MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-26-2002, 05:11 PM   #1
bigballer811
Registered Member

Default future buy

well Im curently looking to buy a mustang, Ive wanted a mustang since i was about 10 years old. I cant buy my dream mustang just yet ( Im 18 looking to buy my second car) but I can get either a 96 or 97 gt, or a 94 or 95 gt convertible, I was wondering which would be the better buy? The 94 and 95 gt's still have the 5.0 in them so I was leaning towards those, but is there any thing you mustang vets can inform me with, as far as advantages to the 96 or 97 gt's. I dont plan on doing serious racing, just your typical teenage road racing every once in awhile, with friends or whoever. but any info would be very helpful, thanks.
bigballer811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 09:52 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

If you've narrowed it down to those 2 choices, get the 94-95. The aftermarket at this point is so much better on the 302's vs the 281's. It'll be a lot easier to get that 5.0 moving than the 4.6. Good Luck!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:11 AM   #3
bigballer811
Registered Member

well Ive talked to the owner of a 95 gt vert, 5 speed, on rims, but the thing is it has 100k miles on it, thats a pretty high number, I saw another one almost identical to it with 77k miles, the only difference pretty much is the miles and rims between the two, I'll give the second mustangs owner a call tomorrow, is 77 k still too high or should I be ok?
Old 02-27-2002, 03:33 AM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Well, I bought my 94 Cobra with 94000miles on it, and it still runs great. The 5.0 is a very durable engine. If you do buy it, make sure you give it a good tune up.
The stock 302 block is very stout, and the parts to beef it up if something breaks are not too expensive. I'm sure you'll eventually be putting heads, intake, cam, and all that good stuff on it anyway, so don't worry too much about mileage. 77k is not bad at all.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
Old 02-28-2002, 01:15 AM   #5
bigballer811
Registered Member

thanks a lot for your info, I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on my quest for a mustang,

oh Also Ive been reading some owner reviews of some mustangs, and Ive been reading how, the ride is kinda rough over any kind of bumppy road (even just a little bumppy of a road) and how it doesnt keep tracktion very well at all, when the road is wet. could some of you gusy with stangs comment on these two issues. thanks again
Old 02-28-2002, 03:32 AM   #6
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Yes, you will feel every little bump, but you'll get used to it, and the power you'll experience will more than make up for the minor annoyance of bumpy roads.

As far as traction goes, I have almost gotten into a # of accidents in wet weather with my GT. Not because of the car, though, just because of my own stupidity. If you respect the power you're in control of, and realize what can happen, you should be alright. Just take it really easy in wet weather.
Old 03-02-2002, 01:59 AM   #7
bigballer811
Registered Member

well I went to go check out a 95 gt vert, today. The car looks very clean, it has a brand new top, the engine looked clean, it sounded nice and beefy. The car has 100k miles on it, so I have to look into that, the guy told me that he just recently put a manual transmision in it, so it used to have an automatic trans in it, should this worry me at all, as far as quality goes? Im getting a really good deal for it, $6,500, so im planing on buying it within a week or so, I dont wanna get stuck with a car thats gonna give me a lot of problems, should I be really carefull with this car, or should I try to snag it up as soon as possible?
Old 03-04-2002, 01:30 AM   #8
bigballer811
Registered Member

I asked one of my friends about the whole auto to manual thing, and he said it shouldnt be a problem as long as they put the right kind of transmision in it, but another friend said, that it was an absolutely horrible idea to change, can someone give me the final word on this issue please, thank you.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:05 PM   #9
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

If he did it right there's no problem with the tranny conversion. And don't worry about 100K miles if the car has been taken care of. Check it out really good for leaks, etc. Get a CARFAX run on it and make sure it's not been wrecked or anything really bad. Drive it and see how it drives/runs. If it all pans out ok then go for it.

They can be a bit squirrely in the ran. You just have to LEARN how to drive it. It's not your avg mom and pop mobile with a mushy suspension. You think a stang's suspension is stiff, take a ride in my L. Depending on the road you might just get a headache and or back ache. Then again the L's are set up for road race. Both of the stangs I"ve had, an 87 GT and a 96 GTS, road quite well. Not rough at all. Though riders sometimes complained. I guess I was just used to it.