MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-20-2002, 02:01 PM   #1
wantapony2001
Registered Member

Question What would/could you do with 850$ ?

ok im ready to start doin some mods on my 99 gt , ive did a k&n filter and limo tints thats it, i was thinkin with this money i just ran into i should do an exhaust setup, but they dont seem to make the flowmaster american thunder system for 99gt's , and i dont wanna go with 3 chamber flows, any help there? i really want exhaust before i start doin gears and stuff, thanks
wantapony2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Question you need to ask yourself:
Do I want sound or performance?

Recommended mods:
Gears... 3.73 or 4.10....
H or X-pipe....

the stock cat-back exhaust on the 99s and up aren't very restrictive....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 02:38 PM   #3
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Default Re: What would/could you do with 850$ ?

In your sig, you state:
Quote:
Originally posted by wantapony2001
i might have to sell my car , i just lost my job : (
Lets see, you just came into $850 and you want to know what to do with it? You want a new exhaust system on your car? And, you're out of work?

Seems the obivious thing to do with it, is put it in the bank. You sure as heck can't eat that new exhaust system while being unemployed and walking the streets looking for a job.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 03:01 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

I would go with some Ultraflows.

Then maybe pulleys and or gears. Don't really know how far the money left after mufflers will get you, haven't modded my car yet.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 03:09 PM   #5
wantapony2001
Registered Member

nah i got a job, a pretty good one too! i just have an extra 850-900$ layin around burinin a hole in my pocket
Old 08-20-2002, 03:11 PM   #6
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Quote:
nah i got a job, a pretty good one too! i just have an extra 850-900$ layin around burinin a hole in my pocket
Maybe you should update your sig?
Old 08-20-2002, 03:13 PM   #7
Titan
Registered Member

Hey man, I was in the exact same boat you're in now...I wanted the sound first--just had to have that throaty v-8 sound....WRONG. Trust me man, if you have $ 500, shop around, gears SHOULD be FIRST, trust me. And if you have $850 like you said, you can probably get gears and exhaust. I only paid $175 for my mufflers, but I didn't get the cat back system. I know you don't want to do gears first, but if you want performance, slap some 4.10's on that beast....it really opens up those autos...

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 03:20 PM   #8
wantapony2001
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maroon 5.0 LX

Maybe you should update your sig?

maybe you should stop reading peoples signatures like they are quotes from the bible...
Old 08-20-2002, 06:25 PM   #9
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

i have to agree with maroon you should keep your sig up to date it`s there to be read
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 07:00 PM   #10
SnakeDriver97
Registered Member

If you want to save some dinero...Mac or FlwMstrs (2 chmbr) would be my choice...if you want to spend about $600 on a cat back...I've heard some good things about Steeda's (I think it's made by Borla)
Old 08-20-2002, 07:57 PM   #11
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Quote:

maybe you should stop reading peoples signatures like they are quotes from the bible...
Well, wantapony2001, my response to your request was based partly on the statement in your the sig. I take people at their word.

If it was known you were gainfully employed, my response would have been entirely different. Sorry to have ruined your day!
Old 08-20-2002, 08:56 PM   #12
Titan
Registered Member

aight fellas...enough about the damn sig. $850 can take you a long way--if you know how to use it. Just shop around a little...hell, even check some local salvage yards. We have one down the street that only does mustangs. They auction parts off, you go take them off the car yourself. Who knows, maybe you can find a deal. I'd still stick w/ the gears. If you want a good price, go to:

http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=FRPP

They have the best deals on ALL ford racing junk. Got my gears for $150--that still leaves you $700+ for exhaust. But like I said, just my opinion (and I know, I did what you did first...exhaust before gears...)

Mods = Stuff
Old 08-21-2002, 01:22 AM   #13
apenn

Titan's definitely got the right idea with the gears. Here's my 2 cents. Definitely go with the gears (I just got mine done today, 3.73's) and they are GREAT. I was charged a total of $600 for everything, including the speedo calibrater. The gears were only $185, but everything else added up. Very noticeable improvement in performance. If you still want the sound of performance with those gears, for between $175 and $250 fully installed you can get a set of mufflers (not entire exhaust system) done. That way you'll have the great sound to go with the new performance with the gears. Later when you have the money you can then go with the complete exhaust system, and just continue to use the mufflers you already bought.

Now back to my new gears. I just had them done and I had to drive 150 miles home. The shop told me to take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles to try to keep the temperature down on them till they break in....no smokey burnouts and take a break after running on the highway for 45 minutes or so. Man was it tough to stay out of it! The rpm's increased very little on the highway for 5th gear, but definitely a very noticeable difference in passing power with 5th gear still. I really didn't have too much chance to jump on it in the lower gears, but I did one or two times and not too hard and I could tell there is was a very large difference there also. The car was so quiet on the highway I almost wish I more strongly considered 4.10's, but I think they would have cut into my top speed a little too much and made my lower gears useless for traction (I've got a SC and I have a very tough time with traction already on 3.27's).

Anyways, enough of my blathering. I think Titan and I have spent your $850's perfectly including installation. $600 for gears and about $200 for mufflers. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2002, 03:00 AM   #14
wantapony2001
Registered Member

400$$ for a gear install?? come on now, i keep seeing a quote of about 250-300$ on these forums, and im still deciding on hwo to spend this money, i was thinkin forget this stuff and let me throw in a decent stereo system, i dunno, still thinkin, but i want EXHaust titan!!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 07:33 AM   #15
apenn

I too was concerned about my quote of $600's when I had been seeing $400. I've never seen an exact break down on the cost but here is mine...$180 for the 3.73 gear, $100 for the speedo calibrator about $30 in smaller parts including pinnion seal, $275 labor. I think a lot of folks do not get the speedo work done and their readings are all wacked out on their spedometer and tach's. I've also read about the bargain installs and the resulting problems. Anyways, I had no problem spending $600 for a complete, very high quality install at a top of the line speed shop. I could have saved $400's by doing it myself, but then again I'd end up buying a complete new rearend, transmission and god know's what else to save that $400.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #16
Titan
Registered Member

Let me guess...you're about 17 and wish you had a Honda??? Why would you want to buy a performance car and install a stereo??? You sure you bought the right make/model....a civic si sounds more of your taste.

Mods = Stuff
Old 08-21-2002, 06:01 PM   #17
wantapony2001
Registered Member

um, im 22, and actually im a musician.....so music is very important to me, i love my car, i have just relized that i dont have to have the fastest car in the world cause someone elses will always be faster, so why not have a louder STEREO!!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 06:30 PM   #18
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
um, im 22, and actually im a musician.....so music is very important to me, i love my car, i have just relized that i dont have to have the fastest car in the world cause someone elses will always be faster, so why not have a louder STEREO!!!!
I hate to burst your bubble, but I know of one person for sure, and probably a half dozen more people here who have a stereo way louder than you can do for $850.

I know very few people who actually comment on people stereos in a positive manner. On the flip side, most people are impressed with a car that comes out of the hole well, even if it isn't the fastest.

Do what you want, but we're all about speed. If I wanted sound I'd have bought a Tarus wagon, way more room for subs in the back of that.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 06:33 PM   #19
SnakeDriver97
Registered Member

I too enjoy music and I sometimes feel that my Mach 460 is seriously underpowered.....I have thought about making a custom system in the trunk that could be easily pulled for those trips to track....r u from the city wantapony or upstate? I live near Buffalo.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:39 PM   #20
wantapony2001
Registered Member

no snakedriver im on long island, and why am i being flamed just because i want a stereo?? i dont get it, i want a fast car too, but going .10th of a second isnt worth 500-600$ yet, i would love 4.10's tho, but in due time i suppose , and duece, those people with there louder and more expensive stereos....whats your point, there cool right? but im not allowed to get a stereo cause its not cool ? u make no point