MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2000, 12:40 AM   #1
St_Brawler
Registered Member

Post No oil at oil change..... ????? Help..

My buddy's girlfriend brough over a '96 4.6L and said it needs an oil change or something. She said that the oil presure gage on the dash drops every-once-in-a-while. She said she's put about 6,700 miles on her boyfriends car since he left, and never changed the oil. I did the oil change for her, but when I unscrewed the drain plug, barelly any oil came out, maybe a quart and a half at the most, and it didn't even come out with pressure.. She's been hamering the car all the time.... Did she hurt anythng in the process???? will his car be ok ??? Thanks for any help....
St_Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2000, 05:42 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Well, someone will definately want to monitor the oil pressure, oil level, and engine behavior daily for a while. Listen for any out of the ordinary sounds at idle and WOT.

I've seen folks go 6000 miles without changing oil before. It certainly doesn't help with wear and tear, but doesn't necessarily mean you'll have damage. It's the amount of oil that came out at the change that concerns me.

Hope this helps...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2000, 12:04 AM   #3
fixer
Registered Member

yes the 4.6 has a huge oil pan. i'm thinking that the last time someone did an oil change thay only put a few quarts in it. that kind of oil consumption would warrant serious smoking.

does that car get taken to a bargain lube shop? the type of place that usually mixes up 4.6 and 5.0?s and to that extent only change the first drain plug in a 5.0?
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2000, 01:02 AM   #4
St_Brawler
Registered Member

Thanks guy, actually i do his oil change, but he left on a job meeting, and his girlfriend never though it needed a change... I was surprized at the amount of oil that came out, knowing i had done the last change in his car..... It seemed that the drain plug was a little losses, but I don't think it leaked out 4 quarts of oil... Thanks fr any future input...
Old 06-25-2000, 01:12 AM   #5
fixer
Registered Member

hey i didn't mean to insult you but i'm an auto tech at an independent shop and i've seen what i described before, twice. seriously i was offering a suggestion, not a dig.
you said that the drain plug was loose?
if it was loose enough to drip, then 6,700 miles is plenty of time to loose 4 quarts.was it "finger tight?". by the way if you're in the valley we should hang sometime.
Old 06-25-2000, 01:19 AM   #6
St_Brawler
Registered Member

Hey, I'm sorry if i came out like that, i didn't think it was a dig. It all good. Well normalyl I put a wrench on it and it takes some pressure to have it come loose, it didn't take that much strench this time, and the oil pan was all oilly and dirty. Finger tight??? Maybe...... not sure... I just dont' wanna hear him ***** when he gets back... Any help is GOOD HELP
Old 06-25-2000, 12:20 PM   #7
fixer
Registered Member

well nothing can be done to reverse what has happened so, i'd say change the oil and drive the car to see if there is any damage.
but if the bottom of the pan was oily, man i'd guarantee you that it leaked out over that many miles. see if it smokes on start-up to be sure though. take it throught the rpms and watch the oil pressure like a hawk at all times.
Old 06-26-2000, 03:52 PM   #8
spinemup
Registered Member

hacksaw the old oil filter in half and look for shards of metal. if the element looks clean then there should be no serious damage.
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote