MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-29-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
acidskie
Registered Member

Default new member needing info

Hey all,
First off... I am a new first time stang owner. I now own a 02 GT. I am very very happy with the car. I only recieved on key via the dealer though bring used... so I want to know if anyone has had to have new keys made and programmed and about what the dealer charged. I got it from a non-ford dealership, so I don't think They are going to cut me any breaks either. Some advance idea fo what to expect would be nice incase a the dealer is overcharging I can let him know.
Thanks all.
acidskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:46 PM   #2
ac97gt
Registered Member

my ford dealership charged me like $60 for my key to be made and programmed. i dont know how different it is for the 97s and 02s but i found out after that i could have bought a blank key online, had it cut, and programmed it myself easily, it was right in the manual how to program it. definitely read into it before you get ripped off at the dealer... try a search on this website.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:30 AM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

I bought two keys on E-bay for ten bucks and had them programmed by the local ford dealer for $ 20.00. If I could do it myself I got ripped off! I have no manual so if someone can post how to program the key yourself it would be great.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:43 PM   #4
GTvert
Registered Member

Found this, if it still helps anybody

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php

Brandon
Old 10-02-2003, 03:34 PM   #5
AutoX281
Registered Member

Default more than 2 keys

My g/f was told that you could have no more than 2 keys (she wanted a spare for her spare). anyone know if this is true? even if you do it yourself? Does one key get de-programmed if you program another one? She has a 99 V6.

thanks
98 GT Conv, #81 FS, #18 FSL, current autox-er
84 9W SVO, #??? not ready yet.. future autox-er
AutoX281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:01 AM   #6
acidskie
Registered Member

Hears the deal...
You can have as many keys as you wish for a 02-04 *I would assume this applies to the 99-01's also but not sure there*, but you have to have at least 2 keys inorder to program any more yourself. If you only have 1 key, then the dealer has to do it. I did some good old fashioned phone calls and I was told $80, $60, $39, and $25 just to do the programing. These dealerships are all within 30 miles of me. Very odd how each dealer gets to set their price on this but oh well. Also the dealers all wanted $25 per key, but ebay does have them for as low as $10 each.

So if you have 2 of your own keys... buy more off ebay, get them cut at a hardware store, and then program them via the instructions in your manual.

If you only have 1 key... like me... then your SOL. Buy of ebay, get it cut at a hardware store, and then call all the local dealers your willing to drive to and check thier price. As you can see above.. it can be very diff.
acidskie is offline   Reply With Quote