MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-10-2002, 08:11 AM   #1
surfbeast
Registered Member

Default Tired Of It!

I'm sick and tired of all the 99 and up GT owners ragging on the 96 - 98 GT's. WE know the heads on the early MOD motors flow bad, we know the cars can be turds, but it is all we have. The purpose of the board is to help those who need help, and us 96 - 98ers need more than most. It would be the same if all the new 03 Cobra guys on here or Hammer was always saying, " the 99 up GTs are turds compared to my car, trade your POS in and get with the plan! ". Like my MOM always says, IF you don't have something good to say don't say anything at all.

SORRY , JUST HAD TO VENT!

P.S. - For all of you who don't know : 96 - 98 GT'S are Turds!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
Titan
Registered Member

I second that motion...I'm in school, so a $2 roll of nickels seems like a damn good tip for the pizza guy to me. Trust me, if I had the money, I would have a newer car. But I had to save all through high school, and then combine my graduation money to barely get my car. I know it's not the best, but I went from an '84 toyota 4x4 w/ a 2.0L engine and a top speed of 50 mph (and it took a 2 mile stretch, a downhill road, and a prayer to get that). I like the hell outta my car. I know it's not the best, but it gets my adrenaline going.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:39 AM   #3
Illini
Registered Member

Exclamation Hell, I third the motion

You know what my 02 is like in reverse compared to my 66 chevelle. But I didn't buy the mustang for accelleration, well ok a little. I wanted to have a car set up more for handling, the chevelle sucked at it, the mustangs are way cheaper to set up then a F-bod. But I know what you guys mean some newer mustang owners are a$s mongrels and think they are god. They're not, thats what the chevelle's for handing new car owners their asses (except that nitrous assisted 400 sbc luv truck, ouch I got raped hard). The car that got me turned on to stangs was a friend of mine's 97 black GT, me and her would go riding in it. He he, I said riding. Talk at you guys later

DH
steeda underdrives, timing adjuster, triax, C&L maf, MM strut tower brace and k-member brace, Steeda subs weld-in, steeda tubular front sway bar, bullitt springs ,struts(tokico's)and shocks, bullitt gas door, alum.pedals, MM panhard Bar, cobra 13" front brake upgrade. ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRACK *****
66' 2 dr malibu;
355 cube 4-bolt main, steel crank, chevy pink rods, KB 10.7 to1 pistons, ported double humps 202&160, torkerII intake, rejetted holley 650 D.P., crane ignition box, comp.cam roller rockers& 280 degree cam, balanced to 8500 rpm, hooker super comps, 3000 rpm stall and built turbo 350 tranny. dynoed at 543hp and 582 tq
Illini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:55 AM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

The Early Modulars Revolt!! hehe

Yes, the stock heads suck, but you know what?

I've always liked the look of the 94-98 body style A LOT more than the current models.

And with the horsepower to back it up, I wouldn't change my car for anything....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:57 AM   #5
The Deuce
Registered Member

I'm with Hammer. I much prefer the way my 97 looks to the 99. Heck, I could have bought a new car, I just wanted something reasonable quick, and you know what, its faster than all my friends cars too.

There is not a single thing about the 2003 cobra I could not do to my car. I could put that driveline in mine, and whoop some serious behind.

I may never sell this car, its so good looking that I think it will end up with the 65-66 while the angle ones fall with the 67-68.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:37 AM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

When I first bought my Vert I got spanked at the track every weekend for a year. Now my 88 vert is pretty fast.

Anything can be fast with enough cash, If I liked the 94-98 body style I would get a 5.0. Peoples taste are different.

I very rarely see any 96-98 stangs at the track. And when I do see them they are pissed cause they only run mid 15's.

Back in 96' I had an LT-1 fireturd and I enjoyed racing the new stangs.

I think the 96-98 cars can be pretty cool sleepers when they are suped up cause noone expects them to be fast. If I pulled up to Hammer at a light and didnt here the blower whine I would think I was gonna smoke him.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 01:56 PM   #7
GaryDawg
Registered Member

I could understand if there were more than just heads that made our cars "turds" but there isn't... Personally, I would be doing a head change eventually whether it's the '94-'98 or a '99+...

The guys that call our beautiful cars "turds" are the same guys that can't stand anyone on the road to be "hotter" than them...

I bought my pony in '99 and chose to purchase a new '98 over the '99 for looks alone... The heads can always be changed...

And whether I sink $10K into a '98 or a '99+... it's still going to kick a@@ either way...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 02:04 PM   #8
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

I think some of you guys take comments way to seriously. Nobody has gone out of their way to start a thread specifically bash the 96-98's, sure the comments come up in some posts and not everyone uses tach in delivering the info but really who cares. If you don't like it then do the work and prove them wrong, but fact still remains they came with less power and poorer flowing heads. Nothing you can do about what Ford offered in those years but improve upon it. It seems any time a comment comes up about the 96-98's all the 99-02 guys are targeted as biggots for saying something and the earlier guys ego gets bruised.

I don't exactly have a slow 4.6 but in some circles my car is considered a joke. At the track I get plenty of critism sometimes from the LS1 guys or the Cobra guys that look at my level of mods and say it's slow. Do I care? Sure to a point but not enough to let it bother me enough to get pissed off. The true racers out there appreciate my car for what it is just like a true Mustang enthusaist appreciates all years of Mustangs (except the 74-78's BLAH! ).

There are some LS1 guys, hardcore chevy guys, import guys, pushrod Mustang guys that look past the slicks and race seats on my car and realize that I've put lots and time and effort to get my car where it is with as little power mods as possible. Just like there are 99+ GT guys that can appreciate what some of the 96-98's guys have done even though they started off with a clear disadvantage. Do I feel bad for you? Not at all you made your choice in car just like I did over the 99 cobra. Fact is we all have what we want and will always mod and have fun with them.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 02:29 PM   #9
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

It seems like your car is running damn good fgor your mods. IMO
Old 09-10-2002, 03:18 PM   #10
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

i have to agree we all own mustangs some have older and some have newer i hved a 98 gt and even though it`s almost as fast as a stock 99+ with my mods i don`t like people ragging on them .what were we all supposed to do wait years in the hope the engine made more power before we bought one. i1m a mustang addict i couldn`t stand withdrawls for that long
so lets all play nice were all family here
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 08:26 PM   #11
coolie1
Registered Member

it seems to me most of u older stang owners post asking 4 help how to make ur cars faster
coolie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 08:37 PM   #12
SnakeDriver97
Registered Member

Default ALL IN THE FAMILY

now lets not start a gen. war...as badass said "were all family here"....I will admit, though, that I do have a few 99+ GT's under my belt
Old 09-11-2002, 10:13 PM   #13
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

96-98's are turds

hehe.....little humor there

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:57 AM   #14
southernstang97

Smile

ok ,

I have a 97 and have done alot to her and I am just as fast as a stock 99GT( this is with out the blower installed , that being put on soon) . And since its a 97 I had to make up the horse's that came stock on a 99' , so in my mind my car is faster , with the mods I have done I made up for 40+ horse's , so thats not bad. I have raced 99gt's before and I am right there with them , no one pulling on no one ..... so since I did not have to pay as much as the 99+ gt owners did, I feel that I am ahead of the game !!!! And when I get my blower on the car i really feel for them,,

But like what was said before , I was not going to wait til ford bumped up the horse power to get my car , and to me the newer stang's just don't look right !! But bottom line if you don;t like my car , OH WELL you don't pay the payments !

Also like what was also said above , all that needs to be done to a stock 96 to 98 to have more power than a 99+ gt's is just a head swap . 96 to 98Gt will make more power just with the head swap , so its not like there out of reach by no means ~~~!!!

And i really will feel for them when I port the 98 heads I got at the house , yes I know you going to say get the 99 pi heads , but with a blower on my car I can not put the 99 heads , p/p the 98 heads and put the blower back on and my everyday driver will be more than I can use.

I think people mix up a track car and a daily driver , I don't need more than 350 to 400 to the ground , if my 97 was a track car then maybe I could see doing all the goodies ..... but as it stands today I can run most cars on the street and then again there some out there that can run mine ,,,, but they don't look as good , hehehehehe
Old 09-12-2002, 12:19 PM   #15
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Do you have any track times? Or are you going by the butt dyno.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:03 PM   #16
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by southernstang97
I have a 97 and have done alot to her and I am just as fast as a stock 99GT
You're comparing a modified 97 GT to a stock 99 GT, do you think that the newer guys can't afford to mod their cars and leave them alone?

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 06:20 PM   #17
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I personally don't see why this is such an issue...

The 99+ GTs are faster in a stock configuration than the 96-98... so what?

You ever seen the difference between an 83 GT and an 88 GT?

If you're into cars and racing, it's run what you brung.... and some people bring more than others.....

I could care less that some cars went faster than mine when it was stock when I'm picking up my time slip with "WIN" at the top of it...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:45 PM   #18
The Deuce
Registered Member

I don't care that my car is slower than a new one.

It still pulls chicks.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:12 PM   #19
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
I don't care that my car is slower than a new one.

It still pulls chicks.
I new I could count on you to chime in with something I would agree with
Old 09-12-2002, 10:15 PM   #20
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
I personally don't see why this is such an issue...

The 99+ GTs are faster in a stock configuration than the 96-98... so what?

You ever seen the difference between an 83 GT and an 88 GT?

If you're into cars and racing, it's run what you brung.... and some people bring more than others.....

I could care less that some cars went faster than mine when it was stock when I'm picking up my time slip with "WIN" at the top of it...
Amen!!
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote