MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2000, 12:13 PM   #1
Smirsh
Registered Member

Post COLD AIR INDUCTION KITS

Do they work?
Smirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2000, 12:23 PM   #2
spinemup
Registered Member

mostly for looks, you'd be better of with a good off-road h-pipe
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2000, 12:38 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

They're good for about 1-2 hp on the upper end when using a K&N.

They also tend to help out when you live in areas like I do.... It's been over 100 degrees every day for over 2 weeks now...

Other than that, they're mostly cosmetic, but if you can find a good deal on one, snatch it up....

------------------
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"

Pilot Proverb:
If all you can see out of the window is ground that's going round and round and all you can hear is commotion coming from the passenger compartment, things are not at all as they should be.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2000, 03:38 PM   #4
cravnpup
Registered Member

They work well only if they are complimented with a larger throttle body and mass air sensor. Basically you want to buy it all at once as a package.
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2000, 03:51 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Good point cravnpup...

------------------
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103

Pilot Proverb:
If all you can see out of the window is ground that's going round and round and all you can hear is commotion coming from the passenger compartment, things are not at all as they should be.
Old 08-14-2000, 07:28 PM   #6
blown97GT
Registered Member

Actually i had a WMS velocity tube w/ Pro87MAF from wmsracing.com and i noticed a huge difference w/o a throttle body. I believe this is the best set up at least from what I've read. Check it out it costs around 420 and it makes 15-25h.p!!

------------------
12lb. vortech,svo heads and headers,Pro80M,70MMTB,steeda aluminum radiator,30lb. injectors,MSD,cobra front fascia,hood,wheels,eibach,3.73 gears w/ steeda triax,offroad h pipe w/ flows,forged pistons,dyno tuned at 395rwhp.
blown97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2000, 08:51 PM   #7
cravnpup
Registered Member

Thumbs up

blown97GT, I checked out WMS... It looks good, thanks for the tip. One question though, did you experience any engine problems after the install. I've heard that some MAF's cause engine problems especially if they're "calibrated" for larger injectors. There's an article about it in the Tech section under electronics. Also, one more thing. Was it recommended that a throttle body not be installed, or was it just unnecessary? I just want to know if I can expect more gains with a larger T/B combined with the MAF package... Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Current Mods: K&N
Future Mods: Too Many to list
Old 08-15-2000, 09:49 AM   #8
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hey Cravnpup,
The following is a result of my personal experience, added with comments from those I trust...

I don't know about the velocity tube, but with my K&N, Rousch Cold air kit, and Pro-M 87mm MAF (which is calibrated for the stock injectors), I did get a small boost by "seat o' the pants" feel at high RPMs without a larger throttle body. Most folks I talk to say that the throttle body just isn't worth the cash unless you add an after-market intake (such as the Ford Motorsport unit) with it.
I plan on purchasing one when I have the cash for my motorsport intake\heads combo.

------------------
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103

Pilot Proverb:
Old 08-15-2000, 09:54 AM   #9
cravnpup
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the insight Hammer, doesn't the Motorsport Intake come with it's own dual throttle body???

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Old 08-15-2000, 01:37 PM   #10
blown97GT
Registered Member

I had no problems w/ the velocity tube. I understood a throttle body won't make a noticeable difference w/o an intake or s/c. I did notice a huge gain w/ it though I also had bassini offroad x pipe and underdrive pullies on a 96GT 5spd. everything else being stock i ran a 14.5 w/ these mods.

------------------
12lb. vortech,svo heads and headers,Pro80M,70MMTB,steeda aluminum radiator,30lb. injectors,MSD,cobra front fascia,hood,wheels,eibach,3.73 gears w/ steeda triax,offroad h pipe w/ flows,forged pistons,dyno tuned at 395rwhp.
blown97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2000, 03:17 PM   #11
87GTman

I installed one on our 99 Cobra. It seemed to pull a lil harder around 5000-6800 rpm's it has a cool sound atleast, haha Mac Cold Air Kit is what we used. I think Pulleys is next for this car. it feels fast but my 87 smokes it at the strip..

------------------
87 Gt mods are, HD clutch kit, T5 steel bearing retainer, 190 fuel pump, k&N panel, adj. cable and clutch quad., 3.73 gears rebuilt posi, 2.5 inch off road H pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters,BBK unequal length headers, ASP underdrives Crane 1.7 Roller Rockers
13.80 @ 102 mph street tires, 8.80 @79mph street tires 91 Mass air conversion B303, upgraded valve springs
(maybe the JUICE is next?.)
Old 08-21-2000, 07:02 AM   #12
cobrayankee
Registered Member

Cravnpup, hope I'm not steering you wrong here but I'm sure someone will catch me if I do. As far as I know, the dual bore throttle body you're asking about is only available for the 32V 4.6L engines. They make 62mm ones for the Cobras but not GT's. I'd say for your application, the single 77mm is what you want. Good luck!

------------------
1997 Cobra, C+L 80mm MAF, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, 3.73's
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2000, 09:13 AM   #13
cravnpup
Registered Member

Cobrayankee, I was talking about the FMS aftermarket intake kit that's available for 96-98 mustangs. It comes with it's own Dual bore Throttle body. I am currently considering a WMS velocity tube with 87mm MAF sensor, and an SVO 70mm TB. Thanks for the input though...

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Old 08-21-2000, 11:56 AM   #14
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I think your right cravnpup,

I just can't be sure 'cause we're moving and the wife has all of my car publications packed.... So right now I can't look up anything...

I'm going to have to slow down on the modding for a while as we just bought the house and I have to get the 83's 4 speed fixed. But eventually I want to go to the SVO heads and intake.
(Hopefully the prices will go down while I'm waiting...)

------------------
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103

Pilot Proverb:
Old 08-25-2000, 02:02 PM   #15
George98GT
Registered Member

Cravnpup is right, I have that same intake on my car with a BBK 62mm TB, If you get the SVO 70mm you'll need to bore out the intake to make use of the extra size.
George98GT is offline   Reply With Quote