MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-22-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Cobol
Registered Member

Unhappy 99 GT rear axle noise

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here with a few questions...

My 1999 Mustang GT with 47k miles, the rear axle has started to give out a high pitched whine from 20mph on up. Sounds like a real light metal to metal rubbing.

The dealerships around here (tampa florida) want $350 to tear apart the axle for an inspection and then if it needs a full rebuild they want another $2000 to $2300 for a rebuild and about $100 less for a new axle install (The new axle costing around $1600 the rest labor.)

Is this a normal to have to rebuild the rear axle every 50k miles or so?

Is that a normal price for rear axle replace/rebuild?
(My mustang experience is only with older stangs where you could buy a new axle for around $700-800).

Is there any one in the Tampa or Central florida area who you would recommend to bring my mustang for this repair?

Thank you ahead of time for your help.

I would just buy the axle myself and put it in but I dont own any tools or have a garage anymore. I've swapped axles in a 66, a 73, and an 86 stang before so I dont think im a complete moron.
Just seems like a bit much for an axle replacement and seems like it shouldnt need a full rebuild every 50k miles on a stock GT.
Cobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: 99 GT rear axle noise

Call FordSpeed Racing over in Largo and talk with Joe. A complete tear-down and rebuild shouldn't cost you more than $350 unless you need to replace the gear set or differential and then it'd only be about $150 more. I don't know what dealership you're going to, but they're trying to rip you off. Most likely, you've just got a bearing going bad and need to replace only the bearings, not the entire axle assembly. Even if the entire axle needs replaced (not likely), you can buy a complete new rear (minus brakes & axles) for about $900 and put it in yourself in a day's time. For a noise such as you describe, I'd only charge a customer $175 to $225 for labor + hard parts. I'd find another dealership.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
Cobol
Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: 99 GT rear axle noise

Jeff,

Thank you.

I talked with Fordspeed racing today. Cost of the labor to tear it down and put it back together again was quoted as $225. Even replacing every bearing he said it would come under $400.

That is soooooooo much better than the $2300 the dealership wanted.

Thank you again.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:33 AM   #4
98gtman
Registered Member

I had that happen to a gmc van that i have its sounds like a carrage bearing od maybe your shaft input bearing and for the dealer you are diff. getting robbed never go to the dealer always a rip off they go by a book on pricing call another dealer and see what there want for the job.
98gtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #5
Cobol
Registered Member

Smile Re: 99 GT rear axle noise

I did call several dealerships in the tampa bay area and all of them quoted a prices within 10% of each other.

Sucks that I just bought this mustang and the dealership refused to give any warranty. (Big warning sign but the price was right.)

I appreciate your input and Jeffs. Work is sending me all over the place the next 2 weeks (Lodi OH to Erie PA to some little town in NJ) but as soon as I get back I'm bringing the car in to Joe at FordSpeed Racing.

Now that I know the rear axle wont cost me an arm and leg I can look forward to spending my christmas bonus on other things for the mustang. (hmmm subframe connectors and bigger brakes. Maybe!)
Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
kbeistel
Registered Member

I also have a 99 GT. I believe the differential is shot. There is oil everywhere and a horrible whirring noice (starts at about 35mph, goes quiet around 80mph). I live in Napa, Ca., anybody have an idea of how much this may cost me to get it repaired and any suggestions on where to have it done?
kbeistel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: