MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-28-2002, 06:03 PM   #1
steedamustang01
Registered Member

Default How Much Of The Coil Should I Cut On Saleen Springs?

WELL PEOPLE, I HAVE A 2001 MUSTANG GT COUPE. I HAVE THE SALEEN RACE CRAFT SPRINGS ON AND IT DROPPED IT ABOUT AN IN OR SO. BUT NOW IT'S TIME TO CUT A LITTLE BIT OFF. THESE SPRINGS HAVE BEEN ON FOR A WHILE SO THEY HAVE SETTLED. I CAN FIT LIKE 4 FINGERS IN THE WHEEL WELL GAP. I ONLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO FIT 1 FINGER. HOW MUCH OF THE SPRING SHOULD I CUT? 1/2 A COIL? A FULL COIL? PLEASE I NEED HELP. I DON'T WANT TO CUT TO MUCH AND BE ON THE GROUND. BUT I DON'T WANT TO NOT CUT ENOUGHT TO WHERE THERES NOT ALOT OF DIFFERENCE. I WANT MY CAR SITTING REALLY REALLY LOW. BUT STILL BE ABLE TO DRIVE IT. HERE'S A PIC OF MY BUDDYS SALEEN AND I WANT MINE TO SIT LIKE HIS. PLEASE HELP. THANKS.

I DON'T HAVE MONEY FOR COIL OVERS. I'M JUST GOING TO CUT THEM AND PUT CASTER CAMBERS ON.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tony.jpg (204.8 KB, 22 views)
MODS: - Painted Side Mirrors, Straight Pipes, K&N Filtercharger, Modified Air Silencer, Steeda Tremex 3650 Short Throw Tri-Ax Shifter, Saleen MOMO Shifter, Custom Painted Interior, Modified Saleen Racecraft Progressive Sport Springs SLAMMED 3 1/2 inches, Saleen S-281 Wing, Saleen chrome wheels 18x9 front and 18x10 rear, Saleen Locking Lugs, 265-35-ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1-S's, White Face Indiglo Gauges, 9007 Silver Star HID Headlights, Personalized Licence Plate " 2L8 I 1 " (To Late I Won), Chrome Bumper Decal inserts, Lowered Windshield Wiper MOD, MAC Offset rack bushings, 5% Limo Window Tint.
steedamustang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 06:12 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Couldn't tell you. I will tell you that cutting springs is a bad idea. Not only can you have dangerous fitting problems, but you alter the spring rate, and you destroy the ride characteristics of the car.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 07:51 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I would agree with Unit here. How the car rides and handles depends on more than just the spring rate. If you cut off a coil you are changing the dynamics of the vehicle. If those Saleen springs are progressive, then you especially shouldn't cut them because you will be removing the softer portion of the spring at the bottom and making it shorter - it will ride like a covered wagon. Some springs also have dead coils at the bottom that compress and touch each other when they are loaded (they approace infinitely stiff when they stack on top of each other, so they don't effect the way the rest of the spring works), but are just springy enough to insure that the spring will not lose contact when the spring extends like if you do a Dukes of Hazzard maneuver. You may even be risking a spring popping out if you cut them.
I would save up for coilovers... That way you can adjust the height just right. Otherwise if you cut your current springs and don't get it right, you are screwed. Even if you do get the height right, you may still be screwed.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 08:44 PM   #4
Torinalth
Registered Member

if you want it that low then you are going to have to get either new springs or get cloilovers that will drop you low enough to do just that. cutting springs is just a bad idea for the above reasons.

Torinalth
Old 05-29-2002, 02:20 AM   #5
StangGT2002

Hey buddy! DONT CUT YOUR SPRINGS. I cut the eibach pro kit springs and its the worst decision I ever made. The ride quailty became pure SH*T!!!! I felt every single bump in the road and bounced all over the place......It probably felt worse than driving a pinto!! Get coilovers like i did.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:37 PM   #6
MIKESHAW
Registered Member

cuttting your spring will make you stang ride like garbarge. my friend cut his springs in his eclipse and it rode so bad the next day he bought coil overs.
MIKESHAW is offline   Reply With Quote