MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-10-2000, 05:48 PM   #1
Stac
Registered Member

Question Question..Minor mods that wont void warrenty on a 2000GT

I am getting a K&M Filter but I'm curious if any of you know of minor mods to perform on my 2000GT (automatic) that will not void the warrenty..I know all should and will be cleared by dealer prior to even ordering parts but im wondering if anyone out there has bought a 2000 or 99 and done some light weight mods that did not void their warranty.
Stac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2000, 09:21 PM   #2
Capri306

Moved to Modular Madness...

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1985 Mustang LX: a Kick-A white 4-banger
My website I can't even edit!
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2000, 01:01 AM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

It depends on your dealer...

I've seen some that go as far as blowers are just fine, and some that "it must be those pulleys that caused those leaky headlights."

The rule is, which may require some arguing, but its the law that, unless the dealer can demostrate that the aftermarket parts directly caused the problem, the presence of aftermarket parts do not void any warentee.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 12:06 PM   #4
98YellowGT
Registered Member

Right, No aftermarket mod should void your warranty, unless it can be traced to the problem.
That doesn't mean dealers will follow that, some places just plain refuse to work on s/c'ed cars under warranty. It all depends on the dealer.
NO aftermarket part SHOULD void your warranty, but some dealers will put up more of a fight than others.

------------------
1998 Yellow GT
Appearance Package
Black Hood/Fender stripe
17" Wheels
FMS 3.73's
Steeda Aluminum Pedal Covers
98YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 12:25 PM   #5
Red Rocket
Registered Member

I agree with the guys above. I always believed that as long as you don't 'open' the engine block, your fine. If you don't open the engine, you can get your way out of anything, pending on the knowledge of the dealer. (My car has been mistaken for a Cobra R, because it is a Cobra and only has Cobra R rims, but no hood, and not the same spolier, and the fact it's red and not white.) Sometimes, I embarrased I know a lot more about these cars than they do.

I bought my current ride with 26,000 miles and immediatlely had about $2,000 of aftermarket work done to the car. Took the car into the dealer a week later and got the cruise control and seat belts fixed, and the tie rod's and steering column replaced, all under warranty. At 35,000 miles, I got the tranmission replaced under warranty, and had already had the car running high twelves. I even got the trans replace a second time under the trans warranty. (I think T-45's suck.) My Pro-M, pulley's, and throttle body, all aftermarket, were clearly visible. Not to mention the sound of the car.

However, I did not replace the x-pipe until after the warranty voided. It is illegal in most states to replace efficient and fully functional catalytic converters, even if you reduce the number from four to two. Something to keep in mind.

------------------
1996 Laser Red Cobra. 12.64@108.1 mph; 1.92 60 ft. I keep racin' it, and it keeps getting faster!(It's still a heavy beast)
Red Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2000, 12:42 PM   #6
Stac
Registered Member

Cool

Great info thanks all!
Stac is offline   Reply With Quote