MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-14-2000, 01:09 PM   #1
v8powered
Registered Member

Question suspension packages

I am looking to upgrade my stock 99 GT suspension and was wondering if I should get the stage 1 Steeda package or the stage 1 Saleen package. Is there any advantage to either or is there a better system on the market??
v8powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 01:11 PM   #2
cravnpup
Registered Member

If I had to choose between either, I'd go with the Steeda. But, if I was just choosinng the best suspension system, I'd go with Griggs...

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Current Mods: K&N, Mobile 1, MagnaPack Cat-Back, Steeda Tri-Ax
ET: 14.32@100.0
Upcoming Mods: BBK Longtubes, BBK H-pipe w/cats, and much much more
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 01:24 PM   #3
v8powered
Registered Member

Any particular reasons for that choice?? I was wondering what sets them apart from eachother.
Old 09-14-2000, 01:48 PM   #4
cravnpup
Registered Member

The only reason is that it seems like Saleen is usually overpriced. To be honest, I haven't even looked at the Saleen pieces so I can't really make a good judgement. All I know is that Steeda uses high quality pieces, and the pricing is usually fair...
I'm still not sure if I'm looking for an all out performance suspension (Griggs), or an upgraded stock setup (Steeda/Saleen)...

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Old 09-14-2000, 04:07 PM   #5
v8powered
Registered Member

Talking

I am looking for an upgrade, Griggs coil overs would be great but I don't have that kind of money. Thanks for the suggestion, I am worried about witht he Steeda kit is the Tokio shocks. If you would, look at saleen.com and tell me what you think.
Old 09-14-2000, 05:28 PM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I have the full Steeda setup, and I have had very good luck with it. The Tokicos are fine.

If you want to get hard core into auto-x or Solo events then I would probably go with the grigs or the maximum motorsports.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2000, 12:13 PM   #7
cravnpup
Registered Member

I just checked out the Saleen web page. As I was saying before the pieces look pretty good, but they are really overpriced.. The Tokico shocks are one of the best, no need to be worried about those. Remember, most of the things Steeda sells are made by other manufacturers. For example, the springs are eibachs, the shocks Tokico. So you really can't go wrong there. I myself am trying to decide how much suspension tuning I want to do. If I decide to go all out, I'm going with Griggs, but if I just want better performance and handling without spending my savings, I'm going with Steeda. The latter being the most likely choice. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do...

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Old 09-16-2000, 01:35 PM   #8
TucStang
Registered Member

Hey guys, I was considering a Steeda stage 1 also. Would it be cheaper to buy the individual parts from another place? What kind of money are we looking at for installing the stage 1? thanks for the help

------------------
TucStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2000, 07:29 PM   #9
v8powered
Registered Member

Cool

I can get the Saleen package for 1000 plus install from one place or I can get it for 850 from a buddy's shop in Florida but would have to pay shipping. Would that be a good deal?? You just get so much more it seems with the Saleen package but would have to spend 1200-1300 in Steeda parts to get the stuff I feel I need. It is so tough but don't want to feel I made a mistake after buying it.
Old 09-17-2000, 08:01 PM   #10
cravnpup
Registered Member

I'd say if you can get the saleen package for $850, then do it... It seems the systems are pretty equal in terms of quality and performance... I was just basing my opinion on cost, and it seems like you can solve that problem...

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Old 09-17-2000, 11:34 PM   #11
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I love Saleen cars, but I'm not a big fan of their after-market parts and suport. I would be very leary of the Saleen after-market. I have a Saleen part sitting in my closet, but since it isn't what they told me it was, and I can't get a human on the phone, there it sits. (rear shock tower brace)

Steeda is, no doubt about it, expensive. But from experience, service is first rate. I've called Steeda about non-Steeda parts (I'm a regular ), and they have helped me out. Steeda does not make their own springs, that I know. The shocks are obviously Tokico (very, very good), cravnpup said the springs are Eibach (oh darn!). I don't know for sure, but they aren't made by Steeda, but they sure do work well with their suspension kit.

If you go with Steeda, you get:

1. Its good stuff
2. It all works extremely well together (which is the hard part)
3. Great support.

You may go cheaper finding the same parts from suppliers, springs from Eibach, shocks from Tokico, ect. But the Steeda set-up is still very nice.

Decide your budget. Decide what you want to do. (for me) Unlimited budget: Maximum Motorsports or Griggs. Works darn good, good suport, some what cheaper: Steeda. The Steeda 5 link should be out shortly also.

------------------
1997 Cobra
Suspension: Steeda G Trac. Tokico Illumina shocks and struts (5 front, 3 rear), Sport Springs, upper and lower control arms, cc plates, rear adjustable sway bar, front sway bar, subframe connectors, bushings, Cobra R wheels, Brembo 4 piston brakes

Exhaust: FRPP ceramic headers, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, Dynomax Ultra Flow cat-back

Bolt-ons: 4.10s, Steeda Tri-Ax, Pro-M 80mm, K&N, Steeda Underdrive pulleys, Steeda timing adjuster (14 degrees)
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote