MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2001, 11:48 AM   #1
stang1996gt
Registered Member

Question gt or cobra

going along with my other question, i want to know if i should get a loaded 01 gt or a 96-98 cobra. i want the cobra more but it would be cool to get a brand new car. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

------------------
1996 GT full exhaust and underdrive pullys: 14.6 @93 MPH
stang1996gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 12:28 PM   #2
T_Bone
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I went w/ the Cobra...no regrets.

------------------
Travis
T-Bones 1997 Cobra#6342 born 6-11-97

Wht/blk, Pro 5.0,FRPP 4.56's, aluminum driveshaft, FRPP throttle body, C&L 80mm MAF, K&N, Steeda U/D pulleys, Steeda timing adjuster, Borla cat-back, BBK cat H-pipe, SFC's, FRPP pro springs, BBK caster/cambers.
Best 1/8 E.T.-8.983 on street tires

T_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 07:41 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Go with the 97 Cobra.... Great car...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
381.8 rwhp 377.6 rwtq

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 09:50 PM   #4
TimGT
Registered Member

If I were you I would get the 01 GT cause the other day I beat a 97 Cobra in my 01 GT. Cobra's are more exclusive but I think if you want to add mods to your car why not go with something that is already faster than a Cobra.

Here's mine http://www.geocities.com/adamrmr1/index.htm
TimGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:32 AM   #5
King Snake
Registered Member

Are you saying your '01 GT is faster than a '97 Cobra? The factory rates the '97 at 13.99 seconds in the 1/4 mile. What do they say about an '01 GT? I'm not saying you didn't beat one, but it is also possible that the Cobra driver was a beginner or missed a gear. Also, '97 Cobras are rated at 305 HP and the '01 GTs are what, 260?

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats

[This message has been edited by King Snake (edited 07-17-2001).]
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 12:53 PM   #6
01blueCobra
Registered Member

I originally thought the question was between a Cobra and a GT of the same year. Anyway I would not trade my Cobra for a GT anyday. The suspension is a totally different ride not to mention the engine and interior refinements. Apples to Apples go with the Cobra.

[/B][/QUOTE]

01blueCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 09:48 AM   #7
CobraFire98
Registered Member

Exclamation

I don't know if you read what I had wrote before on this subject, but I had a choice between a 98 Cobra and a 2000 GT and I took the Cobra. Man, I have never been happier with the performance and styling. Also, it's the last year they made that Cobra in SN95 platform. I wouldn't trade mine in for the world.

------------------
Tony
1998 Cobra
CobraFire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 02:24 AM   #8
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

The Cobras are nice cars, really nice cars. The 4V motor rocks.

But, I know I'm going to catch hell for this, I'd probably go with the 01 GT. The after market for both cars is about equal, Stock Vs Stock, the performance is about equal.

Your getting a new car, you dont know how a used car was driven before, or how much the previous driver really babied the car. You dont know the maintance history of it.

I personally like the looks of the 99+ cars better. To me they look more aggressive and meaner. The 94-98 cars are pretty cars, dont get me wrong.

Now if it was a 99 or 2001 Cobra, then that would be diffrent.

On a side note, If Ford brings out the MACH 1 Mustang and its like the concept, then I'll probably be selling my 2000 GT (If I dont have it paid off by then) and getting one.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Future resto.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 08:24 AM   #9
Rick Yusten

I have a 2001 GT I purchased in March. I was also torn between the Cobra and the GT. After long debates (mostly with my wife over price differance)I went with the GT. I'm not going to try to blow smoke up your butt here just my own personal feelings about my pony.I love my GT. It does not have the h.p. or the suspension of a Cobra. The Cobra has four wheel independent suspension and there for handles better and is quicker than the GT. But for less than $23,000 I got a fully loaded GT,leather seats,a kick butt sound system,power windows,locks and seats with lumbar supports wrapped in an electric green shell that looks simply terrrrrific.My 5 speed transmission makes it a blast to drive on winding roads.I have had the car up to 130 mph in about a 2 mile run.(have not been to the strip with it yet). So ask yourself what is most important to you in your type of driving and choose from those needs. also remember that you do not know how the used car was treated. Hope I was of some help.
Old 07-25-2001, 01:50 PM   #10
95mustanggt
Registered Member

A Cobra is a Cobra is a Cobra.

But it's a Cobra!

but I do love my GT

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 09:02 PM   #11
46stang
Registered Member

the cobra would be better,but try to buy one with as low of miles as possible and get as much info on the car as possible. you don't want to buy a car(pony) that has been ridden hard and put away wet.
the 01 gt you wouldn't need to worry about it because you would be the only owner!

------------------
96 stang,ported 99 heads, 99 intake, 99 cams,Steeda power pullies,Kirban adj.reg.,Pro-m 87,24#inj.,70mm t/b,BBK longtube headers,Bassani x-pipe w/cats, Dynomax ultraflow catback,iat mod, home depot ram air, k@n,
373's,cobra brakes,fms spings, lakewood 90/10's and 50/50's tri-ax shifter.
best et 13.80
best mph 103.3
bfg street tires,bakersfield, ca

46stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 09:04 AM   #12
CobraFire98
Registered Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury:

But, I know I'm going to catch hell for this, I'd probably go with the 01 GT. The after market for both cars is about equal, Stock Vs Stock, the performance is about equal.

WANNA RUN THAT BY ME ONE MORE TIME...!!!

------------------
Tony
1998 Cobra
CobraFire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 10:21 AM   #13
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury:

There you go, I ran it by you again!

I've ran two 95 Cobras before, beat them, ran a 96 Cobra before, won that one, and raced a 98 Cobra that a guy at work had, Beat him 3 times. Of course he didnt know how to drive worth a damn, but with as bad as I left him!

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
Old 07-29-2001, 02:23 PM   #14
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Another vote for the Cobra. Here's my opinion which I'm sure others will disagree with.

About the GT. Why buy the inferior car? Sure it's got its strong points. New. Never been driven yet. You get to be the one to know everything about the car and know where it's been. It's a strong stang. 260 hp. A heck of alot better than the first 4.6s from 96-98. I didn't like my 96 much at all. Good looks and good ride. Pretty darn quick now too.

The SVT Cobra. 305 hp. 4V DOHC. Stronger, more powerful and from what I"ve seen and read more durable (stronger internals, better heads, intake, etc). Much better brakes and suspension than the GT. Good looks and ride. The Cobra is built much more performance oriented than the GT, though the new GTs are quite an improvement over the past ones. And don't forget the exclusiveness (is that a word?) of the SVT Cobra. Not everyone has one. You see the regular mustangs all over the place. Not the Cobras. Kinda like my Lightning. Rarely see any around at all.

All around the Cobra is the better of the two hands down. But the GT is a great car as well. The aftermarket is about the same for the two. Both expensive, too. More so than the 5.0s. All it takes is money to go fast but you will have to spend more on the GT to get to where you'd be at with the Cobra. And if someone is only getting a 13.99 out of a 4V Cobra, they need to learn to drive. Hmm....305 hp vs 260 hp. STOCK vs. STOCK the GT will not take a Cobra unless the Cobra driver can't drive at all, or the motor blows, or .......

------------------
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 10:11 PM   #15
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I see alot, I mean alot of Cobras around here. Granted, not as many as I see GT's, but the Cobras are hardly rare around here.

As for the 260 HP vs the 305, theres alot more than just Horsepower ratings that come into play, like gearing, tranny gearing (Close ratios, wide ratios, and so on).

The Cobra and GT of today use the same rear end gears, and the same tranny gear ratio, but the way the cars are set up from the factory, the ratios seem to be set up in favor of the GT.

As to why Ford did that is beyond me. They should of offered a lower ratio on the Cobra from the Factory, not even considered the 3:27 to 1 (I know, we have emmissions standards to thank for that) and offered at least another selection of Tranny gearing. Tranny gearing seems to be a bit to wide to utilize the Cobras potential, if Ford worked and Tweaked the gearing and tranny part of the Cobra, I'm sure we could see the car Do some amazing things.

I think it as unfair to call the GT an Inferior car when compared against the Cobra. I love the Cobra, but that Snake Horse needs alittle more bite/kick before I'd go calling it superior to a GT unless the term "Inferior" and "Superior" are to be used loosely. Better, yes.

------------------

Old 07-30-2001, 07:42 AM   #16
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Hmm....you say that the trannies and the rears are set up the same. Then how can it favor the GT? And if they are set up the same, then which do you think is going to be faster: 260 hp or 305 hp? I don't know the torque ratings off hand but the Cobra also has more in that department, too. The Cobra is still faster. BTW, where are you getting the information about the tranny gearing being the same between the two? I'd like to read about it if you could give me a link or something.

I loosely used the term "inferior". Take it as you wish.

Sure there maybe an unusual number of Cobras in your area. So what? There's an unusual number of Lightnings in my area. There's about 10-15 GEN 1 L's here. Think about how many are made of the Cobras vs. the GTs though. What about 6000 or so Cobras made in a model year vs. who knows how many GTs. I'd still call that rare.
------------------
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 07-30-2001).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 10:57 AM   #17
LX NCH 50
Registered Member

Not that I really care too much since I have an 87 notch, but the new GTs are faster then previouse cobras... I have seen a 2001 GT run a 13.8 at the track, and a Bullet run a 13.6... If I were you why not buy hte bullet! Talk about some aggressive looking cars. I love all mustangs but it upsets me to see how poorly stock vs stock mustangs perform on each other. Why does a bullet with 265hp run a 13.6 and a cobra with 320hp run only a 13.3? I know times are only as good as the driver, but for the money you pay for a cobra you should only be able to see a GT in your rear view mirror when you run it. Go figure... Well if I had the cash, I would take a 01 bullet mustang, it has a lowered suspension and a hella agressive looking body kit. It's your personal choice, bullets are as rare as cobras... Have fun
-Kevin
LX NCH 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 01:12 AM   #18
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

96GTS. Yes, Tranny Gear ratios are the same between the T-45 used in the Cobra, and the ones used in the GT T-45 (Well now the T-3650). The rear gear is the same for both, 3:27-1.

If you start considering Torgue curves, Power Curves, and peaks, and broadness of the Power band, thats when you start thinking of gearing. Kinda like when trying to calulate Shift points.

If you look at a Cobras Power and Torque band, and a GT's power and Torque band, and consider in your Shift points and the RPM you fall back at when shifting you'll see what I mean.

I explained that all in my previuos post though. Just in diffrent words. *** for Lightings, There quite a few of those around here also, along with SS's, WS-6's, even a few Saleens, at least two per cruise night, and I'd hardly call Fayettville a booming city, Growing yes.

------------------

Old 07-31-2001, 07:47 AM   #19
96SNAKE
Registered Member

If you want to know the difference between the GT and Cobra you have to drive them both first before giving an honest and realistic opinion. I drove the GT and it feels great and even a little more torquey until the Cobra's secondary throttles open up(around 3400RPM) and then you see what 32 valves do compared to 16. It is almost like the GT runs out of breath at around 6000rpm, where the Cobra just keeps pulling right on through the rev band to 7000+.

The GT's are great cars and the Bullet is very cool too. The point is, get in both of these cars rev them to redline and you will see the difference 32 valves make immediately. Yeah, people will say the GT is right with a 96-98 Cobra stock for stock but that is for two reasons. One, the people with Cobras don't know to rev to redline and the GT has a decent torque curve to take advantage of the Cobra's ridiculously wrong rear gear ratio choice from the factory. Now since we all know we don't keep our cars stock, drop in the best gears for each car and now compare. There is no comparison. Once the Cobra has gears, it simply pulls away from the GT even if the GT has gears too. You can't deny that. As you add more or equal modifications to the 4 valve and the GT the margin widens even more.

I won't even get into the exclusivity part since that is purely subjective but if you care about that sort of thing it's there too.

What I want to see is the Mach I make it to production. A car with serious exclusivity, a cheaper price than a Cobra, solid axle and it is rumored to have a 4 valve engine. This car will kick a$$.

------------------
formerly 96cobra89lx306

(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Saleen copy-polished 18's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(off-road),C&L 80mm,Amsoil etc..

93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

[This message has been edited by 96SNAKE (edited 07-31-2001).]
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 07:58 AM   #20
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Between the Cobra and GT the torque ratings are very close if anything the GT may have a slight edge but in HP it's not close. The reason most of you haven't seen fast 99+ Cobra's at the track is because launching that IRS is not an easy task. With a little driving experience they are just as quick as the 96-98 Cobras. I've seen a stock 96 Cobra with DR's run 13.1 as well as a stock 01 Cobra run 13.5's on stock tires and no mods. I've never seen GT's run anywhere close to this stock.

Plus look at it this way, I have just about every bolt-on short of headers and I'm running 12.9's. A similairly modded Cobra will run 12.2's or quicker.

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys & Timing Adjuster, 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR Pro Series LCA’s, Lakewood 70/30’s & 50/50’s, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
12.91@101.93 (1.74 60ft)
M/M 100, 7085
2001 Mod Motor Shootout 2V NA Champion
Recent Pic from Moroso

Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote