MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-24-2003, 10:32 PM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Question Clutch "Crickets" - Help

I have a 2000 GT Conv with 40K on it. Whenever the clutch petal is up, I can hear a "cricket" sounding noise (kind of a chirp/squak). This noise is noticeable when driving or at ideal...whenever the clutch is not pressed. If I tap the clutch lightly, the sound stops. You can't hear it with the windows up, but is is noticeable with the top down.

Does anyone know what this might be?

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

t/o bearing most likely.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 07:58 PM   #3
AutoX281
Registered Member

Default TOB

Yea, definitely time to throw out the the throw-out bearing (like you've never heard that before! ).

My original one didn't do it after 100k miles, but when I got a new clutch, the replacement T.O.B. chirped after only 15k miles (just 3k over warrant period!). My g/f's V6 pony is also doing the same thing w/about 50k miles.

Good time to upgrade the clutch b/c they will have to pull the tranny, etc. to get to it.

cheap part, but expensive on labor.

--Javier
98 GT Conv, #81 FS, #18 FSL, current autox-er
84 9W SVO, #??? not ready yet.. future autox-er
AutoX281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:23 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Thank you for the replies! I will probably let it go for a while as I will put the car away for the winter. Could this cause a problem? or should I have it fixed right away? My car is still under an extended bumper to bumper warrenty but they may consider this a "wear" item. Maybe I will get lucky!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 09-26-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
AutoX281
Registered Member

Default ok.....for now....

It should be ok for a little while, but I wouldn't let it go too long. Mine's been chirping for a few thousand miles w/o a major problem, except I've been recently starting to feel the pedal a little loose.

Not sure how long my g/f's car has been doing it, but a couple months at least.

YMMV, so do it as soon as you can.

--Javier
98 GT Conv, #81 FS, #18 FSL, current autox-er
84 9W SVO, #??? not ready yet.. future autox-er
AutoX281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

I would not wait to long I have seen a few come apart

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #7
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I had the car checked out today by the service manager at a Ford Dealer. It was confirmed that the noise is from the TOB (as all of you had guessed) but he suggested that the noise is very minor and is most likely the result of a high-spot on the bearing. He stated that if it were his car, even if he were to do the work himself, he would not as he feels that the effort is not worth it. The cost of the repair is close to $500 which is mostly labor. He thought that the clutch felt fine and that I should wait until the car needs a new clutch before doing so much work.

For now, I will wait until I start to feel any problems with the clutch or the chirping becomes more of a problem. And at that point, I will probably make some trany upgrades.

Thanks!

My Stang:
Old 09-30-2003, 10:38 AM   #8
GTvert
Registered Member

I had the same problem on my 2001 cobra after only 20k.The ford dealership here waranteed it. I don't think that they will warranty the clutch, but they should cover the bearing.While it's out, you could get a new clutch/pressure plate and have them install it and maybe save a few bucks since they already have it apart.

Brandon
Old 10-01-2003, 05:57 PM   #9
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Kinda different with me.Now that i won't be using my system in the car,i was driving around without any music or other background noises,and i noticed one thing.When my clutch is not pressed everything is fine.Bt when i even just slightly press the clutch i can hear those crickets as you call em.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 02:09 PM   #10
GTvert
Registered Member

Sounds like the same situation, but just not as bad yet.The longer it goes without fixing, the more you will have to press in your clutch.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:46 PM   #11
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Does the bearing usually come with an aftermarket clutch?Because i was gonna get a performance clutch anyway.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 02:43 PM   #12
GTvert
Registered Member

Yeah, it usually comes with a clutch,pressure plate,and throwout bearing.