MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Question So what next??

Ok guys, the Vortech is comin in this week, installed by next week. Good stuff. So everything being stock, I have a few questions for you.

Presently: I have very little money left, of course. I don't know if I should get a cat back or just get free-er flowing mufflers for right now, i.e. Flowmaster, Dynomax, etc.

Future: When I become super rich (thus implying that, yes, hell WILL freeze over), what's next? Full exhaust? More engine work? I know gears, so don't tell me gears, haha! Thoughts? Thanks!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
Crackerballer
Registered Member

Damn, you will be more than just a rice hunter with a cobra and a vortech. Shoot, get you some gears, headers, a cat back, short thorw, some suspension work, and an accufab throttle body, you will kick major ***. Your my idol.

-2000 Silver GT 5 Speed-
BBK Long Tube Headers
Matching H-pipe
Flowmasters
Cobra Front Bumper Cover
20% tint
Custom Painted Interior
(done by me)
Steeda Tri-Ax on the way
3.73's waiting to be installed
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 05:14 PM   #3
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Definitely get a shifter. I'd also get some longtubes, an offroad X and a catback of some sort. Gears would be cool, but I wouldn't go too steep or else traction will be a MAJOR issue. Maybe 3.73's. Also, drag radials are going to become a musthave item after the blower goes on. Good luck with everything!

If you really wanted a badass car, IMO, all you'd need besides the cobra & blower is a nice exhaust system, a shifter, and some key suspension pieces. Don't go way overboard with it. A well handling, sweet looking, throaty sounding, 12sec cobra is a very nice car to own.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 06:12 PM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

A few suggestions:
Shifter
Subframe connectors
Lowering springs
Power pipe
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 12:04 AM   #5
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Ok man, looking at everyone's long lists of stuff, that you cant afford right now, I'd go with the shifter and the cat-back. Then save for the rest. Just replacing the mufflers wont do much and you'll probably want to get a full cat-back later on down the road anyway. And a shifter is...a must. You dont want to miss a gear in the middle of a race. Considering your money at the moment, I would just go with those. You can get the rest later.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 12:14 PM   #6
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Hey, thanks for the replies guys (especially you, Crackerballer , good ego boost, thanks!). These mods are all I things I would love to do, but I think 96GTPRT hit the nail on the head.. haha. As always, I save these in a Word file, so I won't forget, thanks again guys!

PS: anyone else is still welcome to reply

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 06:23 AM   #7
FireFinder20
I See Stupid People

Good news is if you haven't already, that '99 Cobra gets a free aftercat system from the dealer as well as a porting job for the intake. There were horrible crimps and restrictions in the intake and exhaust in '99 that made the car less powerful than advertised. Hopefully, there is no statute of limitations on the offending systems...
FireFinder20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 12:23 PM   #8
GTJim
Registered Member

A few other things you might consider which are fairly inexpensive to keep the body flex down and reduce the rear wheel hop:

1. Subframe connectors ($80-110)
2. Steeda IRS bushings ($40)
3. Paul's HP IRS pinion brace ($150)
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra - #2277 of 3867

- MM SFC's, Bilsteins, Rear: H&R race springs, PHP IRS brace, Steeda IRS bushings, Front: MM Coilover conversion w/ Hypercoils
- JBA Headers, Bassani X-pipe, Dynomax Ultra-Flow catback
- Procharger P-1SC Stage II
GTJim is offline   Reply With Quote