MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-11-2000, 03:10 PM   #1
TonyS
Registered Member

Post Could this be a busted Water Pump Seal?

I have a 96 GT, 5spd. I punched it in 1st gear, (had the A/C on) and when the rpm's jumped up to about 4,500-5,000, I switched to 2nd gear. (The car should be able to take that, not constantly, but once in a while I like to push the car a little. Who doesn't? That's why I bought a Stang in the first place.) The next thing I knew, the coolant light came on, steam poured from the engine compartment, and I had a river of antifreeze behind my car and it sprayed all over my engine compartment. I put water in the resevoir, then started it up to see if I could locate the leak. It sounded fine, so I moved it about 20 feet to a safer spot. I didn't hear anything abnormal, and the car ran normal for that short distance. Then I turned the A/C back on to test it, and that's when it started steaming and spurting. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

------------------
American Made Pride! 96GT, Ported 80mm MAF sensor, KB Super-sub frames, Hooker Aerochamber mufflers, Off-Road H-Pipe, TORCO Racing Oil, K&N Air filter, B&M Ripper shifter, Borg Warner HD Clutch, Air Silencer removed.

[This message has been edited by TonyS (edited 07-11-2000).]
TonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 07:48 PM   #2
fixer
Registered Member

ahhhh yes the infamous plastic intake failure!!!!!!
you're in luck bud cause Ford has an unlimited milage/age recall to replace it free of charge with a new one that is supposedly better. to be sure though, look behind the alternator to see if it comes out there. it will only happen when the cooling system pressure builds up.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 06:50 AM   #3
TonyS
Registered Member

Cool

Yep it sure was. The dealership called me yesterday and said just that! What a relief! Thanks for the reply.

------------------
American Made Pride! Laser-tinted red 96GT, Ported 80mm MAF sensor, KB Super-sub frames, Hooker Aerochamber mufflers, TORCO Racing Oils, K&N Air filter, B&M Ripper shifter, Borg Warner HD Clutch.
Old 07-17-2000, 10:48 AM   #4
T-Bone
Registered Member

just curious. how many miles are on your car? Mine went at 47k. I heard the average was 40-45k. I have a 99 intake sitting in my garage, waiting for the rest of the parts(heads and stuff)to do the 99 intake swap.

------------------
'96 GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,Roush Cold Air kit,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe, FMS 3.73's, FMS 70mm TB, Steeda Tri-ax, March U/D pulleys

T-Bone's '96 GT
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2000, 12:55 PM   #5
TonyS
Registered Member

Unfortunately, my car only has 30,832 mi on it. But, it is covered under the recall for no $$.

------------------
American Made Pride! Laser-tinted red 96GT, Ported 80mm MAF sensor, KB Super-sub frames, Hooker Aerochamber mufflers, TORCO Racing Oils, K&N Air filter, B&M Ripper shifter, Borg Warner HD Clutch.
Old 07-17-2000, 07:27 PM   #6
96GTBYYOU
Registered Member

Mine went @ 32K!

------------------
96GT, Vortech S-Trim,C&L 80mm mass air,30# injectors, MSD DIS-4, 3.73, Bassani X, Flows, 70mm TB, Subs, Mega-Bite Jr.Lower rear Ctrl Arms, FMS Uppers, Ripper, and a bunch of other $tuff I can't seem to remember!
96GTBYYOU is offline   Reply With Quote