MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2002, 09:37 PM   #1
97 Stang
Registered Member

Question Headswap

I've now got enough money to do the headswap. I've got a 1997GT and wanted to get the 99+ heads. Now I just need to know where I can order the kit from. I know about dtaperformance, but heard some stuff recently so I'm gonna try and stay clear of them. What other companies offer the complete head swap kit? Thanks for your help.
97 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:05 PM   #2
Titan
Registered Member

I'm not sure about the kit, but if you go to http://reviews.stangnet.com they do a member review on most every mustang part made. You can look through that and find out what people think about different mods.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 07:48 AM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

try www.powerheads.com. they have the conversion with everything you need for 1,495.00 and 2,595 fully ported with ssvalves and all the works. There are a few other places that do them but may be more expensive. The DTA guys seem like they got in over there heads. How could they sell a fully ported kit for the cost that everyone else sells the unported kits for? They got in trouble and sounds like they screwed a few people. Also, the unported kits are good for 45 - 65 hp and the ported kits are good for up to 100 hp, at least that is what they claim. Any way you look at it it is still the cheapest mod for the hp gain you get.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:21 PM   #4
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

man this is killing me there is a reputable place that i saw selling the head swap kit for 1050.00 all new parts and everthing you need but can`t remeber were i saw it i`m saving money for it and i don`t remeber were it is any way this co. sells there for $550.00 ready to bolt on the phone number is 714-992-4909 they don`t have a url in there advert but give them a call
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 05:40 AM   #5
surfbeast
Registered Member

Be carfull with some of the lower price kits. A few of them don't come with the intake or cams. One of the sites I found was selling used 99 heads. It is the 2001 heads you want with cams the new dipstick, heater hose, gaskets and bolts. All these items purchased wholesale cost about 900 to 1050 so make sure any kit you get has all the parts required. If you find the URL of the place for $1050 please let us know.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2002, 04:38 PM   #6
springs_stang
Registered Member

This is the cheapest complete kit I have seen:
Headswap Kit

I am getting my heads ported at a local shop for $500, so DTA's price of $1500 seems inline, especially if he is buying heads and such in quantity.

MODS: Steeda Tri-Ax, Steeda T/A, FRPP 3.73s, FRPP Alum. Driveshaft, Magnapack cat-back, MM C/C plates, Fox Lake PI heads, BBK LTs, waiting on brown truck with with my Comp Cams

197.3rwhp
272.8tq
springs_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 09:31 PM   #7
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

thank god springs stang found it i new i new i came accrossa complete kit for under 2g`s now i know where to buy em
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 11:15 PM   #8
Titan
Registered Member

Why do you wanna swap the cams/intake manifold? Is it a 4v/cyl kit?

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 01:39 AM   #9
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Im pretty sure he wants to swap for the "power improved" heads from the 99+ Gt's. They are much better obviously than the choked 96-98 heads.

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 07:39 AM   #10
97 Stang
Registered Member

Thanks for the sites. Does anybody know more information on the site that springs_stang has. That's a really good price, especially compared to everybody else that has theirs going for at least 500 more.
97 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 10:32 AM   #11
surfbeast
Registered Member

WOW! Thanks for the info. I figured one day the prices would come down with a little competition. $ 1,100 bucks is a great price for the swap kit seeing as you get everything you need. A good port job and you will be sailin'. Just think what a new set of the billit or crower cams would get you!?!?! Now I need to go beg my wife to let me spend the $1,200 bucks. wish me luck!
Old 08-11-2002, 02:53 PM   #12
springs_stang
Registered Member

I had a few questions myself, so I emailed Parkway, this was few weeks ago.

My email to Parkway:
"Is the headswap a complete kit for a 97 GT? I didn't see things like a dipstick or coolant tub in the description? Also, is it possible to get the kit with and 02 intake?"

The reply from Parkway:
"The kit is complete and includes those items and we do use the 02' Intakes with the aluminum coolant passage."

So the kit seems complete!

I went a different route myself, since I am replacing the valves, valve springs and cams, no sense paying for new parts I'm not gonna use; I bought a used set of heads for $425, and I'll purchase the rest of the swap parts, probably from Parkway or GEF.

My heads will be here tomorrow, I'm going to get them ported locally, add to that oversize ss valves, hd springs, and regrind cams, hoping to have the money to complete everything by mid November, install will be by me. Another thing I've heard and will try it if it is true, is that you can get custom length valves from Manley so lash caps and shims aren't required for the regrind cams.

MODS: Steeda Tri-Ax, Steeda T/A, FRPP 3.73s, FRPP Alum. Driveshaft, Magnapack cat-back, MM C/C plates, Fox Lake PI heads, BBK LTs, waiting on brown truck with with my Comp Cams

197.3rwhp
272.8tq
springs_stang is offline   Reply With Quote