MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-13-2002, 01:12 PM   #1
subterfuge
Registered Member

Default '01 cobra exhaust systems

Anybody out there have any opinions on the exhaust systems and what to go with? I was thinking flowmaster with some sort of h or x pipe. It sounds pretty damn good stock, and i don't want to lose the growl or get that rappy sound you here so often. I also obviously don't want to sound like a freakin import. I do do quite a bit of highway driving so i don't want something that will be obnoxiously loud either.

As far as the x or h pipe, what are the pros and cons? Who makes the best ones? What is the sound difference between the x vs. the h, and the cats vs. no cats?

Sorry for all of the questions, but the mustang is a new toy, i always played with trucks before.
subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:50 PM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

First of all there is NO WAY IN HELL you car will sound like a import.

I would got with a X pipe. They are more suited to you Cobra's powerband. As for mufflers, Flowmasters are popular, MAC's are good too. It's really a matter of opinon.

You will get a good bit more power with no cats. Plus a off-road X pipe is cheaper. If you live in a area that requires emission testing, either get one with cats or keep you stock one and put it on when you get tested.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #3
subterfuge
Registered Member

ok so x pipe with no cats, but which one? bassani, BBK, borla? how mutch louder than stock is a x pipe with flows gonna be?
subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 11:14 AM   #4
GTJim
Registered Member

The rule of thumb on the Cobra's is that if you go with an X-pipe (as opposed to an H-pipe) you want a flow-through type muffler like a Dynomax Ultra-Flo or a MagnaFlow. If you go with an H-pipe, then you should use a chambered type muffler such as the Flowmasters. If you mix the two, people say it sounds shi**y.

The H-pipe combo has a deeper sound, but makes a few less ponies. The X-pipe combo has a little bit higher pitch sound, but still sounds really good in my opinion, it is quiet at low rpms but really screams at WOT....... and it makes a few more hp too.
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra - #2277 of 3867

- MM SFC's, Bilsteins, Rear: H&R race springs, PHP IRS brace, Steeda IRS bushings, Front: MM Coilover conversion w/ Hypercoils
- JBA Headers, Bassani X-pipe, Dynomax Ultra-Flow catback
- Procharger P-1SC Stage II
GTJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:26 PM   #5
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Quote:
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra
It's people like you!

that make people like me drool

I almost wreck everytime I see a mineral grey cobra, man i love that color on that car.

sorry bout the random post
Old 03-15-2002, 12:56 PM   #6
GTJim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol

It's people like you!

that make people like me drool

I almost wreck everytime I see a mineral grey cobra, man i love that color on that car.

sorry bout the random post

Thanks, it took me a while to find this color, but perseverence paid off! It's a blast to drive
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra - #2277 of 3867

- MM SFC's, Bilsteins, Rear: H&R race springs, PHP IRS brace, Steeda IRS bushings, Front: MM Coilover conversion w/ Hypercoils
- JBA Headers, Bassani X-pipe, Dynomax Ultra-Flow catback
- Procharger P-1SC Stage II
GTJim is offline   Reply With Quote