MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-15-2000, 02:22 PM   #1
St_Brawler
Registered Member

Question Shift Kit 4 the AODE

I ordered a shift kit for my AODE andI was wondering if anyone try to install the kit by them selfs or did you take to a shop. How hard is it to install?? Can I do it in my garage?? Do I need any special tools?? And how long should it take for a first time?? Thank you.
St_Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2000, 07:57 PM   #2
macx
Registered Member

First, read then reread the instructions. Untill you understand them. Usually, the illustrations are incomplete or unclear. Go to the local li brary and look in a big Chilton type manual for much better detailed illustrations and it will help you gain understanding of your valve body.

You need to get the car up so you can work comfortable under it - usually a little over a foot will do if you don't mind working on your back. (Highly recommend getting a pan drain plug kit if you need to get into it again) Loosen the pan bolts, starting at the rear. Use a large pan, or 2, usually the fluid will start dripping out the back. Leave a couple front corner bolts in, just loose, and remove the rest starting at the back. Allow the fluid to run out - don't be in a rush. That will save some mess. You'll have to disconnect some linkage - outside and in. Take a GOOD look, or take a Polaroid or something, and match what you see with your instructions BEFORE you take anything apart. Make notes on instructions can help. After pan, remove filter. Then there will be lot of small bolts. Some longer - make notes or diagram where all go. Take VB down and do mods per instructions.

You'll flip over so thin plate is up, rremove CAREFULLY so you don't loose little balls in grooves under plate. Again, make notes if your diagram not clear. When reassembling, torque to specs, working from the center out. For the pan, use carb spray and clean bolt threads and bolt holes. Blow or air dry. Use loctite and torque to specs. Then bolts won't work loose. If pan rail is [pushed in toward gasket around bolt holes, carefully pound back so rail is flat. Follow directions, or add a couple quarts fluid, start, shift thru cycles a couple times, check fluid untill stabilizes full. Not difficult procedure if you follow instructions carefully. For first timer, allow an afternoon. Last caution, go "conservative" settings unless you really want hard banger shifts! You can always go more radical, but usually you can't reverse procedure without getting new vb plate. Enjoy - shift kits are great! Check baumannengineering.com for good Fordtrans tech info.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2000, 06:41 PM   #3
Eminent18

I thought that you could not get a shift kit on the newer type mustangs like the 4.6. I heard that you had to get a reprogrammer or something.