MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
tecal18
Registered Member

Default MAC or Dynomax or Flowmaster

I am a 1st time mustang owner. I have 93 LX Drop Top 5.0 M/T, I need new exhaust. I want a catback system, a buddy of mine has a 88 GT 5.0 with a H pipe and Dyno max, sounds really good. I just want the catback, Im mostly looking for sound, but not anoyance, its a drop top just wanna go crusing with a decent sounding system..
PLease let me know, with chrome tips a must. HELP
Tecal18
tecal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:34 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: MAC or Dynomax or Flowmaster

Flowmasters sound great on 5.0s, get the 40 series catback with the polished stainless steel tips. There is nothing better for just catback.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
Mach 1
Registered Member

I had the flowmaster cat back system and hated it. Ity sounded like tin cans dragging behind the car, and the fit was not that good. I took it off and bought the dynomax system. Fit perfect and sounded better.

Go Dynomax!
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
mark sweetser
96GREENGT

i've got 2 chamber flows on my 96 gt along w/ bassani cat-x, but you've got a 5.0 so don't take my word for it....But, a buddy of mine had a '90 GT w/ MAC shorties, H-pipe and cat-back, that car sounded great.
-'96 GTS Deep Forest Green Metallic- 8#Powerdyne,Bassani Cat-X,2 chamber Flows, FMS alum. DS,Kenne Brown subframes,Pro 5.0 short throw,FRPP 3.73's,Accufab Plenum/75mm TB,11# blower pulley,Bassani mid headers,Eibach 1.5" springs,17" Cobra R's w/ 275/40zr-17 g-force kd's,Centerforce Dual Friction
-'87 Black LX 5.0
BBK shorties&Cat-X,2 chamber Flows,MSD ign,stock 3.08's,MGW short-throw,BBK cold-air,King Cobra clutch,235/55-17(F)&255/50-17(R) Kumho Ecsta's on 95 Cobra R 4-lugs
mark sweetser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange97GTVert
Flowmasters sound great on 5.0s, get the 40 series catback with the polished stainless steel tips. There is nothing better for just catback.
There are several aftermarket exhaust companies that make catback systems that make more power than the Flowmaster & IMO sound much better, and not as loud.

I recently ditched my 2 chamber Flowmasters for the DynoMax super turbo 2.5" catback ssystem. I have an offroad h-pipe so I opted for the DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers as opposed to the DynoMax Ultra Flos. The Super Turbos are much quieter than my old 2-chamber Flowmasters. I picked more power with the DynoMax system too. I haven't dynoed it but I picked up a little more than a tenth of a second in the quarter mile. If you have your catalytic converters in still I'd get the UltraFlos. If you have an offroad h-pipe I get the Super Turbos so that you can still hear yourself think.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
jrgoffin
Registered Member

Another vote for DynoMax and the Super-Turbo's! The fit is incredible, absolutely no problems, should have come this way from the factory. They are definitely quieter than the FlowMasters I just removed, but the car sure feels to pull harder and sounds great with the x-pipe as well. I was getting tired of the raspiness and since I am getting older, wanted to go back to a more mellow sound. For the price, this kit can't be beat, especially with the SS tips. Have heard a lot of guys with fitment issues when it comes to MAC and FlowMaster, but never have heard one complaint about DynoMax!
Old 05-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

I vote for MAC'S!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/822269

4barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:06 PM   #8
sgwinn
Registered Member

I also opted for dynomax. got the Ultra flow SS mufflers. The fit was great. Sound is probably more conservative than Flowmax. My 18 yr old son drives it a lot and i wanted to make sure they were not too loud. I love the deep tone; but can so stealth when necessary!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
83GTMUSTANG
N-V-ME

I Have 2 Chamber Flowmasters On Mine There Great But If You Dont Wont It Loud Get Three Chamber Flows . Flows Are The Number 1 Selling Mufflers , Point Proven.........
83GTMUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #10
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GTMUSTANG
I Have 2 Chamber Flowmasters On Mine There Great But If You Dont Wont It Loud Get Three Chamber Flows . Flows Are The Number 1 Selling Mufflers , Point Proven.........
Aha-ha! That's funny. You're still stuck in the Flowmaster craze, huh? Flowmaster probably is the number one selling muffler for your average person that doesn't know much about the aftermarket world that is available. And being the most poplular brand of muffler...certainly doesn't mean that everyone should run right out and buy one! Do some research. Flowmaster mufflers DO NOT make the most power. Their desgin is dated. It's not so much a muffler as it is a chamber(s) to get that Dronemaster sound. Magnaflow & DynoMax both make mufflers that produce more horsepower and yet, are quieter. Sure when I was 19 I wanted to have a loud car. But we all know loud doesn't equal fast, lol. DynoMax has my vote. And this is coming from a guy who has ran nothing but 2-chamber Flowmaster on the two Mustangs I've owned. Just in the last few months did I finally get the DynoMax Super Turbo catback system. I picked up over a tenth in the quarter mile from the DynoMax catback. No other mods were done but the exhaust. Again..."I PICKED UP OVER A TENTH IN THE QUARTER MILE"! Point proven....
Old 05-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #11
jrgoffin
Registered Member

Just to add to that for reference...

If you look at flow numbers for a straight pipe vs. a straight-through muffler (like a Dynomax Ultra-flow), vs. a Super-Turbo, vs. a chambered muffler (ie., FlowMaster), you'd get #'s something like this (all 2.5"):

Straight pipe: 475+CFM
Straight-through muffler: 450+CFM
Super-Turbo: 425+ CFM
Chambered: 325+ CFM

Of course these numbers all vary from test to test, but it gives you a ball-park idea! I'm still glad I removed my FlowMasters (2nd set) and went to the Super-Turbo's!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 PM   #12
maiden_deth
Registered Member

i got and off road h-pipe and threw some Borla Turbo mufflers at the end and made it dump offs instead off buying the whole cat back. not too loud but great performance.
Borla mufflers to dump off
Auburn 28 spline rear diff.
K&N conical filter
C&L 76mm elbow
BBK 75mm throttle body
MSD distributer
Edelbrock performer RPM II
3.73 gears
maiden_deth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #13
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_deth
i got and off road h-pipe and threw some Borla Turbo mufflers at the end and made it dump offs instead off buying the whole cat back. not too loud but great performance.
You're losing some low end torque by running the dumps instead of a true 2.5" tailpipe. I ran turn downs (dump offs) on my car with 2-chamber Flows when I first rebuilt my motor. A year or so later I put tailpipes on because it was so loud I was sick of it...I picked up a ton of torque down low...and gained a little in the quarter just from reinstalling the tailpipes.