC Stage II Turbo
Dyno at Atco 8/19/01
388 rwhp
427 rwtq

Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 11:30 PM   #5
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Its an interesting question. Turbos are by nature more effecient since they run off power that would otherwise be lost vs superchargers which are driven directly off engine power.

From a practical view view though the limiting factor on how much power you make from a 4.6 isn't really an efficiency issue. The limiting factor is the stregnth of the engine internals and drive train.

With say a $7,000 budget I would go with a supercharger. With the saved costs of easier tuning, installation, and parts that leaves quite a bit left over for replacing engine and drive train parts. The turbo will eat up most of the budget leaving the limiting factor as the internals and drive train.

With an unlimited or much greater budget I would go with the turbo. In the long run if breaking stuff isn't a concern the turbo will be more efficient and more powerful the supercharger, not to mention much cooler.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 11:10 PM   #6
300hp99GT
Registered Member

actually my plan is to leave the turbo at 5 psi and never put slicks on it. its going to be a daily driver. like turbo99GT said, with the turbo it drives just like stock if you dont get into the boost
300hp99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 11:47 PM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

True... But if you aren't going to use it then what's the point?
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote