MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-16-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
Morgstang
Registered Member

Default OK who's done the new Steeda N/A tune???.....inquisitive minds want to know

Gotta know how good this tune works. I have a 2002 GT and cant wait to try it. Anyone who has done it already please give feedback. Thanks
Morgstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:49 PM   #2
Craig Detroit
Registered Member

what is it?
Craig Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I would like to know too. What is it?
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 07:45 AM   #4
Morgstang
Registered Member

Default Steeda tune

click on this link: http://www.steeda.com/
They reflash your existing computer and it adapts to all the mods you do. It raises timing and calibrates for gear changes also. At $299 thats a great price in my opinion. A dyno tune can be as much as $460 and from what i hear this tune is better because it adapts to changes.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:12 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Is this it?

If it is I see no mention of anything "adapting", it is simply a reflash of your existing computer for 1999 and newer naturally aspirated Mustang GTs with a manual transmission, Steeda cold air kit, any 3.27-3.55 gears and any legal cat-back exhaust. This calibration corrects the speedometer for gear changes such as 3.55:1 and 3.73:1. This calibration has aggressive fuel and timing curves that compensate for improved breathing with a cold air kit and cat-back exhaust.
If you change anything above or other than that, you get to send your PCM back to Steeda for another reflash. (For a small price I'm sure)

As I said before in another thread, there is NO replacement for a dyno-tune. The simple fact is that every engine is different. Every hp\tq curve is different. Every air\fuel curve is different.

Not only will you see more power from a dyno tune, but your tune will be much safer to the longevity of your engine.

If there's another product I'm missing, please let me know...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 06:02 PM   #6
Morgstang
Registered Member

Default Steeda tune

Hammer,
When i talked to the Steeda rep he said that you DO NOT have to send back for a reflash with additionlal mods. He said as long as its Normally aspirated it will make the necessary changes. Unless i was told something i didnt understand thats what i took it for. He had told me that a dyno tune is only good for what you have done at that time. If anything is done after dyno tune you have to re-do the dyno chip. I am far from an expert on this so im just repeating what was told to me.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:41 AM   #7
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Under normal NA conditions, most bolt-ons will not effect the engine dynamics enough to warrant a different program, which is why you don't need a chip after purchasing a cold air kit or new MAF. In that respect the tech is correct...

But, I know of no "smart" program in a stock PCM that will "sense" whether you have 3.55 or 3.73 gears...

If the PCM is flashed for 3.55s and you go with 3.73s, if you want the speedo correct the PCM will need to be re-flashed or an aftermarket chip added, as a speed cal will not work with 99 and up autos....

There are after-market chips\PCMs that let you do your own re-flashes, but this is not the case... Steeda does the flash in-house.

My honest opinion is to buy a standard chip for your current setup, but one that can also be flashed at a later date with a custom dyno tune.

Find a local shop in your area that dyno-tunes and see what hardware they use. Buy the chip with a "standard" flash for your current mods, and if you ever decide on a dyno-tune, all you'll need is the cash.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote