MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-12-2000, 02:56 PM   #1
robs2000gt
Registered Member

Post X pipes

I have 3.73 gears, 2 chamber flows, 100hp shot of nx. I was thinking of getting an xpipe. will it actually improve performance? I want to do some more mods to get me into the solid 12's. right now i am running high 12's real low 13's. I was also thinking of bumping up to 125hp or 150 shot, what do you guys think. i was also wondering why x pipes with cats are not legal in california, is it because of smog or noise? My flows are illegal because of Noise.
robs2000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2000, 03:38 PM   #2
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

The cat X-pipe is illegal because any modification of a properly working emissions system is illegal. Out here in the east, technically its illegal, but as long as you pass the sniffer, they don't care. And rightfully so, whats the difference if you pass w/ one cat or four, a blown cat or a coffee can, as long as you exhaust is "clean."
I had an offroad X-pipe on my 5.0L and I thought the sound and upper end power was nothing short of awsome. X-pipes work best w/ a straight through muffler though, like a race magnum or Magnaflows, thats the way it was designed. If you have a chambered or baffled muffler, and are gonna run "cats", I would save money and run an H-pipe. W/ cats and those mufflers, there is next to no difference between an X and H. The H will sound deeper or more "bass", while X will have more of a Nascar sound.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L, just bought, this thing has just about every option, let the mods begin

Recently totaled (tear): 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd Red w/ black interior
2 chamber flowmasters, Bassani off-road X-pipe, MAC cold air induction, Kirban short throw, Heavy duty 3 core radiator, FMS 3:73's, Timing bump to 14 degrees, SRP billet racing pedals, Kenwood sound system
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2000, 03:40 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Is NX a wet shot or a dry shot?
Either way, I wouldn't go over a 100 shot.
Any form of forced induction wears parts faster than normal use, but in my experience, once you start producing the heat, wear, and combustion that a 125 or 150 shot would produce, you're asking for trouble on stock parts. It may not go today, and it may not go tommorrow, but something WILL go. It may be something somewhat easy like a head gasket.... it could be something bank draining.... you never know.

An x-pipe will definately help, but to be honest, to get the numbers you want somewhat safely, its time to consider a new head\intake combo or other similiar engine work. Put some forged pistons in that brute while you're at it....

Just my opinion...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2000, 02:57 AM   #4
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robs2000gt:
I have 3.73 gears, 2 chamber flows, 100hp shot of nx. I was thinking of getting an xpipe. will it actually improve performance? I want to do some more mods to get me into the solid 12's. right now i am running high 12's real low 13's. I was also thinking of bumping up to 125hp or 150 shot, what do you guys think. i was also wondering why x pipes with cats are not legal in california, is it because of smog or noise? My flows are illegal because of Noise.

Yeah, with NOS or a blower you want to reduce back preasure pretty much as much as possible. (Ummm, yeah, that actually makes sense )

But an X-pipe with straight though baffled (as aposed to chambered) mufflers work well. I have Dynomax Ultra-Flows with a Bassani X-pipe myself. But in short, opening the exhaulst will be worth while with a NOS'd car.

As far as the emissions testing. Around here they do a look and see if you have something that looks like a cat. In CA, I believe they do the OEM rule. Meaning its gotta be an OEM part or an approved aftermarket. The only approved aftermarket Mustang parts I know of are part of the GT40 program isn't any help at all here.

Its really stupid, because a Bassani catalitic x-pipe will typically do better then the OEM H-pipe on a sniffer test, but its still illegal. In catalogs there will always be an * and a foot note next to them.

In conclusion, NA, a X-pipe with cats is worth maybe 12 rwhp. With NOS somewhat more. An off-road pipe will work somewhat better. Also remember, its not that hard to swap the H (or X pipe) in and out for inspection once a year.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2000, 06:40 AM   #5
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Changing out H/X pipes are not that hard to do. Just put the offroad on and take it easy around cops. Personally the Offroad H has worked best for me!

------------------
00 GT, K&N, MAC Tree Killer, Pullies, 4.10’s, 2 chamber Flowmasters, UPR shifter, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s 13.35@100.02 (1.88 60ft)
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool, more to come
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote