MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-12-2000, 09:20 PM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool Struts 'n stuff

What struts and shocks have you guys had luck with? The driver's side strut on my 96 GT is about at the end of its life and when it goes I figured I'd do the whole deal. Is there anything else I should replace along with the struts and shocks? I'm not looking for any radical suspension mods yet but would like something stronger than stock. The car does not see the track at all and probably never will. All the miles put on are around town, highways, and interstates. Thanks in advance for any input (hope I didn't leave any info out).

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Splitfire plugs (they were free - don't laugh).
K&N, removed air silencer (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 09:31 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I have Tokicos and love them, and of course you can't go wrong with Koni.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2000, 10:16 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Cool

While you're under there, why not add some Eibach sport springs?
Get some better handling and a meaner stance!

------------------
1998 Mustang GT
14.18@100.56
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2000, 05:23 PM   #4
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Thanks for the info guys.
Hammer, I have thought about Eibachs but I made a heck of a deal on a Borla side exhaust kit and will be getting it shortly. I didn't know if there would be any clearance issues with side exhaust and lowering springs. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks for the help

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Old 06-15-2000, 08:31 AM   #5
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Stefan,
Not to cut in but...
I have the Tokicos (5way adjustables) and the Eibach springs. I really like my set-up. Not radical and lowered the ride height a little ~1".
Hope that helps.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2000, 04:31 PM   #6
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input SMOKE. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I left for a much needed vacation and didn't get a chance to hop on the computer. I think you guys are right about the lowering springs as long as I am doing the shocks and struts. Is there a good vendor out there that has them at a reasoable price? The Tokicos sound good but I don't know if my driving style is gonna call for anything adjustable (mabye it will, I don't know). Does anybody have anything against the KYB's? Regardless, as usual thanks for the help.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe

96 GT Convertible
Old 06-26-2000, 08:29 PM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Tokico also makes a basically-the-same-thing-as-the-5-way-adjustable-Illuminas-but-not-adjustable-and-set-to-a-"firm sport setting"-and-somewhat-cheaper. Apparently Tokico has some rather verbous marketing people, so they are called "Tokico Hi-Performance Struts and Shocks."

If the 5 way adjustable ones are too much, then maybe the afore mentioned setup may be better for both you and your bank account. They're about $250 less for the set.

97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2000, 09:38 AM   #8
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I think I saw those at Carparts.com (the non-adjustable ones). Carparts is running a special right now to get 1/3 off your order (max discount $100). That puts the set at around $240. Unless someone knows where they can be purchased cheaper I think this sounds like a good deal. Are there any bushings that need to be replaced along with everything else? When I originally dropped my car off at the garage I thought the power steering was going bad as it would squeek real bad when you cranked the wheel to the left. They told me then that the driver's side strut was starting to fail and not to worry about it just yet. It has since been on a trek from Kansas to Gatlinburg TN with no problems aside from the squeek. I figured (from my orignal post up top) that I would just replace both struts and both shocks all at once but I don't want to forget any of the details ( bushings and what not). Sorry for the length but you guys are helping me figure this stuff out so thank you.

Thanks again - more opinions are welcome.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe

96 GT Convertible