MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-27-2002, 12:03 AM   #1
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Unhappy 03 Cobra Incident...

Well, its official...
The SVT Mustang tech thread has made Modular Madness the most infamous Mustang Forum on the internet.

I saw that post yesterday and I guess I just didn't realize just how WRONG what this guy did was....

I actually just skimmed over the post... yadda, yadda, joyride, yadda yadda, 03 Cobra.... and my response was : "Glad you had fun!"... What the hell was I thinking?!

I totally missed that he had the damn thing to 140, and how the hell did I miss the realisation that he posted the damn LICENSE PLATE! And that this could get pretty ugly....

and guess what... it did....

Later on in the thread I did post that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to do something like that, but it doesn't excuse my first response to the post or my inaction to it....
----------------------

Quote:
Well, stangman....
Looks like you might want to consider the other side of things before you joyride....
Although I must admit its REALLY tempting, I can see where I'd be pissed if a mechanic did that with the yellow beastie...
-------------------------

Now MW is back up with a slow message board.... Dan is going through hell, and I just might be out of a moderator position. I certainly failed in this little fiasco....

I personally feel like crap....

I'll ask Dan to see if he wants me to keep the post or delete it, something this hot, I'm not going to decide this one on my own....

Poor Todd,
If you are still with us, while I certainly can't speak for the entire staff, let me personally apologise for how this was handled, or rather, not handled correctly. I also apologise for my early statements in the thread, as I certainly wouldn't want anyone "manhandling" my car but me.... I certainly understand your disgust and frustration.

What stangman did was wrong any way you slice it, and I'm sure none of our members or staff condone it (including myself).

This is a very good community we have here, and I hope this incident doesn't change anything in that respect...

As far as folks who clicked on this thread to jump in on this incident, let me state that we are VERY friendly folks here who get along great. In fact, I can't ever remember a flame war before this one....

If your new, I REALLY hope you stay and contribute to the group. I think you'll find that we have a very wide knowledge base and helpful people.

You won't ever see that change while I'm still moderator.

For all you new folks, I hope you stay.
I think you'll find that the "most infamous" forum on the net is a pretty nice place to be.

Adam "Hammer" Packett
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:22 AM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I don't think anybody has really accused the Mustangworks of harboring some concentration of jerks cheering stangman96 on.

What he did was seriously stupid, even if it wasn't on public roads, and most of us who take more than a couple seconds to think about it agree. Just about every Mustang enthusiast gets excited thinking about having a chance to run an 03 Cobra up, but it doesn't mean we'd do the same thing stangman did.

All things considered, I hardly think this has been some sort of fiasco, and at the very least, an outpouring of support from people across all interests in the automotive world have come here to lend support to the owner, and to let everybody know we feel the same way about our cars.

Don't mess with our cars! We work hard to buy, build, and maintain them. I'm actually quite pleased with the number of responses from people taking the time to drop in from other sites like sportbikes, honda sites, vw sites, bmw sites, and the rest.

Dan's got an extra server hooked up running dual processors to deal with the traffic. If he didn't believe it was worthwhile, he could have just had the thread completely deleted or forbidden remote access linking.

Everybody misses things from time to time when you're in a hurry. I can imagine you can empathize with the owner as well as anybody, considering you have a supercharged 450hp Mustang GT that means the world to you. Having somebody thrash your ride would have you freaking out so I can't see you agreeing with the 03 Cobra getting that treatment, either.

Check ya later.

Kell
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:30 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

What Kell said...

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:47 AM   #4
RBatson
Registered Member

I think the thread proved very useful. I'm glad the owners got to see this thread. I wish I could have proof like this when someone did this to a vehicle I owned. I can't understand how someone could abuse another's property, I'm just glad that someone is finally answering for thier actions. I hope this makes the dealerships/mechanics think alittle more when handling a customers vehicle.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:49 AM   #5
SteveGT
Registered Member

Glad to see the forum back up...

Hammer, I was curious to see how you would respond to the attention that this post has received. And your initial replies to the thread.

I have to admit, the way several members on this board responded was shocking. Another board that I belong to, stlmustangs.com, noted that other members on this site found the tech's encounter exciting, and acceptable. Makes ALL mw members looks bad. To those of you who are being referred to, you know who you are, and you've been insulted enough.

Thanks for the seperate thread, hope to get back to business as usual after everyone gets to say their piece...

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra Coupe
K&N Air Filter w/ sliencer removed
10" MTX sub with Kenwood amp & Mach 460

On the way:
4 lb. blower pulley & belt
Bassani X-pipe, Undecided on Muffs

Last edited by SteveGT; 09-27-2002 at 01:13 AM..
SteveGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:49 AM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Just an idiot, that guy.
I agree with you Unit, took the words out of my mouth.

I can't imagine the $$$ for bandwidth Dan will have to pay this month!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2002, 12:55 AM   #7
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveGT

I have to admit, the way several members on this board responded was shocking. Another board that I belong to, stlmustangs.com, noted that other members on this site found the tech's encounter exciting, and acceptable. Makes ALL mw members looks bad. To those of you who are being referred to, you know who you are, and you've been insulted enough.

Btw I hope that that is not the concensus of the people out there, do not generalize on what a few people said!
Old 09-27-2002, 12:58 AM   #8
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

hammer i back you, i didnt get to read the thread, but it sound's like this guy was truley - uh, stupid, your a good mod, so i hope that doesnt change, good luck to you bud.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 01:03 AM   #9
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

I'm glad this site is back up. I have to thank Chris for his site at RHC for keeping me sane. If I don't post somewhere once a day, I start to lose it. I feel bad for Dan and trying to keep the site up. I bet it fried some things in his server. I also bet he's now looking for a new hard drive to save all this mess.

What he did was wrong and he should have gotten permision to drive it like that first. The most it should ever have seen was 100mph. Although it can get to that in about 11 sec, but still, no right to do what he did. I understand the urge to drive it, but not like that. His little voice in his head didn't say to stop when it should have. I can bet that he will never find another mechanics job for a very long time now. IF a mech ever needed to go or do something like that. I'd want to be in it, or al least have him ask. Thats my .02
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 01:13 AM   #10
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
I have to admit, the way several members on this board responded was shocking. Another board that I belong to, stlmustangs.com, noted that other members on this site found the tech's encounter exciting, and acceptable. Makes ALL mw members looks bad.
Hmmm, I can understand how the encounter would be exciting (03 Cobra, Open Road), but EXTREMELY unacceptable all the same.

Once I really realised what stangman had done (and to the extent he did it), I visualised him behind the wheel of my yellow beastie, and it put shivers down my spine. Hence my comment of considering the "other side of things" (the owner), before doing something as crazy as that.

As far as making MW members look bad, your right.
This is NOT the image that I've strived to give this board, and to be honest, we were well on our way to becoming THE place to confer when looking for modular info. For no BS information and friendly people. I just hope we can get back on track soon.....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 01:35 AM   #11
The Deuce
Registered Member

Adam,
I reread my first reply to the thread and while I scolded him for beating on the car, I threw in the 'glad you had fun' tag at the end. I had forgotten I said that, and I'm torn about it. If I do something stupid to lose my job tomorrow, I hope I at least get some satisfaction out of it. Not that I will, or want to.

I haven't been to that thead since the board got back up, but I assume the plate number has been removed. I hope Tracy (the owner) and Dan (our Dan) don't hold it against you that the plate was left up. Turns out to actually be useful in proving whose car it acutally was, and holding the tech and dealer responsible.

Additionally, the early arguing between two of the members kept the thread up at the top, where it was easily found by people who knew the car. So while that kind of thing is annoying, maybe it helped this time in some weird way?
-----

As for what happened in general, the MW is now known across the net. Next time one of ours accepts a prize at Corrall day wearing the shirt, people will know who we are.

I hope things will get back to normal soon. Personally, I like it a little quiet around here.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 02:03 AM   #12
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

As for what happened in general, the MW is now known across the net. Next time one of ours accepts a prize at Corrall day wearing the shirt, people will know who we are.

I hope things will get back to normal soon. Personally, I like it a little quiet around here. [/B][/QUOTE]

Me too, but I'm sure Dan likes the extra ppl. Means extra money
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 05:46 AM   #13
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Well I couldn't finish reading everything. What a HUGE amount of information on the subject! WOW!

I know Hammer completely disaproves of this guys actions. I would like to say that if ANYONE jumped into Hammer's Yellow Jacket and treated it that way, my friend Adam would be in prison, because he'd kill the guy. That being said it can be hard at first to see where threads are going right away. I think Hammer does a great job on this forum and is a true "defender of the 4.6" modular motor.

Good job Duece and Tireburner for giving that guy sh*t from the start, you did a good job, and spoke for most of us while I couldn't get into the dam site

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 07:08 AM   #14
surfbeast
Registered Member

When I read the original post i thought OK this guy is FOS and is just wanting to brag about his " fake " experience behind the wheel of the baddest car going. There are alot of threads that are fake when it comes to issues like this. Unfortuneatly this one seems to have been true. That guy should be in jail!

Hammer, you are still " THE MAN"
Old 09-27-2002, 09:40 AM   #15
ylw99vert
Registered Member

Hammer,
I don't think anyone holds anything against you or your board. Alot of the members were against what this guy did with only a couple jackasses saying what he did was ok and that they would have done the same.
I know Racerat and Todd and those cars are kept in top shape.
That car is their pride and joy.
I was sickened when I read that post and I can only imagine how Racerat and Todd felt.
The tech got what he deserved.
Kudo's to you guys for keeping the post up for all to see, it's amazing the responce it has gotten from forums and enthusiasts from around the world.
Very cool indeed.
Rich

BTW...98's ARE slowwwww!!!!!!
450...not bad...Your getting there!!
ylw99vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:45 AM   #16
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Hammer, I back you all the way....

Dan , if you are reading this then I say let Hammer keep his position..... and I think that the rest of the Mod guys feel the same way..

Hammer has always shown himself to be just and fair when it comes to moderating. He's human just like the rest of us, and will make mistakes from time to time. I think that the plate number helped lead the owners to verify which car was being talked about and gave them hard proof...

I for one am ashamed of what he (ford tech) did, and it makes us all look bad because of it.. I think his accout should be suspended until he decides to publicly appologize.... unless he's been thrown in jaill...

Anyways,,,, I'm with you on this.....

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:55 AM   #17
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Hammer: I have to admit, I was shocked by your initial replies. Maybe it just didn't sink in at first? Regardless, you put this thread up and that shows alot about you. I applaud you for that.

Hey, you wouldn't mind if I took Yellowjacket up to 140 mph would you? I mean, I've just got to make sure the blower's working ok...

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 11:52 AM   #18
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Hammer - you, nor I, nor anyone in this world is perfect. In fact, most everyone is far from it.
All you did was read the post, made a quick reply, and then think nothing of it. I know for a fact nobody thought that post would reach the as far into the depths of the automaotive world that it did. No one could have knew it would be getting 1000+ hits every 10 minutes.
OK, so you didn't originally read the post with as much careful examination as some would have like, nor did you put much thought into your initial response. Thats totally fine!!! Its a post on a car forum, not a Bill for the Senate!!!
I for one am tired of everyone acting like they are so damn Politically Correct and they never say anything that might offend some else. Enough of this goody goody sh1t. Everyone has opinions that others won't agree with and most people are just to big of pussies to say so. You made a remark, then re-examined your remark, and made changes to they way you initially responded. Thats perfectly human and if you get punished for that, then this site is nothing but BS.
If you lose your job as moderator I feel all of MW members will be losing out. I have been a member of this site for 3 years now and I have nothing but positive comments to say about it. But if Dan thinks that it was such a big "mistake" that you should no longer moderate, then this site will be just like all the others.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:41 PM   #19
GaryDawg
Registered Member

I hate to tell you "I told you so..." but I did PM you (Hammer) very early in this thread to warn you of what this was becomming...

I am a moderator at another very popular NON-automotive board and another mod there mentioned this thread being linked to at another automotive (non-ford) board... the crap hit the fan and now any of us are lucky we can post or even view this board. This post probably won't even get through because of this...

I like you Hammer and I like Mustang Works because we don't have the children flame fests here. This thread needed to be locked up early... and it amazes me that it is still not locked up... This board will suffer until it is...

Welcome to the internet...

Keep up the good work...

P.S. Deleting the thread completely would probably solve your bandwidth problems and things could get back to normal...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:54 PM   #20
GaryDawg
Registered Member

P.S.S. Hammer is the best and should not be held responsible for this...

If he goes... I go...

Leave Hammer alone and let him learn from the trials of the internet... Mustang Works is a good board and needs more people like Hammer...

And I love Yellowjacket...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote