MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-10-2002, 03:44 AM   #1
Rally
Registered Member

Question Necessary parts for gear change?

Can any of you who have changed the gearing on your cars comment on the parts you may have purchased for the switch. I know that ultimately you will need the ring/pinion, some sort of installation kit, and speedo corrector.

As far as the installation kits go, these seem to vary from basic to rather complex depending on whether you wanted to do a restore of the axle...?

My question is should I just buy the ring and pinion, and speedo corrector, and leave the rest for the installers to put in as necessary? or should I purchase a "complete kit" with all parts and turn it all over to the mechanics for the install? If the latter, then what is necessary of the kit?

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 04:35 AM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Nah, all you need to buy are the gears (ring and pinion). Take the gears down to Rear End specialties in Santa Clara, and have them do the install. The gears'll cost you about 160 and the install will be $225. At the same time, you're gonna need the speedo gear, but I'm not sure how much that's gonna cost, probably about $50. You can get the speedo gear from Apex motorsports, they're across the street from Rear End Specialties.

It's funny cause you're asking all the questions I was asking when my GT was stock. Now I know the answers, and I'm helping you. Soon, you'll know and you'll be helping others. The cycle of Stang knowledge continues...

Come to think of it, you can just shoot me an email whenever you have a specific question and I'd be happy to help you out. Take it easy.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 12:37 PM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

What gear ratio are you going to use? If you go with 3.55s then you can use the 21 tooth speedo gear. Otherwise if you go 3.73s or steeper get the mechanical speedometer compensator. The 21 tooth is the biggest you can put in the T45. The T45 has a 8 tooth internal drive gear. The 23 tooth, which some will recommend and by the way will still not be totally acurate, will be destroyed in a couple months because it DOES NOT mesh with the 8 tooth internal drive gear. You would need a 7 tooth internal drive gear for it to work but you can not get a 7 tooth for the GT T45. Only the Cobra has a 7 tooth in the T45. I"ve already been thru all this with my 96 so I know. If you go 3.73s or steeper and want your speedometer and odometer to read correctly you will need to get a mechanical speedometer compensator. I know Dallas Mustang has them. Other things needed for the install are the pinion bearing, crush sleeve, ring/pinion, pinion nut, shims, friction modifier, and rear gear lube (80W140 I believe is the weight Ford recommends).
Old 03-11-2002, 04:19 PM   #4
Rally
Registered Member

Thanks for your info 96GTS. I'm going with 3.73s, and I have definitely scoured the archives on info about your 21-23-7-8 tooth adventures. Boy, what a hassle! With so many people with GTs wanting to go taller than 3.55, you'd think SOMEONE would make a 7-tooth internal drive gear! I am planning on getting the mechanical speedo compensator from Dallas Mustang. I want to have accuracy, and besides, if I switch tire/wheel sizes, I can automatically compensate.

BTW how easily does the mechanical compensator install? Is this a "me" install, or should the rear-end guys put it in?

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
LABARINTH
Registered Member

I have a similar question. I am doing an engine swap from a 3.8L V6 to the 4.6L V8 from the cobra. I am also swapping to a T-45 trans. I know that I have to switch the rear end. Will a Ford 8.8 3:73 Ring and Pinion Set work. I found some on e-bay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1810919235

Is this all I need? What else do I need to know?

-205hp
-Sports Package
-Duel Exhaust
-LowGlow Blue Fog Lights
-PIAA Crystal Hyperwhite Headlight Bulbs
-2 JLAudio 12in. Subwoofers in Custom Enclosure
-1 Alpine V12 600W Amp
-1 Alpine V12 240W Amp
-Alpine CDA-7965 AM/FM/CD Player
- Front and Rear JLAudio 5x7 woofers and tweeters
-Razzi ground effects kit
-Custom MachIII Wing
-Custom Chrome Exhaust tips

http://www.cardomain.com/id/_labarinth_
LABARINTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:11 PM   #6
95GTS
Git jiggy

Rally: I believe the compensator installs easily. I never did get it but I think there's a back issue of MM&FF from last year sometime that did an install of one of them and it was very easy to do. If I remember correctly it has a couple wires on it and you tap into the wires on the tranny, then you flip some little switches inside the compensator to tell it which gear ratios, tire size, etc. you are running and wahlah! it's all good. I can't remember which issue it was in though. You might run a search and see if you can find anything on the install for it.

LABARINTH: I thought the V6 mustangs (97 or 98-up) used the 8.8" rear end. If not you'll need an 8.8" from a GT SN95 donor car. Then swap out the gears to 3.73s. If your car already has a 8.8", which I think it does, just do the gear swap with the 8.8" 3.73s like the GT's and Cobra's do. Same rear end, same gears.