MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
LordKyl
Registered Member

Default exhaust

I just bought a 2001 Mustang GT last week. I love the car and can't wait to start adding stuff to it.

So far the only thing I did was take out the air silencer.

The next thing I want to do is replace the factory exhaust.

I've heard alot about Flowmaster and I am thinking that they would sound pretty good, but I'm not sure exactly what to get.

Since the exhaust is factory I will need to cut the tips off the mufflers, right?

Will I need to buy an entire catback kit?

Also, I don't think we have emissions in our area yet (rural PA) so could I get an off-road xpipe? Will it sound alot louder?

Lemme know what you think.

thanks!
LordKyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If you just want to change the sound of the car you can either have mufflers welded in or change the catback. This will only net you a couple of horsepower; nothing noticeable. Changing the factory crossover pipe to an aftermarket H- or X-pipe will give you a more noticeable gain. If you get one without cats, it will make the car alot louder but it will not be emissions legal.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:17 PM   #3
Ryan94GT
Registered Member

Congrats on your purchase!
I have a MAC cat-back on my 1998 GT.
It is a 2-1/2" cat-back exhaust with 3-1/2" chrome tailpipes. It sounds mellow at idle, but has a nice deep sound when in the throttle...this is with the factory 6 catted h-pipe.

I recently installed an off-road x-pipe. Big difference in sound! At idle it sounds racy. Going thru the gears it has a definite growl that gets noticed..but I like it. You will also gain some horsepower by losing the cats.

I would not replace just the mufflers. I would recommend a complete cat-back system to ensure you have a true 2-1/2" size all the way back....unlike the factory crimped pipes.

I got my x-pipe for less than $150.00 at -
http://www.uprproducts.com

You can search around for your cat-back system.
The MAC system I have is around $325 but you could also try the Bassani (excellent system but pricey), Flowmaster, Spintech,
etc.

Good luck,
Ryan
Ryan94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:31 PM   #4
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Get the flowmaster American Thunder series Cat back... It has a nice throaty sound when your on the gas but just crusing it has a deep rumble... I just installed this on my girlfriends '03 GT and we noticed a slight change in power and yes you want the cat back because the factory pipes are garbage.. plus you get the 3 1/2" chrome tips that read Flowmaster on the top.. Cost is about $350.00. Go to summitracing.com
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 05:16 PM   #5
roundeye82
Registered Member

I have an 03 GT and I chose the Magnaflow straight-through muffler. They sound great and are less restrictive than the Flowmasters. But if you plan to add and aftermarket H or X pipe later you may make your car louder than you want. Where I live restrictions on emissions are not that big of a factor. It depends on who you know right!! Anyway ... just a suggestion.

P.S. The Magnaflow are stainless steel and guaranteed never to rust, while the Flowmasters are just galvanized aluminum.
roundeye82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:37 PM   #6
LordKyl
Registered Member

I really just want the car to sounda little louder. A friend of mine has a Magnaflow on his truck and it sounds nice.

I'm still not sure which kit I'll get, but at least I understand what I need now.

Thanks everyone
LordKyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

Magnaflow has my vote, I have tried a lot of other mufflers, and Magnaflow by far has the highest quality, and the loudest muffler. All stainless steel, polished mufflers, and I love the SS tips, they are like no other. If you want something that sounds good, but not as loud go with the borla, or the Steeda, they are good quality as well, but have a smoother sound. I myself am looking to get a quiter muffler since I have long tube headers with exhaust cutouts I can make my car loud at the flip of the switch. And the ladies love it when you are taking them for a ride, and when you reach down to flip that switch and the silence is broken with a LOUD rumble. It is awsome. The magnaflow sounds really loud and really good, but I want more of a difference between open cutouts and closed cutouts. The best of both worlds.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote