MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-19-2002, 12:58 AM   #1
apenn

Default Smokey Burnouts - How To??

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but.....

I just ordered a set of BF GoodRich drag radials and I know I've got to heat them up a little before launch. I have a 2000 GT with a 5 speed. Do I do the burnout in 1st or 2nd gear? My only major mods are a Vortech SC and X-pipes (MagnaFlow Mufflers). Am I to use the brakes in any fashion during the burnout to lock the front tires, and if so how (three peddals, two feet)?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2002, 02:32 AM   #2
gofastforless.com
Registered Member

There are a couple ways to do it. One way is to keep your right foot on the gas, dump the clutch and quickly put your left foot on the brake. I've never had much luck doing that. Another way is to "heel-toe" it. The left foot stays on the clutch, the right heel is on the brake and you run the gas with your toes. If the pedals are close enough you can use your big toe to hold the brake and the little toes to run the gas. You'l have to play around with it to find what works best.
gofastforless.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 08:26 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Well....in my brother's old GT, I would just heel of my foot to work the brake the the toe to work the gass. Use your left foot work the clutch. If you get good enough you can bang into 2nd or 3rd(if you've got enough hp to spin 3rd)

OR you can just rev it up, dump the clutch, then jump quickly onto the brake. Do what ever works best for you.

BTW, with you stock gears, do a 1st gear burnout. You don't have to do a long one, just enough to haze the tires. About 5-7 seconds

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:12 PM   #4
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Well, if you aren't worried about toxic fumes, EPA laws, or your tires-- then you can pour a little bit of Clorox Bleach over the top of your tires, then make a puddle in front of them, and then lite'em up..... Although, you may not have much tire, or room to breathe afterwards........ Also, this shouldn't be tried by anyone w/o Chemical Spill Cleanup experience.... so, with that said... Have fun burning your tires

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 02:16 PM   #5
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

i`ve always found dumping it in 2nd gear is best 1st brings on the redline to fast
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 02:52 PM   #6
apenn

All - Thanks for the advice (I might hold off a while on the Clorox suggestion though). I've got a print out of your suggestions and I'm off to the garage to practice, engine off of course.

Thanks again!
Old 07-19-2002, 03:01 PM   #7
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Yes, please.. no one try the clorox method.... I just posted that because some of our "I think I know what I am talking about" people in this area have told me that.... (I would never do it myself, for obvious reasons)... I think it's a funny idea, what's even funnier is, someone swore up and down by it.... hehe (we've got some real winners in this area)..

Later

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:30 PM   #8
gofastforless.com
Registered Member

The bleach thing is an old trick. Back in the early sixties you could buy a Chevy from the factory with bleach injectors over the rear tires. Its simple to rig up, just put a windshield washer system in the trunk.
gofastforless.com is offline   Reply With Quote