MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Phly6
Registered Member

Default I want an Indy Car.

Hey everyone. I have an 03 stang gt and ive noticed that its not the best handling car ive ever driven. I have heard of strut bars and things like that but im not going to lie, im a complete newb to handling. I saw an eclipse on my way home from school once playing around in front of me and this thing would jerk across the road like a formula one car. I guess my main question is can i do that to my stang? I assume it's going to have to be lowered and ill need to buy new tires for the rear since they are mostly all burnt off . What else do you think ill need? Thanks.
Phly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

All you need is a good suspension kit from makers like, Steeda, Saleen, etc.. Try mustangsuspension.com or just do a search for suspension kits. And Yes, the car will have to be lowered! If you want an indy car than spend about 2 - 3 grand for a full-on kit!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Go to steeda.com and check out their suspension parts.

Specifically the Stage 1, 2, and 3 kits.... and put that Mitsubishi in it's place
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Before you start doing suspension mods I suggest you decide how much money you can spend and what level of performance you want.
Just buying new stock syle springs and dampers and chassis bracing will only get you so far, and you will never beat alot of the better handling imports.
For the best handling you need to get rid of the stock 4-link quadrabind rear suspension (angled upper arms with rubber bushings are NOT the way to laterally locate an axle or control windup). This means either a Griggs or Maximum Motorsports style torque arm/panhard setup or Steeda 5-link.
I would suggest looking at those manufacturers' websites and also do some searching on cornercarvers.com.
The front is not as hard to upgrade as long as you get the right parts to maintain proper geometry when you lower the car.
I have the full Maximum Motorsports torque arm/panhard and tubular K-member with pretty much everything else they sell and I can tell you the performance is nothing short of spectacular.
Otherwise if you really want an Indy car I can sell you my '79 Mustang Indy Pace Car!
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote