MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-19-2000, 12:11 PM   #1
zimonawhim
Registered Member

Question Breaking in...

How long should i wait to push my 2000GT? What's an optimal break in time? Also, I would like to begin enhancing my stang but am pretty new at this. Does anyone have any advice about where to start(in the long run I'll be able to afford more expensive equipment but now I'm limited to only modest and prudent[but quality!] add ons.
zimonawhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 12:39 PM   #2
Ch4nce
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Congrats on the new stang! I waited a few months (2500) miles before I really started hounding on my car. But I still drove it kinda hard when it was new. As far as mods go, I started out with new gears (FMS 3.73s), they give you a little more bite when you hit the gas. Mine cost about $400 installed. After the gears I got a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, which compliments the new gears well. The shifter only cost $179 and is very easy to install. I installed that myself. Other minor/cheap things you can do is to get a K&N Air filter. I also removed the air silencer from the airbox. Which is FREE! Although there are mixed feelings about what types of gains you get from this, I figured its worthwhile for my regular street racing. My next mod will be Flowmaster mufflers, and then Im gonna hold off for a while and save some money. Hope this helps ya out a bit on what you can do. For more info on stuff you can do check some of the major websites like Mustangworld.com and stangnet.com.....

------------------
1999 Mustang GT 35th Anniversary Edition - FMS 3.73s, Abbott Compensator, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, K&N Air Filter, Air Silencer Removed, Rear Bumper Inserts
Ch4nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 01:13 PM   #3
zimonawhim
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm wet behind the ears with mod knowledge, but I've been devouring everything I look up. I've been reading some of the posts here and can tell people know their stuff. The 3.73 is probably the first on my list. My wallet is keeping me conservative, but I will find a way. Thanks again...
zimonawhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 01:39 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Welcome Zimona,
Check out 97GTSTANG's threads on advice for first mods on 4.6s. Actually, I should start a FAQ for new forum users...

------------------
98 GT
Bassani X-pipe, Dyno-Max Cat backs, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, FMS pullies, 87mm MAF, Roush cold air kit, Eibach springs, and Zex 75 shot
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 07:40 PM   #5
Ch4nce
Registered Member

Red face

Hey Zimona, one thing about the 3.73s on the 99/00 model stangs is you will have to get either a computer chip or a compensator in order to get your speedometer to read correctly. You speedo will be about 10mph fast when you first get the gears installed until you get the compensator. I bought the Abbott Compensator which cost $120. You can order it from Houston Performance (www.houstonperformance.com)....Hope this info gets to you in time so you will be able to get it done right the 1st time.

------------------
1999 Mustang GT 35th Anniversary Edition - FMS 3.73s, Abbott Compensator, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, K&N Air Filter, Air Silencer Removed, Rear Bumper Inserts
Ch4nce is offline   Reply With Quote