MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2002, 10:30 AM   #1
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Question How can I flatten out my curves?

Ok, as you guys can see, I have great rwhp and rwtrq, but my dyno charts resemble the Rocky Mountains, i.e. my curves are not very flat. When I reach peak rpm, wow, rocketship, but for a while, my snake is like any other fixed 99. I realize that I have the centrifugal blower and it doesn't kick in until mid rpm range, but is there anything I can do to get more horse power and torque in the lower ranges? I don't want such a steep incline, just something to take the edge off, you know? Will exhaust flatten it or will it raise not only my lower range HP but also my peak, leaving a similar peak? Do you know what I'm talking about. I really don't need much more peak HP, just a little more through the rpms and more torque! Thanks for your help guys!!

PS: All I have is the 90mm Maf, reprogrammed chip, intercooler, aftercooler, battery relocation (no more room up front ), and the blower. All came with the Vortech kit. No exhaust (except the fix) or anything else. Convertible (incase that matters).

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:57 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Well, while not actually increasing torque, some 4.10s will help torque multiplication at the rear and help acceleration....

As far as actually making a big change on your torque curve, I'd say start saving for a stroker kit....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:27 AM   #3
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Cool, Stroker Kit!.... Hmmm, let's pretend that I don't know what exactly that is... theoretically, hypothetically,..... ummm....what is it and what does it do?

I'll also check that FAQ thing, see if it's there. Thanks dude.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 07-15-2002, 11:45 AM   #4
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

A Stroker kit, "Strokes" the engine. Depending on what you are doing to it, it will come with different componenets. Usually though, it's over sized pistons "0.030, 0.060, etc" this makes the diameter of each of your pistons that many fractions of an inch larger. you also get a crank and con-rods that are different length than what you have now. This will either lengthen or shorten your stroke, (adding or diminishing displacement). This is how you can take a 281 and make a 300 or 318 out of it.

here's the link to SHM Stroker Kits for 96-01 4.6 Engines

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/stroker.html

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:48 AM   #5
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

sorry, that 300 should be a 298... you take a 281 bore it 0.030 over and change the stroke to 3.70 in...

318 is 281 bored more than 0.030, (maybe 0.040 or 0.060) then a stroke length of 3.70 in. this engine needs special sleeves, probably cause the walls between the cyls get marginal on thickness when you bore out this much

Old 07-15-2002, 04:22 PM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If you don't like the high-revvin' powerband you've got, I'll trade you straight across for my Edelbrock Performer equipped 302. Real nice broad flat torque band...
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 04:33 PM   #7
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Kinda makes me wish I had kept the engine out of my 90 C1500 before I sold it. It was a 350 with Roller setup (rockers and cam) Performer RPM Heads & Intake, 650CFM Carb w/Mech Sec, MSD ignition system, etc.. really nice engine.. was good for about 420/420... but, oh no... like an idiot I let it go with the truck and the guys I sold it to blew the engine out of it.....(sniff) not just broke... they dropped the bottom end out of the oil pan..... that truck got turned in to trash, as they wrecked it, broke the roll pan, added chrome fender wells, etc...... some people...!!! oh well, I have a mustang now....

Old 07-16-2002, 09:04 AM   #8
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue00gt
If you don't like the high-revvin' powerband you've got, I'll trade you straight across for my Edelbrock Performer equipped 302. Real nice broad flat torque band...
Haha... no no, I love it.. I am just looking for a little more down low. But mostly looking for better torque. Want to get off the line just tad bit faster, that's all. Anyone know what a 318 engine (stroked 281) would produce in terms of torque and power on boost? Rough estimate of course. My 281 makes 453 rwhp, much more or just a little more with a flatter curve?

Thanks you guys so much for your help. If I get a stroker kit (a few more years of course ) I'm going all out.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 07-16-2002, 09:27 AM   #9
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Here's what the 298 did, I didn't see anything about the 318. It should at least be higher than these numbers..

Max POWER = 534.8 RWHP
Max TORQUE = 413.9

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...00stroker.html

Modifications: 1999 - Cobra

SHM 300 Stroker Engine, Blower Cams, heads
Paxton Novi 2000, 12 PSI
SHM Intercooler
SHM Fuel Upgrades
FRPP Shorty Headers
BASSANI X Pipe
Dynomax Exhaust
92 Octane Fuel

Old 07-16-2002, 09:44 AM   #10
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Sweet! Thank you so much for the research! I really appreciate it dude! Do stroker kits cost an arm and a leg to have put on, especially if there is a blower already? Just curious. I don't know enough about engines to feel comfortable doing stuff to the cobra.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 07-16-2002, 10:04 AM   #11
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

I don't know about and arm and a leg... but they aren't cheap, they have to remove the engine, punch out the cyl. walls, install new rotating assembly, etc. The kits themselves are a couple thousand, now the 318 SHM Engine is a short block or long block only, they don't sell you the rotating assembly.... They have all the prices listed on their website

Old 07-16-2002, 10:13 AM   #12
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

If you want more oomp off the line pay $400 and get a set of 4.10 or 3.73 gears and get a lot more off the line, instead of paying several thousand for a stroker kit.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:36 AM   #13
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Yeah, gears would help me off the line.. but for some reason, I was clinging to the notion that I wanted to conserve what is left of my gas mileage, but no matter what I do, stroker kit or gears, it still won't change the fact that I can't control myself and I gun it every chance I get . So yeah, since gears were brought up again (I appreciate it too), I think I'll stick with that...... for now I'll just keep dreaming about the stroker kit for the time being. Thanks again.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University