MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-10-2004, 12:29 PM   #21
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I installed my SLP Cat Back today. Holy crap! That thing sounds nice. Deep and loud. Sounds very high performance. It is going to take a little getting used to as I would like to turn the volume down about 20%, but I have a vert.

My daughter rode in the car today, and did not comment at all about the volume. She's only 7 but notices things.

You need to hear this exhaust...it is really something. Sound clips are not the same as in person.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 04:02 PM   #22
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Yeah.. I'm sure sound recordings dont do it justice.. but if you guys can get to it, I'd love to hear both your systems...

Thanks a bunch!
BBK long tubes, BBK h-pipe, MAC mufflers, K&N w/ silencer trimmed, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L plenum, Mobil1 synthetic fluids, FRPP aluminum drive shaft, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, FRPP 4.10's, 18x9 & 18x10 Saleens with Dunlop SP Super Sport Race rubber, Mach1 grill (GT delete), & Mach1 bumper chin!
Click here for pictures & more info!

If you are in Northern California, check out North Bay Mustang Club for local meets and cruises!
JBeryleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 04:13 PM   #23
Bri's ride
Registered Member

Hey, if your gonna switch your midpipe every year for emissions you might as well get a mide pipe with no cats. That will probably make and SLP cat back WAY to loud for most people. My magnaflow sounded ok w/ the stock mid pipe, too quiet for my taste. Now that I have got my prochamber it just sounds bad, not too loud not to aggresive. Plus mid pipes without cats go for around 200$, and givesmore power.

Less $= more power
Bri's ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #24
blownbyyou
Registered Member

Yea. I think i am going to Go for the SLP. I like the way it looks. Although if i in stall the system i want to do the whole thing, all the way up to the long tube headers. Headers look like a pain in the ass to install on these new stangs. Are they? I need money to do this carp. Just got the car and everyone says that they can beat a Gt with a a v6 peice of shit or an import.
4:11 8" aburn Prorearend
ATI c4 reverse manual valve body.
no e.t. yet
before rear swap and NOS addition ran 15.1 with the 2.78 rear gears
blownbyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #25
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

If you want to go SLP, my adbvice would be to start with the Cat Back and not wait to do the entire job. You may like the sound more than you think and may not want to change much more. You can always add later and you save $ by getting everything together as far as I know.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 04-14-2004, 07:28 PM   #26
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

blownbyyou:

Where do you live in MD. I am in Harrisburg quite a bit. Perhaps we can meet sometime and you can hear the exhaust if you have not already.

I am all stock on the exhaust but the SLP Catback.

My Stang:
Old 04-14-2004, 07:41 PM   #27
blownbyyou
Registered Member

I live in maryland. I will be at both pony trails and National capital area mustang club car show in rockville md on may 1 and 2. on the first i will be crusing in my new car and on sunday the 2nd i will be in my 66. did you just install the cats? does everything line up? how is the quality? is it worth the money?
no e.t. yet
Old 04-14-2004, 07:47 PM   #28
blownbyyou
Registered Member

XXXBlakeXXX,
Your car looks just like mine. Although mine it triple black. Did you but the hood scoop on? Cause the guy who i bought mine on put a 2002 hood on it. I am also in the works of getting some 20 inch cobra Y2k rims is it an automatic or stick. mine is an auto i am thinking about putting a shift kit in it too.
no e.t. yet
Old 04-14-2004, 08:16 PM   #29
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I bought it used...bone stock. The hood was added and the side scoops by the previous owner. It had some minor front end damage and I presume that's when he changed the hood.

My car is a bit of a paradox. It's an '00 with '02 hood and side scoops and the grill delete like the '96 - '98's. Oh well. I like it the way it is.

It is a 5 speed.

I just dropped the catback in on Sat. The quality is perfect and everything lined up "on the money". If you have a lift, this is a 20 minute job as long as you have some spray to lube the rubber exhaust mounts to pull the old exhaust off. I also, cut the old exhaust off which saves time.

My buddies lift was occupied, so we had to use jack stands. It took an hour. The exhaust tipes are really nice. I would say that they have to be worth $100 just for them.

The sound is really nice. Try to hear one live if you can. It may be a little loud for some with a vert. If it had a volume switch, I would turn it down about 20% for my taste, but I still really like it.

It makes an awesome muscle car crackling when you down shift and is just trully amazing at WOT. To those that have heard it, they ask if I have an off-road X pipe too, if that gives you any idea.

I will be at a Mustang and Ford show in Pa on May 30th. here is a link:

http://www.homestead.com/vfmc/

Click on "our car show" on the left colum.

I will have a booth or tent there selling raffle tickets for a 2005 Mustang GT to raise money for a charity that I run (childhood cancer). I am looking for some girls actually (19+) to help sell tickets (whatever works lol).

My Stang:
Old 04-14-2004, 08:39 PM   #30
blownbyyou
Registered Member

why did you have to cut the old exhaust out? to save time? see i think i would just un bolt it so when time to take it through inspection i could just bolt it back on. I have a lift that i use to restore cars and a whole bunch of parts. So it should be no problem, all i have to do now is find some money.
no e.t. yet
Old 04-14-2004, 10:41 PM   #31
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Since Ford welds on the exhausts you have to either cut it out, or drop the entire rear end to take it off. I had no use for the old exhaust and the added labor I was not interested in.

My Stang:
Old 04-15-2004, 01:33 AM   #32
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

You wanna talk about mean sounding. Here are my exhaust mods.

Long Tube Headers 1 3/4 primaries, with 3in collectors
Home made H-pipe, Two Chamber Delta Flow Flowmasters with Dumps.

I'll see if Tim C can help me get an audio file to post. It just sounds wicked at idle it sounds damn down right mean and ready to breath some fire...at Wide open at 7000 RPM it just screams like no everyday driver I've heard before. It sounds deep, aggressive, throaty and you name it.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:39 PM   #33
blownbyyou
Registered Member

Yea i did not think about the part that goes over the axle. Your right that damn thing needs to be cut out. that should make life easier. I guess the SLP exhaust has something to fix that problem on there own system like a 2 peice kit.

Oh I know wicked exhaust. I hang around 2,200 hp drag cars, which make your balls shake. MY 66 has long tube headers and within 6 inches where the exhaust connects is the the delta flow and then right after that they dump out. great for when i go out on bad dates cuase i can't hear what they are bitchin about. oh and it is awsome for setting off car alarms.
no e.t. yet
Old 04-15-2004, 11:04 PM   #34
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Quote:
Originally posted by blownbyyou
great for when i go out on bad dates cuase i can't hear what they are bitchin about. oh and it is awsome for setting off car alarms.
Hell yeah it is!

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 12:19 PM   #35
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Here is a video of a cammed 4.6 with an o/r x pipe and a SLP catback. I must warn you, it is ear shaking loud, especially when he takes off down the road. Please right click and save to your computer.

http://www.eastcoaststang.com/nitrolew.mpg

After watching this vid, my delima is now do I want the all out loundess of the SLP (accompanied by the sloppiness of the SLP) or do I want the loud as hell, but clean, sound of the MAC catback. I am really torn between the two.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 01:30 PM   #36
JBeryleC
Registered Member

I love that cam sound.. but definately could do without the raspy & distorted wide open exhaust sound.

I'm gonna go with the MAC mufflers
BBK long tubes, BBK h-pipe, MAC mufflers, K&N w/ silencer trimmed, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L plenum, Mobil1 synthetic fluids, FRPP aluminum drive shaft, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, FRPP 4.10's, 18x9 & 18x10 Saleens with Dunlop SP Super Sport Race rubber, Mach1 grill (GT delete), & Mach1 bumper chin!

If you are in Northern California, check out North Bay Mustang Club for local meets and cruises!
Old 04-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #37
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Do you know what cams are in that car?
I love the video!!
Thanks

Old 04-16-2004, 01:45 PM   #38
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by JBeryleC
Do you know what cams are in that car?
I love the video!!
Thanks
Comp Cams 270's. That idle is at 1000rpm too, imagine how lopey it would be if the idle was brought down to about 800 or so rpm!!!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #39
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Ok.. why do they have the idle set so high? Maybe the computer will trip out constantly trying to fix a sloppy idle if it was set to like 600-800 rpms??

Thats the "XE270AH" 234/238@.050
Sounds awesome!!

I would be going with the "XE268H" 230/236@.050
Anyone know how much of a SOUND difference there is between the two??

Man I love that lopey sound!!

Old 04-16-2004, 03:42 PM   #40
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by JBeryleC
Ok.. why do they have the idle set so high? Maybe the computer will trip out constantly trying to fix a sloppy idle if it was set to like 600-800 rpms??

Thats the "XE270AH" 234/238@.050
Sounds awesome!!

I would be going with the "XE268H" 230/236@.050
Anyone know how much of a SOUND difference there is between the two??

Man I love that lopey sound!!
I think he said he was getting it tuned pretty soon. Maybe, I dont remember. I'm fairly new to that board. But ya, I love the lope of a cam. I have the b303 in my 90, and it sounds pretty sweet with the exhaust I have on it.

Have you looked at VT cams? I was checking out some threads about their cams, and I have seen some pretty impressive numbers so far. I'll look for the thread about the Stage 2's on a bone stock gt making something like 22 rwhp, or something along those lines. The numbers might be a little different. I'll look for the thread.

Caymon