MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-14-2002, 03:54 PM   #1
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Default Opinions needed on 97 GT please

I've found a 97 GT (black/tan leather int. 5 speed, Mach stereo system, 67k, 16 inch wheels, power everything) and it's selling for $8900 and there are a few BUTS though. 1) It has a salvaged title, it was hit on the drivers side and the trunk lid appears to be a little off center and maybe the hood is a tad also. 2) The engine bay is VERY dirty, I think they said they still have to clean it. 3) I think the driver's seat is a little messed up. I'm 6-2 and it doesn't go nearly as far back as the driver's seat of my g/f's 2000 Stang, both are power seats and I have plenty of room in her Stang.....is this an easy fix?? I am going to test drive it Wednesday afternoon, so I'll tool on it a little and see how it feels. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Personally I think that's a bit much for it. Especially since it sounds like there's still parts out of alignment and all. Doesn't sound like it was put back together correctly or it may have been so bad that it can't.
My 96 driver's seat didn't go back far enough either and I'm only 6 foot. That's just the seat arrangement in the car. I was always a little cramped in my 96. Mine wasn't power seats though. I'd take it to a body shop and have it looked over REALLY well.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:55 PM   #3
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

I'd be really, really leery of buying any car with a salvage title. For your own safety and peace of mind, you should have it checked out by a good mechanic that knows Mustangs. You never know how these things are put back together. Could have been a wine-head, or a craftsman.

Also, consider the fact that a car with a salvage title will be harder to sell and bring less money than a car with a clean title.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 05:15 PM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I think that price is too high. I've seen 94-96 GT's around here go for almost half of that, they have clean titles and have anywhere from 60K to 120K miles.

There was a change with the drivers seat in the 1999 GT. I believe they gave 2" more room than the SN95's before 1999.

I'm 6 foot and have the same problem, I drive with the seat all the way back.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 08:43 PM   #5
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

I appriciate the replies guys, atleast I'll have fun with the test drive Might be a little cramped though.....

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 05-14-2002, 10:14 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Not worth it. Why would you want to pay a lot of money for what will likely turn out to be a piece of ****?

Pass it by, and don't even make an offer. Don't take their offer if they make one to you.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 06:50 AM   #7
surfbeast
Registered Member

Take a look at the pic of my car and my sig. If they want 8,900 for a 97 with 67 let them look at my car!. I paid 9.00 for my car with a salvage title but everything is nearly perfect. The seat can be a problem for us tall guy's, the seat just won't go back far enough to suit me. A salvage title car can be a good deal if it was rebuilt correctly, also if you know going into it what you are getting it saves alot of money. I just bought my wife a 32K windstar with all options for 15K. I watched the guy rebuild it from the time he first brought it into the shop. Only buy a salvage if you know the repair guy well enough to trust him. Also, 8,900 for a 97 GT is about the trade value of a clean title car, they are ripping you off!!!! They have about $1,500 in the car and about another 1,500 in parts/labor. Pass on those guys, CROOOOOKS!!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 08:35 AM   #8
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Thumbs down DON'T BUY IT!

I would never buy a car I knew was in a wreck. I would strongly suggest to keep looking since there are somany GT's out there for sale that are still in mint condition.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 03:09 PM   #9
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Well I test drove it and it felt good, not too impressed, but it felt like me I'm not going to get it but atleast I know, I REALLY want one now Later guys, Thanx

Rice Hater's Club #36
Old 05-15-2002, 06:36 PM   #10
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Just to let you know...

About a week ago, 5 girls from our local High School got into a car accident and hit a street light pole...

The car (not a mustang but bigger) split in two... I mean the front actually completely separated from the rear right down the seat line. The two girls in the front died, one right away, the other a day later. The three girls in the back lived but one lost a leg.

The car had a salvage title...

Actual story...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 07:22 PM   #11
surfbeast
Registered Member

There is a difference in a salvage title and a totaled ( can't remember the correct term ) title. A car that was two cars welded back together is not a real salvage title. Todays cars are so high dollar that insurance companys sometime total a car to keep from having to pay out a big settlement. My SALVAGE title car was a 98 GT that was stolen and stripped, hit real light in the front drivers side, not enough to set off air bags, and recovered after insurance paid off. the other parts were off a 98 cobra that had been hit in the rear to hard it wasn't worth repairing. the sheetmetal from front and the brakes and some interior were put into the stripped GT. If you had a minor accident and had the body shop fix your car that is what my car would be like, but for about 4-6K less. It's true that alot of salvage cars a crap but there are also alot of good ones out there if you find the right repair shop. BUYER BEWARE!!
Old 05-19-2002, 11:50 AM   #12
mustanggirl_78
Registered Member

Default What i would do .

I also have a 97 gt .. and it is an awesome car and it seems to be tough . Although with the problems youve listed .. and considering the price they are selling it for..... if i were you i would be scouting out some other options. If i were you .. during your test drive i would basically demand that you take it alone! if they say that isnt an option then i would politely decline .. if they will allow this .. i would take it to the nearest ford dealer and have them take a look at it and let you kno what is exactly wrong and how much your looking at to fix the problems. You have to be careful with buying high proformance cars if you dont haev the money to put into it . Especially with seeing it has some "ify" things already . Msg me back and let me know how it works out ;o) Happy car hunting ;o)
mustanggirl_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:21 AM   #13
Try Me
Registered Member

Don't do it.

Get a 99 and up or for the money you want to spend you can have a damn fine Fox.