MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2002, 12:37 PM   #1
southernstang97

Default where are the 30 buck intake spacer ?

Hey ,

I thought there was going to be somebody make a spacer for 30 or 40 bucks on here ,,,,, lets us know!!
Old 07-17-2002, 11:50 AM   #2
medrvstang01
Registered Member

Default Intake Spacers?

You know I just saw these on Ebay! I heard a lot of Camaro guys talk about them and saying they add about 4 horses. I find that hard to believe. How do these work and why the additional horses!

Can someone explain please?
medrvstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 12:45 PM   #3
southernstang97

Talking more air a higher rpm's !

well the spacer have been dyno on the 99 and up gt's. If you look on the stangnet.com forums they have people that have dyno there stangs with the spacer on and off , they got 2hp/2tq with the spacer. But around 5500 rpms in 3 going to 4th they founnd that the spacer added up to 8hp , so thats not bad if you get the spacer cheap , would not want to pay 100 bucks for that amount of hp , could use that money on something else !!!

Now for how the spacer works , it allows more air in your intake and mainly going to help you when you are in higher rpm's( 5,000, 5,500rpm) . I say from 30 to 50 bucks this is a good mod and higher in price would make me think about .

Now they do say that people with SC will see more again which makes sense since it will allow more air to flow.

There is a guy also on the stangnet forum that is working on making these spacer so that he could sell them much cheaper ( around 30 bucks ) , this is a old 5.0 trick and the 5.0 spacers are very very cheap , looking at 20 bucks or so !!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:14 PM   #4
medrvstang01
Registered Member

Default Spacer connects to the MAF

The spacer connects to the MAF.......correct?

I've seen them on Ebay for $100....and yes.....I agree....waste of money..
Old 07-17-2002, 10:09 PM   #5
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

No, i beleive they are talking about a 1/2inch aluminum spacer that goes on top of the intake manifold.. I have a guy here who could make then for me, for nothen more than a case of beer or two, so if anyone knows where i can get the gasket/seal without taking mine off (for use as a templete), I would be happy to see if he will make me a couple dozen.. But this would have to take place soon, cause i am leaving the country in a two weeks... Later.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:59 AM   #6
southernstang97

Default HEY AFEEZOR97 !!

afeezor97 ,

You can go to your local part shop and just ask for the upper intake gasket , they might have it in stock or have to order it. I have been checking for a gasket where I live and they are going to have to order me one , don't cost a lot 3 or 4 bucks from what I have seen.

So if your friend can make some , please let me know , I want one but I am not going to pay 100.00 bucks for 2hp/2tq and thats how much they are going for on e-bay . So let me ASAP and if you can't find the gasket around town , send me a PM and I will have one ordered and mail you the gasket , but you should be able to get them at the part store , or even a ford dealership would have them and they should have them in stock !

SOUTHERNSTANG
97 gt
Old 07-18-2002, 08:46 AM   #7
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

I think someone asked how they work. Here's how:

An intake spacer adds length to the intake runner(s), this gives the incoming air more space and time to pick up velocity. You want your intake air to be fast and not to sit around in your manifold. Some spacers have a helix like design on the inside edge, this is supposed to swirl the air, this in turn (like rifling on a gun barrel) keeps the air moving forward and helps it to maintain velocity. -- Think of it this way, if you have ever watched a river that is very high and running fast, if you notice, there are some parts where there's debris or other objects in the path of the water, this causes the current to swirl around it and sometimes cause it to get stuck in a mini-loop (just spinning around in the same place), you do not want this to happen to the air intake on your car. This will decrease your car's ability to function as it can not breath properly. --Now, as far as how well these things work, that is still being debated.

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:13 AM   #8
medrvstang01
Registered Member

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-18-2002, 04:51 PM   #9
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 98SteedaGT
I think someone asked how they work. Here's how:

An intake spacer adds length to the intake runner(s), this gives the incoming air more space and time to pick up velocity.
Not runner volume, but plenum volume.

It's interesting to note, that the 4.6 intake is pretty much like a carbed intake, except with super-long runners (curled around in the valley between the cylinder banks.) The addition of a spacer indicates to me, that there is one of two things going on, or both. The plenum volume is on the small side to keep velocity up. or the transition from the t-body to the plenum is a little to abrupt. in the case of the latter, the added plenum volume places the t-body farther away allowing the air more time to straighten out. As for plenum volume and velocity?? FI cars are not as sensitive to air veleocity as carbed cars are. Mainly because most FI manifolds are dry flow manifolds, versus the wet flow for carbed intakes.

HOWEVER edelbrock, or trickflow, or holley if you are listening. Don't saddle us with an all metal intake when and if you decide to do a 4.6 intake. Give us something with a phenolic spacer between the runners and the heads and phenolic between the plenum and the t-body housing. I've seen the new aluminum intake for the LS1's its all metal. So if the stock intake has more than enough guts to feed the LS1 then the new metal intake isn't gonna do squat for power on a stock headed LS-1 and will probably cost some power because its gonna absorb more heat (weight wasn't the only reason for the plastic intakes) and no bullit/FFRP architecture clones either. They are pretty and do a good job, but the K.I.S.S methodology has its own charms.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 07:01 PM   #10
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

Exclamation

well, i talked to my guy, and he said he cant get anything in a 1/2inch, but he could make 2 or 3 peices that stack on eachother.. Do any of you think that would be a problem? Let me know... Also we've been talking aluminum, is there something else that might work.. other than steel (its to hard on the machine).
Old 07-19-2002, 02:22 PM   #11
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

when i finally get my smithy machine i`ll be making mine out of thermal plastic. and mutiple spacers mean more gaskets to buy
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote