MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-20-2003, 11:14 PM   #1
Redstang96
Registered Member

Default nitrous?

I need some help.I have a 96 gt with a k+n,flowmaster 2 chambers,and a mac offroad h-pipe.In the spring im puttin in some 3.73's.I want more power and am considering nitrous.I have 93,000 on the clock,It runs great and has been well taken care of.the high mileage nags at my brain but do u think its safe for a 100 hp shot?How about kits?I was checkin out the zex kits and the holly noszzle kits,the zex is in my price range.i want to know what u guys thought.Maybe some of you had good luck with another kit.basically im lookin for a safe easy install.any help id appreciate!!
Redstang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:33 AM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Hey Redstang:

Try calling someone like "Sacremento Mustang" for advice...they should be able to help. There are a lot of options with NOS. Besides different systems, there are many different ways to get the NOS into your intake. You really should spend some time educating yourself as much as possible on all the options by reading MMFF mag and other sources.

You know, NOS gets a bad rap for being hard on motors, but if you think about it, a turbo or supercharger is always running on a car...NOS only gets used infrequently. From what I have read, if you set up your car properly, and don't abuse the NOS, 100 hp is probably the safe max limit.

Hope this helps.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:39 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I didnt think you could spray a 96 GT cause of the plastic intake.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
I didnt think you could spray a 96 GT cause of the plastic intake.
yes you can spray a 96+ gt even with the plastic intake you just need a window switch when using a wet ket that way you dont blow the manifold sky high

I would go with a N.O.S nozzle kit if you have the money or a NX wet kit but thats just me I dont like dry kits

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:35 AM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

You maight can spray it a few times but the damn intake melts after a while I seen one last night and it was ugly
Old 12-23-2003, 02:08 PM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
You maight can spray it a few times but the damn intake melts after a while I seen one last night and it was ugly
they dont melt from nitrous that is bs if the intake melted the guy had other problems

and how is the maniold going to melt from something thats cools the incoming air? but a supercharger will not when they heat up the air

do you know how many people run the spray on the plastic lower with no problems the people that screw them up is from drive/install error and not having the proper saftey stuff for the system that they are using

with that in mind as far as maniflods are the case the old 5.0 would kill alot more stuff from a n2o backfire(intake manifold,t/b and mass air meter) buit they have been doin it for years

nirtous does not blow up cars the user does so please dont spread this B.S

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 12-23-2003, 02:23 PM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Like I said phuck stick!............I seen a melted intake last night from a 96 GT. Where the upper meets the lower it was melted to where it would no longer seal.

This was done with an 80 shot NOS kit over a period of 6-8 bottles of N20.

The car had no other additional mods.

Hold your opinions in one hand and the melted intake I seen in the other and tell me wich one is heavier.

BTW: after the intake was replaced the car ran like a champ, so no there were no other problems.

I wouldnt run nitrous if I had the comp polymers box upper intake for the same reason.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #8
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Like I said phuck stick!............I seen a melted intake last night from a 96 GT. Where the upper meets the lower it was melted to where it would no longer seal.

This was done with an 80 shot NOS kit over a period of 6-8 bottles of N20.

The car had no other additional mods.

Hold your opinions in one hand and the melted intake I seen in the other and tell me wich one is heavier.

BTW: after the intake was replaced the car ran like a champ, so no there were no other problems.

I wouldnt run nitrous if I had the comp polymers box upper intake for the same reason.
go any other board and tell that to people and you will get flamed right off

and if he is using nos kit then its a dry kit tell me how would a dry kit do anything but lower the temps of the manifold

I was not flaming you I just feel you dont enough on the subject to be saying so of what you said and theres no need for the name calling just because you are WRONG

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 12-23-2003, 03:25 PM   #9
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Now...now...it's the holidays. If you are going to fight, then fight nice.

NOS and fuel can pool in the intake. This can cause ignition over the intake and create heat...thus melting any plastic. In my opinion, this is the most likely cause. This is why some NOS systems are injected directly into each cylinder to avoid this problem. There are proper ways to setup NOS to avoid the pooling problem, but I do not know the details.

Hope this helps.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:58 PM   #10
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Well merry Christmas and stuff.

I was simply stating what I saw wich was a melted intake. So no I wasnt wrong I was giving a heads up on what I seen.

I could care less what thew 96+ 4.6 can and cant handle I trade off my POS cobra and need to update my signature.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:41 PM   #11
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
Now...now...it's the holidays. If you are going to fight, then fight nice.

NOS and fuel can pool in the intake. This can cause ignition over the intake and create heat...thus melting any plastic. In my opinion, this is the most likely cause. This is why some NOS systems are injected directly into each cylinder to avoid this problem. There are proper ways to setup NOS to avoid the pooling problem, but I do not know the details.

Hope this helps.
I agree with the puddling but wneh that happens it cause a back fire which in turn blows a hole in the intake manifold

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 12-23-2003, 07:46 PM   #12
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Well merry Christmas and stuff.

I was simply stating what I saw wich was a melted intake. So no I wasnt wrong I was giving a heads up on what I seen.

I could care less what thew 96+ 4.6 can and cant handle I trade off my POS cobra and need to update my signature.
think about it you said it was where the upper meets the lower but if it was cause by puddling then it would near the bottom of the manifold plus it was stated it was with a nos kit which dry kit(ex the nozzle kit) so there would be no fuel in the manifold to cause puddling and with just nirtous flowing throught the intake would cause the incoming air temps to go down not up

for the last 10 years of dealing with nitrous and using it this is the first I have ever heard of a melted intake manifold cause by n2o now if you said it was blown apart that I have seen thats where the safety stuff comes into play

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 12-23-2003, 07:49 PM   #13
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:

well thats good for you but you think a 4.6 is a pos then you really dont know enough to help guys with the 4.6 motors you should to what you know and from you sig thats the 5.0s

not trying to flame

cause there is no need to fight on the net that can be saved for the ricers and there messege boards

merry x-mas
tony

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 12-23-2003, 11:51 PM   #14
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by explicitone
well thats good for you but you think a 4.6 is a pos then you really dont know enough to help guys with the 4.6 motors you should to what you know and from you sig thats the 5.0s

not trying to flame

cause there is no need to fight on the net that can be saved for the ricers and there messege boards

merry x-mas
tony
Hey guys I will be the first one to say I really don't know much about 96+ mustangs but, a melted intake ....because of nitrous had to be a back fire. I agree with explicitone. Not to say that dark 50 did not see what he did, but understand that it was probably user error on the guy who melted his intake due to ignorance and not the nitrous kits fault. I wish I had a penny for every time someone messed up there car for stupid reasons, and blamed the nitrous kit, when in fact the owner never read the cautions in the manual! Then the nitrous kit gets a bad rap...BS....I have been playing with nitrous for over 10 years now and you should here the shyte people say they can do with these kits! As goes for dry kits...I have never had problem with them. Not as strong as a wet kit but, safe for the efi cars and newer. (its a trade off)
Thats my two cents..
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 12:19 AM   #15
oohsoobad2
Registered Member

Default Nitrous

I ran a 100 hp shot all summer and had no problems with the intake. A nitrous backfire will damage any manifold plastic or not.... Replacement stock intakes are around $200
oohsoobad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 12:23 AM   #16
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: Nitrous

Quote:
Originally posted by oohsoobad2
I ran a 100 hp shot all summer and had no problems with the intake. A nitrous backfire will damage any manifold plastic or not.... Replacement stock intakes are around $200
See....told ya
Old 12-24-2003, 10:33 AM   #17
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Nitrous

Quote:
Originally posted by oohsoobad2
I never claimed you couldnt/shouldnt run it on a 99GT.

I seen a 90 coupe have a backfire where it shot out throttle body so hard that it pushed the passenger side fender out about 1/2 an inch. Yet his GT-40 intke was unscaved.

Everyone will eventually run into a problem running nitrous no matter how safe you try to be. Knowing that I personally wouldnt want a big chunk of plastic sitting on top of my engine.

If you were to spend the extra cash for a really safe system and purchase the remote bottle opener, Heater, purge etc... You could have bought a supercharger for the same money.

JMO,
Old 12-24-2003, 11:16 AM   #18
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Nitrous

Quote:

Everyone will eventually run into a problem running nitrous no matter how safe you try to be.
JMO,
Problem you say...well lets just say ALL POWER ADDERS will have problems sooner or later, not just nitrous. I have had more problems with blowers, and turbos then I ever had with nitrous.

Now...this could start a new thread about what is better, nitrous, blowers or turbos, but simply put they all have there pros and cons. The owner has to determine what he/she wants to live with.
I have had nitrous kits, and blowers on my car. I had a friend with a twin turbo set-up. They all make power. It's your cup of tea, you decide what you want. It's only natural to hate something that you dont have a true understanding for. Don't get me wrong...I have had people talk alot of shyte about nitrous until I put it on there car and tuned it. Now there're nitrous
junkies.
You don't have to have all the safety equipment to be safe because, if your still ignorant you're still going to break stuff. And that goes with everthing! It's not just prejudice to nitrous!

By the way, I am spraying my car with a 200-250 shot and it cost me a total of $1,200. That includes it's own fuel delivery system (seperate from the engine side) and all of the saftey stuff that I need. You tell me what what blower or turbo that I could get that will make the that much power for that much money. I can easily make that power with a blower and turbo but I will spend at least another $ 4,000.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:20 AM   #19
explicitone
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Nitrous

Quote:
I never claimed you couldnt/shouldnt run it on a 99GT.

I seen a 90 coupe have a backfire where it shot out throttle body so hard that it pushed the passenger side fender out about 1/2 an inch. Yet his GT-40 intke was unscaved.

Everyone will eventually run into a problem running nitrous no matter how safe you try to be. Knowing that I personally wouldnt want a big chunk of plastic sitting on top of my engine.

If you were to spend the extra cash for a really safe system and purchase the remote bottle opener, Heater, purge etc... You could have bought a supercharger for the same money.

JMO,
think of it this way the plastic manifold it weaker yes butbut when a nitrous back fire happens just the manifold is toast(200$)
but with the old 5.0 you could(not always) lose the manifold,t/b,maf and filter

I have seen a 5.0 have a nitrous back fire and it blew the upper manifold through the hood and the same time taking out the fuel rails and lines cause one hell of a fire

I dont know where you can get a blower for a 96+ for 1-2g with all the things that need to go with it

nx kit with genx 2 upgrade plus all the safety stuff will cost alittle over a grand

nos nozzle kit with all the add ons would hit you for about 2300$

supercharger kit 3400-3800
maf 300
dyno tuning (cause anyone running the chip that came with the kit is asking for a new motor)500+
boost and fuel pressure gauges 300(fuel elec is almost 200)

and fuel injectors 400
thats a total of4900$
and if you stay with the chip the comes with the kit add 2999-3999
for total minus the dyno tuned chip 7400
just run in the low 12s high 11s
with 7400 I could have my car running 10s easy

buts thats just me

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 12-24-2003, 12:31 PM   #20
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Nitrous

Quote:
Originally posted by 420nitro
Problem you say...well lets just say ALL POWER ADDERS will have problems sooner or later, not just nitrous. I have had more problems with blowers, and turbos then I ever had with nitrous.

Now...this could start a new thread about what is better, nitrous, blowers or turbos, but simply put they all have there pros and cons. The owner has to determine what he/she wants to live with.
I have had nitrous kits, and blowers on my car. I had a friend with a twin turbo set-up. They all make power. It's your cup of tea, you decide what you want. It's only natural to hate something that you dont have a true understanding for. Don't get me wrong...I have had people talk alot of shyte about nitrous until I put it on there car and tuned it. Now there're nitrous
junkies.
You don't have to have all the safety equipment to be safe because, if your still ignorant you're still going to break stuff. And that goes with everthing! It's not just prejudice to nitrous!

By the way, I am spraying my car with a 200-250 shot and it cost me a total of $1,200. That includes it's own fuel delivery system (seperate from the engine side) and all of the saftey stuff that I need. You tell me what what blower or turbo that I could get that will make the that much power for that much money. I can easily make that power with a blower and turbo but I will spend at least another $ 4,000.
I was trying to limit the discussion to nitrous but yeah all power adders have there draw backs.

I helped a friend hook up a vortech SQ trim blower to his 5.0. His timing retard box wasnt working right and he destroyed a set of aluminum heads and his block in 3 days.