MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2002, 09:13 PM   #1
Torinalth
Registered Member

Default how much power is too much?

I'm going to go with a TDC Turbo system for the GT, but not sure where I should draw the line..... 350 to the wheels? 500? 650? I'm just not sure where I should draw the line..... it is not a race stang, it is my daily, hence why the turbo is there (turbo can be turned down when power is not needed), and love pure torque, but not to sure when enough is enough. your thoughts?

Torinalth
Old 07-15-2002, 09:49 PM   #2
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

i myself would say when you give it gas in 3rd gear and the tire break free but thats just me
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:56 PM   #3
Torinalth
Registered Member

but how will you know you get there till it happens? heh, I'm attempting to save money by not adding as much power, but dont want to skimp out and be left wanting more.... I dunno, how much would be sufficient to take a viper and or z06, I'd be happy with that.

Torinalth
Old 07-15-2002, 10:05 PM   #4
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

it`s hard to say if you are getting a turbo get the best you can afford and as to beat viper or vette 550-600 will definetly do but keep in mind that kind of power would required at least new pistons,rods,crank to safely do
Old 07-15-2002, 10:11 PM   #5
Torinalth
Registered Member

already searching for a new block with a new crank, rods, and pistons. and a couple other goodies to make sure it doesnt break....... as far as most turbo I can afford...... that is about 800HP, unless I get TDC to make a custom TT for me, then it is endless...... I can affor anything, but dont want to spend cash on something I wont use.

Torinalth
Old 07-15-2002, 10:13 PM   #6
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

it`s hard to say if your rich why didn`t you buy a roush or saleen turn key rocket
Old 07-15-2002, 10:21 PM   #7
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Bada$% has a point....

If money is no object, why don't you get a 03 Cobra.

It's a much better base to start a street terror....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:51 PM   #8
Torinalth
Registered Member

I want a sleeper, and a stock GT is just that, I had my rice rocket and gave up on it. people will recognize a rouche because of the sidepipes, aerokit, and badging, same with the cobra..... and not unlimited funds, just able to spend what is necessary to make my lil GT a beast in disguise.

and the cobra is nice, but needing a SC to get the power? sorry, that is why I'm T/Cing the GT..... plus I do all the work myself when I upgrade, so I start from the ground up..... though I Could do a cobra engine, and get a shortblock for that........ though that might take more converting on top of what is already needed. anyhow.

I'v decided to cap of at round 600 HP to the wheels, any more than that and I'll hook a 100 shot of juice. that should sate my hunger, and not put that large of a dent on my funding......

going with either a probe or DTM shortblock, TDC 2x power adder, tremec T56, tri-ax shifter, steeda billit whywheel, spec clutch stage 2 with kev pads, aluminum driveshaft, 31 axels, new wheels, tires, and full suspension....... going to cost more than the f*&^#%g GT. erg....

Torinalth

Last edited by Hammer; 07-16-2002 at 07:41 AM..
Torinalth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 07:43 AM   #9
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Sorry Torinalth,
I had to edit your post for the kiddies...

Anyway, it looks like you've decided on a nice setup.

Good luck man...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:18 AM   #10
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Default Re: how much power is too much?

Quote:
Originally posted by Torinalth
I'm going to go with a TDC Turbo system for the GT, but not sure where I should draw the line..... 350 to the wheels? 500? 650? I'm just not sure where I should draw the line..... it is not a race stang, it is my daily, hence why the turbo is there (turbo can be turned down when power is not needed), and love pure torque, but not to sure when enough is enough. your thoughts?

Torinalth
You are definitely on the right track. I have the TDC Turbo system with the T-76 and use the car as a daily driver all summer. I get about 12-14 mpg around town and over 18 mpg on the highway. I would say anwhere over 500 rwhp & 500 rwtq, you can have serious traction issues and it could get dangerous on the street. With the right suspension and tires, this may not be a problem. Anyway, good luck with your setup. Make sure you get a turbo with dual ball bearings. It will spool up tons faster and lag will almost be non-existent. I see full boost around 3600 rpms and after the dual BB upgrade I was told I should see full boost around 2500 rpms. The people that talk about lag have never experienced a dual BB turbo before probably because they can cost $2,800+ alone.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 06:49 PM   #11
94GTConv
Registered Member

I'm pushing 380ish HP to the rear in a 96 GT. (Supercharged 99 Cobra engine). Viper's, Vette's, Z06's are a good challenge, but I haven't been beat by a stock one yet. If your pushing 600 RWHP you'll be more than fine.
94GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:43 PM   #12
Torinalth
Registered Member

sweet. that is exactly what I'm looking to hear..... Turbo, though you did the stage 2, sounds like you did the 2xx based on the turbo type..... or did you do the stage 2 and just upgrade to a better turbo?

I plan to overhaul ym entire suspension with subframes and then run 9" front and 10" rear wheels (wide not tall) with Toyo Proxie TS-1s...... going to take a bit for me to get all this done, dont have time to let go of the GT to do everything to it at this point, but soon, soon....

Torinalth
Old 07-16-2002, 11:28 PM   #13
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

You are right. I have the Stage IIxx. When I first bought the kit, which was the first released with the T-76, it was called just a stage II. Since then, TDC added a few different turbo kits.
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:57 PM   #14
Torinalth
Registered Member

it makes sense now thanks for the information and replys!

Torinalth
Old 07-17-2002, 05:10 PM   #15
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Default This may interest you...

World's most powerful 2V has a Stage 2xx turbo system...
http://www.mustangweekly.com/2002/ju...s/n7-7-3rd.asp
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:34 PM   #16
Torinalth
Registered Member

well, I talked to TDC and they said all I would need is the block for up to 30lbs of boost, a new clutch and nothing more... they said the drive shaft, trani, axels, and flywheel will take 600hp but not much more.... how much stock should I take in that? I mean axels, trani, flywheel, and DS will cost me about 3500 or so. that there is 1/2 my turbo setup.....

Torinalth
Old 07-18-2002, 11:55 AM   #17
subterfuge
Registered Member

Default Subterfuge

Here is somehting to think about... you can build a motor to start making all kinds of power, but you had better build your driveline to withstand it!!!

Example: My brother built a 86 chevy pickup for sand draggin, supercharged 383 stroker, puts out about 550 hp. By the end of the summer he put in new axles, rear end twice, and rebuilt the tranny (which is starting to go again).

Just something to think about...
subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote