MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2002, 09:53 AM   #1
zeropanic
Registered Member

Question Muffler Suggestions?

I'm trading my current mustang (99v6) for a 2002 GT. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the LOUDEST muffler while remaining legal for emissions? I know all these imports have loud exhaust systems, but is there something for the stangs that will be that loud?

Thanks!
zeropanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 10:01 AM   #2
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Flowmaster 2-Chambers!!!!!! Get a Flowmaster American Thunder after cat sytem w/ stainless steel tails. You can hear it www.flowmastermufflers.com.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 12:20 PM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

Go with Slow 97's suggestion for loudness. except ditch the six cats and go with an "H" or "X" pipe. You will still be legal and the sound wil be there. You don't want your "HORSE" to sound like these imports with there tinny whinny sound do you? If you do just buy one of those.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:50 PM   #4
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Yup Surfbeast you are correct. You can't make any power with an H-Pipe that has six cats. Get an H-pipe with your cat back (I personally don't like how x-pipes sound). also if your looking for that aggressive, muscular tone stay away from straight through (Borla, Magnaflow) design mufflers. Your car will sound like a rice-burner with a fart tip or a BMW (Retarded). People might say that every Mustang has Flowmaster two chambers but there is a reason for that. They are THE best sounding mufflers by far!
With a 2.21 60ft
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
Old 03-08-2002, 04:20 PM   #5
zeropanic
Registered Member

lol.. Thanks guys.. So no go on a borla but a flowmaster instead? okay..

Slow- Where on flowmasters site is the american thunder series? All I can see is the deltas..

Thanks again
Old 03-08-2002, 06:04 PM   #6
Rally
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SLOW 97
Get an H-pipe with your cat back (I personally don't like how x-pipes sound). also if your looking for that aggressive, muscular tone stay away from straight through (Borla, Magnaflow) design mufflers. Your car will sound like a rice-burner with a fart tip or a BMW (Retarded). People might say that every Mustang has Flowmaster two chambers but there is a reason for that. They are THE best sounding mufflers by far!
I thought to make the most power, the rule of thumb was;

x-pipe with cats...straight-thru muffler, ala Magnaflow.
h-pipe, off-road x or h...baffled muffler, ala Flowmaster.

I DEFINATELY don't want my Mustang to sound like a ricer, and was planning on going x-pipe with cats/Magnaflow to help with power. How does an h-pipe w/ cats and a chambered muffler look on a dyno compared with the x-pipe/straight-thru setup? Can anyone with either setup comment?

With the modular engine, and HP coming up high in rpms, the x-pipe seems like a good idea. But on the otherhand, an h-pipe would help the otherwise lacking torque down low...

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 06:17 PM   #7
zeropanic
Registered Member

Exclamation

Hmm.. I think at this point, I'm not even looking for HP, more or less sound.. My pony is for show

I agree with you guys, I don't want the rice burner sound, more of the muscle car I'm going to kill your import on the strip sound.

You have to excuse me, I'm a telcom engineer, I'm just now learning the mechanics of cars... Any help would be greatly welcomed! Exp. if your in the South Carolina area.
Old 03-10-2002, 12:53 PM   #8
surfbeast
Registered Member

Zero,

If you are not really looking for horsepower than just put on the Flowmasters now. If you have the bucks put the whole system on. The dyno results show very little difference in actuall horsepower between the "H" or X" pipes. If you are into racing or are a real gear head than you can decide weather 3-5 hp is worth the cash difference. My car still has all six cats and it sounds awsome. When I get the cash I'm going with headders and a "H" pipe with a set of cats on it. If you really want to race or go fast spend the money and by a car that allready has the stock horsepower. " COBRA".
Old 03-11-2002, 10:07 AM   #9
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Yeah the straight thru mufflers w/ and X-pipe make the most power but don't sound as good Flows w/ and H-pipe. Zero, you can't hear the Am. Thunder system just the 2-chamber (40 Series) mufflers it includes. Go here http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/we...PerfMuff4.html to hear the mufflers. The recording is actually on a 5.0 but they sound very similar to the 4.6. The American Thunder kit is just the 40 series mufflers plus tail pipes and flow tubes.
With a 2.21 60ft
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
Old 03-11-2002, 10:39 AM   #10
zeropanic
Registered Member

Exclamation

Slow- Whats the manufacturer/model of the h-pipe that is emissions legal?

Thanks