MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2002, 09:12 AM   #1
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Default Lets not get carried away...

In several posts I have been reading that H or X-pipes are going to add 20+hp on a stock car, etc. Lets not get too carried away here people. This board prides itself on having members that give info only when they know it's helpful and correct. Passing bad or misleading info doesn't help anyone.
Yes, while and aftermarket H- or X-pipe helps release some nice HP for the money, I find it very hard to believe to suddenly everyone is gaining 20+ hp. Its a great mod for sure, but we don't want memebers walking around telling others haw their Mustang suddenly has 280+ hp because they install a H-pipe on their stock 99GT. I am sure 20HP+ can be found on a stock exhuast, superchaged GT, but thats not the cars asking the questions here.
From dyno charts I have seen, they release anywhere from 6-12hp on a mostly stock car. And 12Hp is usually on the higher side.
I only used this specific application an example, its not meant to make any people feel bad in any way and what not. I just know that a lot of sh1t went down on another board because suddenly people had "300hp" cars with a set of mufflers, a cold air intake, and underdrive pulleys, and alot of great members left the site.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:49 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

I agree. You read the adds about a product that gave as much as 30 rwhp. You read the small print and it is like a 2002 Turbo diesel Truck that got that much. That does nothing for our mustangs that get like 6rwhp for the same product. People buy these products looking for these gains and do not get it and waste $200. I think adds need to be more specific.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:02 PM   #3
Titan
Registered Member

I don't think he had adds in mind when he wrote that thread...

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:13 PM   #4
Illini
Registered Member

Default totally agree

Well guys, you wouldn't believe this, but I just put some wd-40 on my acces. belt and it freed up like at least 10 hp. Or so it felt like. I think tonight I'm goin top off the brake light fluid and grease the antenna for better reception and less air resistance. I bet it would pick up .1 in the qtr. Maybe even put in new muffler bearings, the old ones are causing too much backpressure.
Like you I'm kinda gettin tired of all this magazine ad. hp sh1t. If I beleived what the ads say I'd have over 300 hp at the crank, riiiight. Hell you can't blame em, some people on here seek professional help to install underdrives pulleys, so how could they comprehend that the pulleys could never give them 15 ponies like the neat little ads says they do. Before the flamethrowers get broke out, usually the people that know very little about vehicle performance are the ones to spout off about how they gained "like" huge amounts of hp from some meager bolt-on.

DH
steeda underdrives, timing adjuster, triax, C&L maf, MM strut tower brace and k-member brace, Steeda subs weld-in, steeda tubular front sway bar, bullitt springs ,struts(tokico's)and shocks, bullitt gas door, alum.pedals, MM panhard Bar, cobra 13" front brake upgrade. ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRACK *****
66' 2 dr malibu;
355 cube 4-bolt main, steel crank, chevy pink rods, KB 10.7 to1 pistons, ported double humps 202&160, torkerII intake, rejetted holley 650 D.P., crane ignition box, comp.cam roller rockers& 280 degree cam, balanced to 8500 rpm, hooker super comps, 3000 rpm stall and built turbo 350 tranny. dynoed at 543hp and 582 tq
Illini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 02:07 PM   #5
GodStang
College Stanger

I know he meant people and not ads but I added to his statement.

If I went by ads or by what people say I would have about 200hp I bet I have no more than about 155-160hp
Old 09-09-2002, 02:25 PM   #6
The Deuce
Registered Member

Seems like this whole thing came about from an H-pipe hp number. The 96-98 gt's are terribly choked by the exhaust, so maybe we should get some actual dyno numbers to clear this up. My exhaust is stock, and if someone wants to pay for the dyno/h-pipe install I'll post some numbers.

There seems to be a deeper problem than this from the tone I'm reading in some of these posts.

Maybe its just because its Monday.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 02:46 PM   #7
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I have long ago given up on manufactures adsand their claimed HP gains.

"The 96-98 gt's are terribly choked by the exhaust..."
I think you mean terribly choked by small, bad flowing exhaust ports in the head. They are restricted no more then any other Mustang. In fact, since they have the same 2 1/4" setup that the the 99+GT's have, you would assume that the newer GT's have a more restricted setup since they have a higher output engine requiring more breathing.
I meant exactly what I said. Don't tell people they will gain 20-30peak HP on a stock GT from H-pipe and catback install. Thats it.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:18 PM   #8
The Deuce
Registered Member

I was under the impression that the cats flowed better on the newer cars. If they are the same then there is a LOT of bad information out there. I know my heads don't flow for crap, and I wouldn't tell anyone that they will pick up 9% more hp (20 on a a 215 motor) by changing one part.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:43 PM   #9
Illini
Registered Member

Default I guess you mean me, Duece

sorry, didn't know my tone was being monitored by the internet police. I just get phucking tired of people sounding like they are the last word in vehicle performance, when they wouldn't know the difference between a wrist pin and a sparkplug. If someone doesn't, thats fine but when they act like they do it just makes em look like pillow biters. Thats all I meant by my post, oh and the fact that mag ads take hp gains for liberty and always claim the highest gain even if it's from another application. Like Godstang said in the little print it's for another vehicle, but they lead you to think the gains are from a mustang, camaro, VW whatever, you get my point. And to reiterate I am very limited in my experience with mustangs, so don't make it sound like I think I know all. I know that a catback or even an offroad h,x-pipe will not give 20-30hp at the wheels on a naturally aspirated, mildly modded engine. MY .02 CENTS

DH

P.S. Monday has no effect on me I'm always a bastard.
steeda underdrives, timing adjuster, triax, C&L maf, MM strut tower brace and k-member brace, Steeda subs weld-in, steeda tubular front sway bar, bullitt springs ,struts(tokico's)and shocks, bullitt gas door, alum.pedals, MM panhard Bar, cobra 13" front brake upgrade. ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRACK *****
66' 2 dr malibu;
355 cube 4-bolt main, steel crank, chevy pink rods, KB 10.7 to1 pistons, ported double humps 202&160, torkerII intake, rejetted holley 650 D.P., crane ignition box, comp.cam roller rockers& 280 degree cam, balanced to 8500 rpm, hooker super comps, 3000 rpm stall and built turbo 350 tranny. dynoed at 543hp and 582 tq
Old 09-09-2002, 11:02 PM   #10
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Yes a h-pipe and cat-back can add 20hp. Considering that you are going from a 2 1/4" pipe with 6 cats, to a 2 1/2" pipe with no cats.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 01:30 AM   #11
The Deuce
Registered Member

All I'm saying is that some people got really mad about an honest mistake. Do we actually know what the net RWHP is for each specific mod? It's not like anyone is claiming 20 for a k&n. Well, maybe some Cobra guys.

Seems like you will see a big increase in flow from removing all those cats. Call me crazy, but if its not more than 6hp it ain't worth the effort.

Old 09-10-2002, 07:58 AM   #12
surfbeast
Registered Member

If we were all master mechs and had a dyno then we could settle all the questions on add-on HP gains. Also, every car is different and gets a different amount of gain/loss from each MOD. Of course a new car guy that just spent a bunch of money on a part wishes he got the max hp gain stated in the adds for the part, hell, what else does he have to go on? Should he tell his friends " I just spent $500 buck and got 5 rwhp! " ? Part of owning a performance car is having fun adding to it, that's why even the seasoned veterans that know these parts don't give stated results still use them. Give the average guy that don't know what he is getting a break! We all like to DREAM BIG! And when money is tight ( always ) 20HP sound a whole lot better than 6. If the new guys want to dillude themselves thinking they have 300+ Hp with a few bolt on let them, They will see what they really have when it matters and when they become more knowledgeable. If you don't like them saying that then teach them, don't rag them out!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:09 AM   #13
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
Call me crazy, but if its not more than 6hp it ain't worth the effort.
Get the H-pipe dude, it's worth a lot more than 6hp.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:24 AM   #14
Illini
Registered Member

Default yo surfbeast

I hope that you don't beleive that I think that I have 300 at the crank reread my first post. Notice the "riiiight" after the 300 hp sentence, that my friend is sarcasm. You know like in Austin Powers, Dr evil always said Riiight. I was kidding so don't go off saying Illini says he's got 300hp and start sh1t, cuase I never said it seriously. Hence the"riiiight" at the end of the sentence. Tireburner reread my post, you got confused. The way it is worded implies that a catback alone would not produce 20-30hp at the wheels, nor would a offroad pipe alone produce that result with a stock or mildly modded motor. Well the offroad pipe would help hp at higher revs, but the loss of backpressure would hurt you more in downlow tq, which is more important. Hell most catbacks are more for sound then power on stock or mild engines. Okay you might gain a couple ponies and that combined with the aggressive sound might make it worth while(not to me). But the better catbacks are usually 300-650 bucks. It's up to the cars owner what they want to do, not me, not you. I'm just saying I get tired of magazine, bench racers telling how they got super duper mega hp from a little mod that have naturally aspirated cars. Sermons over.

DH
66' 2 dr malibu;
Old 09-10-2002, 09:46 AM   #15
surfbeast
Registered Member

Default HEY ILLINI!

Who was starting SH*T with you?? My remark was to the original post not YOUR post reply. I think I know sarcasim, You obviously think your reply was more important than the original post issue. Typical from someone from Illinois! Now that is starting SH**!
Old 09-10-2002, 10:06 AM   #16
Titan
Registered Member

Easy boys...we all get the point. Opinions are opinions, and if I like something I'm gonna back it. Maybe I over-exaggerate on some things, but it's my opinion. If I like it and think it makes a difference, I'm probably going to recommend it...

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:35 AM   #17
Illini
Registered Member

Default Phuck, MY BAD!!!!!!!

WTF, I never said you started *****, I said don't, meaning in the future or in another post but I see you didn't pick up on that. And what the **** is wrong with Illinois, let me guess you pronounce the s at the end don't you? DON'T YOU???? Actually IL. just got a new zoo, we Fenced in Tenn!!! LOL, fvck take a joke. As far as post importance is concerned, who gives a fvck, I said what I wanted to, then people misunderstood parts of my post and I wanted to C-L-A-R-I-F-Y before I started to get flamed. Ease up off the drugs ***** man. Wheres Maryville at I show steers and show heifers at murpheysboro in March and sometimes at Memphis in sept. Actually I kinda like going down there, because I always smoke every exhibitor down there and they get pissed and start saying I cheat, try to protest, and ban me It's fun.
66' 2 dr malibu;
Old 09-10-2002, 10:45 AM   #18
surfbeast
Registered Member

Hey, a foul mouthed cow farmer, does it get any better?
Old 09-10-2002, 12:05 PM   #19
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

quotes from tireburner163...
"Stock: 260hp
Off-road h-pipe and cat-back: 280-285hp....."

Thats 20-25 PEAK HP you are claiming with an H or X pipe/catback setup.

"Yes a h-pipe and cat-back can add 20hp"

Yes, CAN, but not on a stock 99GT.

"Get the H-pipe dude, it's worth a lot more than 6hp."

Yeah, your right, thats 7 peak HP.
Bullitt Prochamber dyno

Again, I agree that an H or X-pipe is a great mod, but I don't think you will have 285HP with that and a 3-5 peak HP cat-back.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:16 PM   #20
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

My buddy picked up 20RWHP with Long tube headers, O/R X-pipe and a K&N on his 01' Cobra.

Dyno Proven.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote