MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-14-2000, 12:43 AM   #1
98YellowGT
Registered Member

Post Muffler question

Is anyone running Magnaflow mufflers on their 96-98 GT? If so, likes/dislikes? cheapest place to order them? But, what would help most would be a sound clip...anyone???

------------------
1998 Yellow GT
Appearance Package
Black Hood/Fender stripe
17" Wheels
FMS 3.73's
Steeda Aluminum Pedal Covers
98YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2000, 07:28 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

I've heard a 4.6 w/magnaflows on it and it was still as quiet as stock, if not a hair more quiet. You'd have to have an off-road h or x-pipe to get any sound from it. On mine I just removed the mufflers and tailpipes, then added turndowns on the stock H-pipe that dump off in front of the rear axle (welded to the stock muffler hangers). It sounds quite good, too. Not overly loud at all. It's amazing how much muffling those 6 freakin' cats do. No drone at 2000 rpm like most mufflers/catbacks (flowmasters, etc.). You can hear the car, expecially when ya get on it, but at idle it's actually pretty quite with a nice low rumble to it. I love it cause it doesn't sound like any other stang around here. I get alot of compliments on it. Try it and see how you like it. It's very cheap. Cost me $30 to have a shop do it. What could it hurt? You want to get rid of those "50 pound" stock/crap mufflers anyways, don't you? You still have plenty of backpressure from stock h-pipe so I would not worry about that.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers)

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 07-18-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2000, 05:17 PM   #3
98YellowGT
Registered Member

That kinda got me thinking, the only thing is I am probably gonna be getting an aftermarket X/H pipe in a fairly short time, if not at the same time as I get my mufflers. Thanks for the idea though...

Oh yeah, how do you pass inspection?

I've been thinking about a few different muffler brands...
Dynomax
MAC
Magnaflow

I've been trying to find people to talk to that are running any of these on a 96-98 GT, and have been looking for sound files even harder...I'm sure either of the three would sound good, but I don't wanna buy them, then hear a car with one of the others and say "Damn, I wish I would have gotten So-and-so instead"
------------------
1998 Yellow GT 5-speed
Appearance Package
Black Hood/Fender stripe
17x8" Wheels
FMS 3.73's

[This message has been edited by 98YellowGT (edited 07-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 98YellowGT (edited 07-20-2000).]
Old 07-19-2000, 09:45 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Thumbs up

Found!

Dynomax cat back with Bassani X-pipe...
Sound file is available in my sig... Just click and listen...

------------------
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2000, 12:11 AM   #5
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Wow. I getting ready to do the same combo + FRPP headers. Actually it sounds a bit like the Ferrari that was next store at the beach a couple weeks ago.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2000, 11:43 AM   #6
98YellowGT
Registered Member

Thanks Hammer,
I was thinking about that combo myself, when I get an aftermarket X/H pipe, right now I'm leaning toward the Bassani X...what about Bassani's mufflers? they any good?

What I'm really looking for is a mean, aggressive sound...and I think Dynomax would be the way to go for that...how do you like yours? What about the 'popping' sound I've heard people talking about with Dynomax, after you let off after hard acceleration?

btw, sweet car...of course, this is coming from a guy who also has a yellow stang with black hood stripes (albeit, different stripes)...love the car though, I like the headlight covers

------------------
1998 Yellow GT 5-speed
Appearance Package
Black Hood/Fender stripe
17x9" Wheels
FMS 3.73's

[This message has been edited by 98YellowGT (edited 07-20-2000).]
Old 07-20-2000, 01:20 PM   #7
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Cool

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Bassani mufflers. But I don't think you could go wrong by getting the whole Bassani Set-up.

If you live in an emissions area, be sure to get the X-pipe with cats to keep the law men happy...

If you listen carefully to the .wav file for my car, you'll be able to here just a bit of that popping sound as it comes down from the high revs... From what I've been told, it's normal. Just the exhaust pressure equalizing itself in the larger exhaust.

I was quite please with the performance and sound from this combo, and I think you will be too if you go the same route.

Hope this helps...

------------------
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2000, 01:41 PM   #8
98YellowGT
Registered Member

I live in Texas (like you), but up in the panhandle...my brother goes to college down there in the dallas area (irving), he drives a black 97 Cobra with red rocker panel stripes, maybe you'll see him.

So, the emissions isn't a real problem.
Dynomax was my first choice, then I heard MAC and kinda liked them...and I heard good stuff about Magnaflow...then I heard a sound file of the Bassani Mufflers over at the Corral (not sure if it as the X AND the Mufflers, or just mufflers) and I liked what I heard.
Thanks for the sound file though, it helped a lot

------------------
1998 Yellow GT 5-speed
Appearance Package
Black Hood/Fender stripe
17x8" Wheels
FMS 3.73's