MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-04-2004, 09:44 AM   #1
stacy's stang
Registered Member

Default Bassani- opinions welcomed

I have an '03 GT. My husband has an '04 Mach 1. He just put flowmasters on his (2 chamber). I was not impressed and want something much louder and deeper. So I went to straight pipes yesterday and I must admit, that is too loud for even me. After listening to the sound clips for mustang exhaust, I think I've decided on the Bassani muffler. I read in another thread about problems with the catalytic converters. What kind of problems?
stacy's stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Stacy:

I really can't answer your question, but I have heard very positive things about Bassani, if that helps. Also, check out SLP. They make an awsome sounding "muffler-less" exhaust for the stang..you may really like it. The entire system runs less than $400 I belive. sure, more than mufflers only, but cheap compared to others.

I am curious, though, what did you not like specifically about the FMs. Can you describe the sound?

Thanks.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
stacy's stang
Registered Member

The FMs just sounded too tame for me. It is just like it was supposed to sound and my husband loves it. We are complete opposites though and I like louder more flashy style and sound. I didn't see a sound byte for slp. I'll have to research that. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Stacy:

Scroll down about 18 threads and you will see one called "SLP Exhaust". If you open it, you will find a post that I left with a link to an SLP Exhaust sound clip on a Mustang.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 01-04-2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Titan
Registered Member

I don't know how long your husband's exhaust has been on, but flows get much louder as they age. The start out much quieter than say, 3k miles later. You could also get a different x or h pipe and that would increase noise and add top end power.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 04:54 PM   #6
stacy's stang
Registered Member

I like both the Bassani and SLP, the SLP a little more plus the price is better. I'll see which I can get locally Monday and try to get it done by the weekend.
I'm getting my Boss decals Thursday so I'll be all set by Saturday. Then I'll be ready to check into joining the local Mustang club.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
gtjeremy
Registered Member

there is no problem with cats and mufflers. If you want to be safe, go with a h pr x pipe w/ cats, or just remove two of them. i first had two cats removed into dumped flows, then went to an off road h. the two cats sounded extemely loud, but it made a really annoying vibration and fumes.
gtjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
StangFlyer
Founder

I have a full Bassani system on on Lightning and it sounds great. It's a very nice system.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 06:27 AM   #9
stacy's stang
Registered Member

I have the bassani mufflers on order and they will arrive Saturday. My Boss decals are being put on today. I can't wait. My husband says he'll still be able to blow my doors off in his Mach 1, but I'll still be looking good!
Old 01-08-2004, 05:54 PM   #10
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Wow! Good luck with the Bassani's...I am sure you will love them. $200 a piece just seems a lot for a muffler.

BTW, my wife could not give a rat's rear end how fast the car goes, just that she looks good in it...especially with the top down (not hers, the car's).

Tell your husband that you don't need to drive as fast as him because all the guys on the road slow down and get out of the way just to check you out (lol). That sounds like something my wife would say.

Seriously, though, a wife that's into Mustangs? If you are a sports fan too, you husband really has it made.

Where did you find your stripes? I want to put new ones on my car. I have a Black Vert with stupid black stripes on the hood. I would prefer to not have any, then to have black. I want to put the double stripe down the hood and on the trunk to match the tan top and interior. How do you think that would look? Has anyone ever seen a black stang with tan stripes? Did it look good?

My Stang:
Old 01-08-2004, 06:56 PM   #11
stacy's stang
Registered Member

Here's my decal photo. It came out a much brighter gold than I envisioned, but they tell me I'll get used to it.

Yes, I like football and there was a double header Braves game playing during the birth of my 1st and only child in the delivery room. So I guess that makes me a sports fan. Ha

I like the way you think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front boss.jpg (67.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #12
explicitone
Registered Member

I think bassani is over priced not much better then other brands

it all just comes down to what each person wants

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:11 PM   #13
stacy's stang
Registered Member

Okay, the Bassani's are on and they sound magnificent!!!! I'm so excited! I was so disappointed in my decal color that I've been depressed for 2 days, but this definately has perked things up for me. My husband and brother have talked me out of replacing the decals with a sandstone color to match the top of my convertible. You know how women are, we have to be color coordinated. He told me to paint my rims gold and not to worry about the rag top being beige. I have to decide by Monday before they cut the new ones. I want it to look really awesome and would rather fork out the money than settle with "it doesn't look that bad". I'll post a full picture tomorrow when the sun is up. Tell me what you think.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:27 PM   #14
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Stacy:

At the risk of having your husband hunt me down, go with a different decal. Gold wheels really frighten me and I think you wouldl be left with two things that don't match the top.

Gold wheels could work, or you could end up with a mess. I know you are proud of the car, so don't cover up a mistake...fix the problem.

My two cents!

Blake

My Stang:
Old 01-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #15
stacy's stang
Registered Member

Unhappy Decal color

Here's a better picture with the top included so you can see the difference in color. I think the gold wheels would be a bit over the top too. The reason my brother said not to change the stripes to the sandstone was because it would look like it was old and faded against the black. I think he's right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1110005.jpg (62.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #16
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Stacy:

Thanks for the photo. The car really looks great. I see now what your brother meant. I would have gone with the gold too initially. You know you could always go with a black top, but that seems that a waste of money. Has it grown on you yet?

Not to create more of a problem for you, but with those BOSS stickers, the MACH 1 grill opening and chin spoiler would probably look great. Then again, you do have a MACH 1 parked in the driveway.

Hey, isn't this fun?

My Stang:
Old 01-11-2004, 12:19 PM   #17
stacy's stang
Registered Member

It is starting to grow on me. I was just picking out some rims on tirerack.com The black bullit SVTs look great on the black convertible. That is my next project, but that will have to wait awhile. Yes, this is fun!
My husband hasn't actually said it out loud but I can tell he likes my mufflers better than his flows.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:26 PM   #18
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx

Where did you find your stripes? I want to put new ones on my car. I have a Black Vert with stupid black stripes on the hood. I would prefer to not have any, then to have black. I want to put the double stripe down the hood and on the trunk to match the tan top and interior. How do you think that would look? Has anyone ever seen a black stang with tan stripes? Did it look good? [/B]
My wife's 02 V6 has the tan stripes down the bottom above the rocker panel moldings, matches the tan interior, looks really good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000776.jpg (82.0 KB, 15 views)
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:31 AM   #19
stacy's stang
Registered Member

I'd love to see a photo of your wife's car. I cancelled my order for tan stripes because I was afraid they'd look faded against the black. A new convert. top is about $1000 so redoing the stripes would be a much more economical decision.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #20
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by stacy's stang
I'd love to see a photo of your wife's car. I cancelled my order for tan stripes because I was afraid they'd look faded against the black. A new convert. top is about $1000 so redoing the stripes would be a much more economical decision.
Stacy,
there is a picture posted on my first reply, but maybe not very good, this is a side view that shows the color better. It will match your top and interior perfectly, Ford calls the color parchment, this is the factory stripe. I wish I could match it for the bumper letter inserts on the back bumper, but the closest thing I have seen is gold and I think of the Trans Am in Smokey & the Bandit when I see black with gold, so I have held off. I think this is the best picture I have, my son took most of them.Harold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang 028.jpg (106.0 KB, 14 views)
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote