MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2002, 10:32 AM   #1
HenDawg
Registered Member

Question Question for Auto Guys

I want to do some mods for my tranny. I have decide on 4:10 Gears but wanted to know If you recommend a chip to adjust shift points and firmness or should I purchase a shift kit from baumman or like comp? Which one would be more reliable?
HenDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 03:27 PM   #2
Thom Silbaugh
Registered Member

From the research I have done over the past few months I am going to do one of the following...

Trans-Go Kit - it come highly recommended by just about everyone that has put one in.

Jerry's MOD - you can't argue with one of the guys that designed the tranny in the first place.

So far, both seem to be good options. Both will need the addition of a good tranny cooler also IMHO.

I don't know if I like the idea of chipping to do the same thing. I'm afraid that the computer will just push the tranny to early failure.

If anyone out there with first hand experience has a better solution, I'm listening too.
Thom Silbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 06:41 PM   #3
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

HenDawg what year is your stang. If it's a 99 or newer, you'll need a custom chip burnt. I have 4.10's in my stang, and if I could do it over, I wouldnt put them in. I would definitely have saved the money for a supercharger. A shiftkit is a good idea though. If you put the gears in and supercharge it down the road, you'll run into problems with the tranny.
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 11:57 PM   #4
jimbogt97
Registered Member

If I were you I'd definatly go with the shift kit over chipping the EEC. My girlfreind bought a 94 GT AODE with 3.73s and a chip in the computer for firmer shifting and she just spent $1,200 rebuilding the tranny. I'm pretty sure that the chip was a main factor that made the tranny gernade. Pulled the chip a few weeks ago and it seems to be shifting just fine without
jimbogt97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:58 PM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

What year Stang do you have?
You can chip and still have good tranny life. You'll want to go with a chip from www.customchip.com. They are the only company out there that really knows the 4R70W tranny. The programs were designed by Jerry W, and enginner that helped design the tranny. Give them a call and they can help you out with what shift kit to choose also.
I have 20,000 hard, chipped miles on my 85K mile tranny and I have had no problems. I keep the tranny fluid fresh and I have a B&M 24,000 trans cooler.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:54 PM   #6
HenDawg
Registered Member

I have a 2000 gt. So I know I will definetly need the chip. I guess what I was wandering bout was should I have the chip set not to adjust the the shift points since I will put in a shift Kit, or will it still be okay? Ps A tranny cooler is definelty a neccesity. I drive prety hard. ( can't help it)
HenDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:50 AM   #7
SLOW 97
Registered Member

If you want the best mod for your auto get a higher stall torque converter. I personally like the Stallion Torque Converter from Precision Industries. You'll drop about 7 tenths on your ET with one of these and their only about $350! Go to www.converter.com for more infortmation on it. With this, 4.10's, and a Trans-Go kit you'll be running a lot quicker.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote