MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-19-2003, 10:15 AM   #21
NOSstang08690
Registered Member

alright, here is were I am at now....

I am thinking of just going with the FMS piece. I am alittle nervous. I really wanted to go with the heads, cams, intake, and headers, but every company I talk to says that the bottom end will not hold up. They all said to change the motor.

So, basically I am most likey going with just the FMS intake. Does anyone know about it I have been reading but it says all the things that it comes it comes with, like the throttle body inlet tube etc But I am not sure about the mass air meter, Do I just use the stock one????

I reason I was woundering was becuase I just bought the hole set from C & L, I bought the mass air meter and inlet tube. But I am not happy with them I would like to take them off and sell them on ebay. Just wanted to see if the new intake comes with the mass air meter, if anyone knows.

Rice Haters Club Member # 99!!!!!
HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS
1997 GT
12.41 @ 109 mph
NOSstang08690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:50 PM   #22
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerBravo
I've got a 98 and mine leaks out of the thermostat housing. Not much, but enough to get on my nerves. You think I could go to Ford and just order the intake and put it on myself?
Yes you can replace it yourself...

And you can buy the stock replacement (new) with aluminum runner with gaskets and alternator bracket for cheap from Baltimore Ford.

Check out this thread... New replacement manifold...

Also, check out my webshot pictures for a general "How to" for replacing the manifold...

How to: Manifold replacement pictures

I took mine out but the used replacement I got (that did not have the aluminum runner) ended up breaking at the temp sensor, the same place my current manifold is leaking from. This is where the aluminum runner is on the better replacement. I'll be putting in a new one in a couple weeks and will be re-doing my How-to with better pictures. PM me if you have any removal/install questions.
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:05 PM   #23
TigerBravo
Registered Member

Thanks GaryDawg, I'm either going to do that or I'm going to try and find a cheap set of PI heads and intake. Thanks for the info.
TigerBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:31 PM   #24
AutoX281
Registered Member

So my 98 just started leaking coolant out the thermostat housing. (116k miles so far) I tried replacing the o-ring and using The Right Stuff to seal it, and now it's leaking from the driverside bolt on the housing.

I don't necessarily want to spend $2k just on an intake right now. (it's already snowballed in my head to heads, cam, valves, headers, etc, etc. etc... ) So, if I replace the intake w/the $189 plastic one, am I just going to have this problem again later or are these any better than what came on the car?

TigerBravo, what did you end up doing?

Thanks
--Javier
98 GT Conv, #81 FS, #18 FSL, current autox-er
84 9W SVO, #??? not ready yet.. future autox-er
AutoX281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:11 PM   #25
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AutoX281
So my 98 just started leaking coolant out the thermostat housing. (116k miles so far) I tried replacing the o-ring and using The Right Stuff to seal it, and now it's leaking from the driverside bolt on the housing.

I don't necessarily want to spend $2k just on an intake right now. (it's already snowballed in my head to heads, cam, valves, headers, etc, etc. etc... ) So, if I replace the intake w/the $189 plastic one, am I just going to have this problem again later or are these any better than what came on the car?

TigerBravo, what did you end up doing?

Thanks
--Javier
As long as you get the one that I mentioned earlier with the Aluminum Runner you should be fine... Make sure you replace your gaskets.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:36 PM   #26
AutoX281
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GaryDawg
Make sure you replace your gaskets.
Looking at your pics, I figure the upper to lower intake, lower intake to head, and egr to intake gaskets will all be replaced...any others I missed???

--Javier
98 GT Conv, #81 FS, #18 FSL, current autox-er
84 9W SVO, #??? not ready yet.. future autox-er
AutoX281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #27
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AutoX281
Looking at your pics, I figure the upper to lower intake, lower intake to head, and egr to intake gaskets will all be replaced...any others I missed???

--Javier
Your gasket between the upper and lower intake should be fine. And same with the egr gasket (if you don't mess it up). Of course, inspect the two gaskets I mentioned and do replace if necessary but they probably won't need to be.

Should only have to replace the two gaskets that go from lower intake to the heads. The "bead" will probably peel away when you remove the old ones. They will probably cost you $10 to $20 for both.