MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-13-2002, 04:43 PM   #1
lowerswill
Registered Member

Question HP Rating

I hope somebody can shed some light into my mustang world. I bought a 96 mustang GT from a guy a few months ago and got a great deal on the car and you will see why. The guy only had the car a few months before he had to get rid of it because of a career change -- began working in construction. He was pointing out a few of the upgrades that had been placed on the car but I was unable to get specifics. I would like to know if there is any way to find out what is on my mustang so I can figure out how much HP I have. Here is what is on the car:

* K&N Air Filter (can see this is true)
* Cold air induction (or ram air, not sure which is right)
* a prefab chip
* some loud exhaust (wife complains because when I floor it she can hear for a few blocks, can tell it is new, it is still very silver)
* Some perfomance intake. You can tell the intake has been replaced along with thermistat and some other small things.

Among those things I have 17" wheels and I think everything else is stock. I have not run it in the 1/4 mile yet but I do know that I can hit 110mph in third gear and be at red line (not sure if that is good).

If you need more information I can give it to you but I am not sure what else you would want to know.
lowerswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:54 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

First of all, good choice on the Mustang GT! I hope you have fun driving it.

1. The K&N should be obvious, it's a red airfilter that is built real solidly.

2. To tell the difference between ram air and a cold air kit is simple. A ram air kit will with have a scoop under the car to pick up air or a "hole" in the hoop to catch the air. A cold air kit will be a solid, fairly straight tube that runs from your fender to the throttle body.

3. The only way I know to tell if you have a chip would be to physically look at the computer. It is under the passenger side kicker panel. Unless you feel confident in taking things apart I would not mess with the computer.

4. You'll have to look under the car for the exhaust. I'm not sure how to tell the brand name, and to be honest I'm not sure what the 4.6 headers look like compared to the 5.0's. But if there are either chrome or power coated they should be after market. If you crawl under the car you should be able to see some Catylitic converters. If not you've got an Off-road pipe. Then there shoule be a section where the 2 pipes come together. It will either look like an "X" or an "H". Then look at the mufflers. They should have a name stamped on them. Hope that makes sense.

5. There is an aftermarket intake for the 4.6 but honestly, I'm not an expert. I know what the stock intake looks like and the SVO intake. Without a digital photo I can't tell the difference. Someone else can (I'm sure)

As for gears I would guess you have 2.73's. 5000 RPM and 110 mph sound like 2.73's to me.

Hope that helps some.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:54 PM   #3
lowerswill
Registered Member

Another point... My stang idles at about 1400rpms
I know I have seen some muscle cars idle this high but from what I listed above, does this sound normal?
Old 03-13-2002, 05:06 PM   #4
lowerswill
Registered Member

2.73 gears? that isn't stock is it? They are for top end right? The gear thing always confuses me.

I will check the computer, I am not afraid of anything in the car. Is there something on the chip that will say that it is not stock?

It would be ram air then that runs into my k&n filter. Which I was looking at and will be chore to clean. Good thing you only need to clean it every 30,000 miles or more.

Does the Ram air and K&N actually add any HP to the car? I would think that it would not be that much.
I will try to see if I can get a clean shot of it on a clear day then post it to see if anyone can help out.

The guy I bought the car from and all the car buffs that I know all say that My car should have at least 300HP maybe more depending on the actual equipment. Do you think this is acurate?

I have to say that I love driving my mustang. And since I am in it alot I put a nice stereo in it but it had to be loud to be heard over the exhaust.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:26 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Unless the PI head swap has been done to the motor, you would have nowhere near 300hp. Probably more like 250-260 from the mods you describe.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 03:24 PM   #6
lowerswill
Registered Member

I guess I was just getting a little bit excited having people tell me that I would have that much HP.. It is better than stock though. I just hope that it is a good base to continue adding to. I will just have to wait and see...

Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:24 PM   #7
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I seriously doubt you have 300 HP. 240-250 at the Crank is more realistic.

2.73 gears are for top end speed. Pretty useless gears if you ask me. Go with 3.73's or 3.55's if you want more performance. When I had my 2.73's I did not have enough HP to max out my speed. I was limited by the drag on the car. 3.73's are a great all round gear and what I recommend you get.

The only experience I have with chips in the 4.6L cars is on Hammers GT. And you could definately tell you have a chip.

Take a picture of the engine compartment and post it.

The 96-98 GT's are a nice base, But I think they need boost to get them really singing

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote